Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65113
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:04am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Carburetor for WC Puller
Posted By: SuperM74
Subject: Carburetor for WC Puller
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:28pm
I was wondering if anyone knew which carburetor is the best for pulling? Is the Marvel Schebler or Zenith the better choice? The engine will be a 226 ci, and running no more than 2000 RPM.

Replies:
Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:31pm
A TSX 464 from a WD45 would be my choice.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:37pm
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

-------------
You can't make chicken salad, outta chicken sh*t! Proof's in the pudding!

Posted By: WildBill
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:35pm
Tsx 67 . Requires modification but flows well. Wi50 sells custom necks for the manifold . Depends where u get one but you may need to modify butterfly shaft also .

-------------
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished

Posted By: cotncrzy
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 6:47am
TSX 464 should be fine for that. Easy to find too. If you plan on building bigger in the future, look into a carb off an E gleaner. I had the # in my head, now drawing a blank. It's a tsx 864 I think. I was running a 464, increased cid. so stepped up carb, wow what a diffference!. I would think it would be fine on a 226 cid, that what it came off of.

-------------
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!

Posted By: kniesshy
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 10:14am
So a carb off a gleaner e will make a big difference??

Posted By: kniesshy
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 10:15am
Make a difference from a stock wd45 carb that is?

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 11:25am
Grab # drill bits and drill your jets out 1 or 2 sizes . Remember use # bits not fraction bits !

-------------
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:53pm
Yup....start drilling out jets in a carb is not a good idea unless you have a dyno to test your results on.

Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:10pm

At the minimum a meter to read the stoich.

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:19pm
HOW YOU FIGURE 1 OR 2 JET SIZES WILL HURT ?  YOU HAVE GUY'S ON HERE BOLTING ON ALL SORTS OF CARBS . DONT YOU THINK THE JET SIZES ARE DIFFERENT IN THOSE CARBS ? I KNOW FOR DAMN SURE THE GLEANER CARB I HAVE HAS A DIFFERENT JET CAUSE I MEASURED THE ORFICE OPENING AND FOUND IT 3 SIZES BIGGER THE TSX 464 STOCK JET ?   BOTH HAD SAME EMULSHION TUBES THO. JET MAY BE LITTLE LARGER DUE TO THE AGE OF USE AND LEAD FUEL BUT FOR SURE IT WAS LARGER THAN A STOCK 464. SO YOU HAVE GUYS ON HERE USING GLEANER CARBS AND LOVE THEM . I KNOW MINE WORKS NICE AND I ALSO HAVE A TSX 464 DRILLED AND WORKING NEVER BETTER WHEN IT COMES TO THROTTLE RESPONSE.ESPECIALLY STARTING.  DONT NEED A DYNO . BUT IF SOMEONE USES THE WRONG DRILL BITS THEY CAN SCREW IT UP MAJORLY. I FIND IT NO DIFFERENT THAN TUNING A HOLLY OR MIKUNI OR KEHIN OR WALBRO. IT'S JUST A SIMPLE UPDRAFT CARB.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:08pm
Sounds like i might should go with the TSX 464 then. We have a PTO dyno , so i will have plenty of time to do testing. Thanks for the info.

-------------

Posted By: cotncrzy
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 7:10am
My 464 had been drilled, I couldn't keep the fuel mixture rich enough. It may have been something I was overlooking. The E Gleaner carb was just cleaned and put on, I have no problem with mixture now. You see more 464 than anything, I am sure it can be made to do anything...

-------------
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 9:12am
COTN I'm sure something was messed up during the modification.  The emulshion tube cannnot be tampered with. The tube is designed by venturi's law according to throat dia. As for the jets they were interchangeable when units went to evevation .  Its funny I bought an ebay carb supposed to be modified professionaly when i got the blasted thing I installed it and it ran like crap! took it off and put it on the shelf and kit the old carb.  Years later when the pulling thing began I took it apart and inspected it and found the idiot didnt take the main jet out of the main holding tube and drilled it to the size of the orfice on the main tube ! He didnt look close enough to see there is jet inside of the holder. i bet it went from a #3 to 1/8th inch  hole.  no way a person will be able adjust that. I found some left over parts from another schebler and started over.  I now find that if you have a leak free intake system and good set of valves in the head a tsx carb is easy to tune. fyi I ordered a new manifold  last fall  installed it on a yard unit and the thing ran like crap or worse ? so i got the carb cleaner out and sprayed around to find it was not sealing at the head. took it back off and layed it on a table to notice surfaces were machined at an angle. so i had to take to my buddys machine shop and true it up taking almost .40 off the thing. junk! reinstalled and ran awesome.

-------------

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 2:44pm
I've put a few different carbs from the WD-45 and Gleaner E engines on the flowbench to pull some tests.  

Useing what I know these typical carbs will flow and figureing your 226 engine running at 2000 RPM and doing it's hard work at a lower speed than that will not need any more carb than something from a WD45, D-17 or Gleaner E. 

I have some nice take off cores, some bead blasted and rebuilt ones and some real grungy take off's if you would like one.

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 8:25pm
I have never ran under 300 inches and i have always ran the usx 21 that jt richardson put me on ten years ago. They are aggrevating but its a difference you can here and youll get aggrevated enough to try different carbs but you will end up back to the old usx 21 if you ever try one.

-------------

Posted By: Rod B
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 7:01am
Rember pankey was consistantly loseing also.

Be a winner, take your advice from others.

-------------
for the money there is nothing better than provoking idiots and posers

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:06am
Loosing is not consitent. I prefer to win but be good enough when things go wrong to still stay in the top four. We dont know how many things have to go right for most to place in the top four.heck i can usuall get thrd and fourth on three cylinders .you know why i can say tbat cause i have.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:10am
Bigger is better in cfm and cubic inches. A litte piano wire and a small hole drilled in throttle blade fixes most problems with to large of a idle circuit. No such thing as to large a carbura or or camshaft there is however such a thing as to small a cubic inches

-------------

Posted By: Ihateillinoisnazis
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Bigger is better in cfm and cubic inches. A litte piano wire and a small hole drilled in throttle blade fixes most problems with to large of a idle circuit. No such thing as to large a carbura or or camshaft there is however such a thing as to small a cubic inches

The ramblings of an idiot continue....

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 6:04pm
Let me know when someone build a engine way smaller than the cubic inch limit and wins with it.

-------------

Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm

Let me know when someone build a engine way smaller than the cubic inch limit and wins with it.
 Mitch, your way off topic here.  Read the very first post.
 And BTW read about stock tractors in my earlier topic carefully..... It is NOT necessary to build an engine to win at local, for fun pulls. Simply buy or inherit a decent running  tractor and tune it.. reseach the local rules ..make it your own. .    It isn't brain surgery...... or we would have found a cure for you....

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:36pm
Yeah ive seen where geb tells you hp wins.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Gary in da up [QUOTE Gary in da up [QUOTE wrote:

It isn't brain surgery...... or we would have found a cure for you....

ClapClapClap

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 8:21pm
Carburators fuel pasages are engineered to supply fuel for the airfloq they are rated at.so if i was needing to reengineer to larger fuel passages i would want to know where the extra air availability was coming from.
I then would run a carb that can pull the more air and fuel than needed and reduce fuel accordingly.

-------------

Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 9:59pm

Mine is 241ci running in classes with more cubes then me and I can win....just saying

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:45am
That's a quick way to wind up 100 feet behind the other competitors pank. But that's where you wind up anyway so you don't know the difference or what you are doing wron. Your posts and your results tell us the same story.

Use a carb that is sized for the engine accordingly. To large of a carb will cause a loss or torque through the engines operating range. The larger the carb the slower the air speed. Lower air speed and densitym the less ability to draw and keep fuel atomized.

-------------

Posted By: Butch(OH)
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:07am

No such thing as to large a carbura or or camshaft

You are either
A. Jerking chains
B. A whole lot less knowledgeable than I ever gave you credit for previously,,,,and that wasn't much,,,, believe me.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:09am
Ok believe it one pull you found results of and thats what i done for that one pull. It wasnt a carrer best. Put them little carbs on over fuel them for ignition timing trouble on one cylinder instead of timing from that cylinder for a closer average of the four. With luck you should be fine.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:15am
Why is it all the unbellevaible feet tractors have common ground of wisconsin and arent seen any where but wisconsin.carl beats wi little motof with a litller motor.in wisconsin

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:50am
Yeah why you think it a siameese port issue when its a timming issue. Ever checked each cylinder on a stock crank for tining difference. If you have a electronic ignition with reluctor tabs its a simple fix but a points distributor is nearly imposiible to fix without some funky grinding on points.how to large a carb lean up a siameezed issue like you tend to state over and over again in numurous posts. Why is Siameze a issue on three and four and not one and two. Timing. When you richin a carb up its done cause of a plug reading showing to lean. Which plug is it is it all of them is it one timming is set by or is it another cylinder.if it was a siameeze port feeding issue the it would show up on a compression test on a fresh build as variance in cylinder pressure cause a cylinder with more air to compress will show a higher pressure when compressed.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 9:14am
Its good to still be needed all the kids from wis with unbelievable little engines that can need instruction.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 9:53am
Wi pulled his page two post. Why did you.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

No such thing as to large a carbura or or camshaft

You are either
A. Jerking chains
B. A whole lot less knowledgeable than I ever gave you credit for previously,,,,and that wasn't much,,,, believe me.
there is such a thing as two small a cubic inches for a big carb. Or big cam. For instance a cam that makes a 283 non streetable is verry streetable in 400 inches a carb to big for a 283 can be to small for 400 inches.tell me what rpm range 280 degrees of advertise duration runs power rpm range on 4.5 stroke then tell me where it is on 6.5 inches of stroke.heres you one to ponder butch. Ford and chevy both built 302 inch percormance engines and 427 performance engines either could be purchased with one 780 holley or two 780 holleys .

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:13am

Wi pulled his page two post. Why did you.

Because I don't have countless hours to alienate you this week.....we know you're an idiot and we don't need to prove the same thing every 2 weeks.

But I do think with those timeing issues you think you have, you need to find someone to index crankshafts properly when grinding. 

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:29am
I think you dont know the difference in timing variance between cylinders and a rich lean fuel condition. Just inexperience covering up one for another.

-------------

Posted By: unstylish_
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:41am
Mitch, if you'd ever been to Wisconsin you'd see that there is no reason to go anywhere else. As far as tractors not pulling anywhere else, where have you been pulling lately? Oh yeah..... Or were you pulling in fantasy land again? Oh sorry, your reality. Where the " ruler is named compression" and some other crap. Y did you ever change that wonderful saying you used to have?

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:52am
Unstylish you made a.comment on yt about a computer timing controlled allis with.individual coil packs. Would you care to tell the forum the thoughts that ma e a dude go through the efforts to do so.
Experience enduring problems and solving in time that others havent had the time to endure yet let alone work out. The reason engines come to us to fix what others cant.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 3:34pm
Is that going to your slogan when you take something to someone elses machine shop and call it your own? I wanted tohave a tractor with out a distributor. You know why ? It'd be cool. I never did it on an ac. Instead I dud one on an mm hd800 for a guy who ran 4500 rpms with a pair of 4 barrels on it. It was just an expirament . Because we could .As far as computerized timing goes, that project is probably going to happen in a few months. You should be able to figure out the advantages of that, yourself. I'd hope. Did you get your motor that you were so busy assembling done? did you get your "brothers" from Michigan done? You must have to secretive about them, so no on talks them out of pissing their money away on the likes of your ability. Im afraid this is probably all the time I'll have to respond to you this week. Beating you down has become so old lately and my the guy i work for is having open heart wed morning. I still have a lot of moline machine work to complete, including getting ready to finally complete ethans motor .

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 3:42pm
I know the advantages of timing each cylinder individually. Its obvious your buddies dont. They must think that 10 degrees advance on 1 is 10 on all but thats just not always the case. Inless the reluctor tabs on the electronic pickup have been bent to compensate and that takes having top dead center marked for every cylinxer as well. Most are to lazy to do thate.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:06pm

Its good to still be needed all the kids from wis with unbelievable little engines that can need instruction.

Can you speak english? I swear a 5 year old can write better sentences, ones that actually make sense too.

Its funny though spank, all the "little" engines that could from Wisconsin can, and win. And continue to win. Nothing of any good seems to roll outta TN

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:09pm
Dont see them out of wis.winning.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:19pm
If you read statistics the badger is the hardest to compete. I'm not from Wisconsin but I do know Panky will have his ass handed to him if he ever showed. Pankyyouwilllose. Mayb he can read that? Idk

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:26pm
Seams like everyone comes south to pull in the winter but dont recall a wis.tractor winning.
Even though most of us tn boys get dqued so yanks can win.seams like the carpet baggers still want to impose their rules.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:48pm

Seams like everyone comes south to pull in the winter but dont recall a wis.tractor winning.
Even though most of us tn boys get dqued so yanks can win.seams like the carpet baggers still want to impose their rules.

Well it tends to get like -800* up here with 30ft of snow, so its a lil hard to pull tractors. Nothing from WI wins huh? Mine wins, wi50 wins, another one he did work on wins, I've pulled against it, Allis200puller wins with his. Ratitude won in gordyville....

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:03pm
Somebody read the little engj.e that could way to much on them snowed in days.

-------------

Posted By: O.P.S. Heads
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:37pm
If you can't have too big of a carb, then why didn't all 350 Chevy's come with an 1150 dominator? Hell, why on earth did they ever make so many different sizes of carburetors for so many application over the years? Stupid engineers. They have no idea what they are doing obvioulsy.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 9:22pm
Lol! Who needs carbs, just throw a garden hose in the manifold and let the gas flow!
Here's a pic that fits are town clown pretty good. Too much inbreedin going on.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 9:58am
Originally posted by O.P.S. Heads O.P.S. Heads wrote:

If you can't have too big of a carb, then why didn't all 350 Chevy's come with an 1150 dominator? Hell, why on earth did they ever make so many different sizes of carburetors for so many application over the years? Stupid engineers. They have no idea what they are doing obvioulsy.
if you go to the drag strip youll find them there on 350 . you will also find that most of the qjet and carter afb flow in the 900 cfm range but it was vacuum dependent if the engine couldnt pull enough vacuum to open it to 900 cfm then it opened to the cfm needed. Same with a gov its only going to open the carb as needed to maintain engine set rpm . Carb should never be wide open at high idle if i t is its to small . if the fuel paassages have to be enlarged to keep it from being lean its to small.  if i have a no carb rule and i find myself with the jet sizes for a 850 in my 750 holley why not use a 850 .

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:27am

if you go to the drag strip youll find them there on 350 . you will also find that most of the qjet and carter afb flow in the 900 cfm range but it was vacuum dependent if the engine couldnt pull enough vacuum to open it to 900 cfm then it opened to the cfm needed. Same with a gov its only going to open the carb as needed to maintain engine set rpm . Carb should never be wide open at high idle if i t is its to small . if the fuel paassages have to be enlarged to keep it from being lean its to small.  if i have a no carb rule and i find myself with the jet sizes for a 850 in my 750 holley why not use a 850 .

What??? None of your ramblings make any sense. Babbling and spewing doesn't make you sound smarter spunky. Haven't you figured this out yet? Post something factual with sources that aren't Wikipedia for a change, really quit spamming the forum with . Stinks like a manure pit around here with all your bull.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:34am
what opens the butterfy on a carb for a antique pulling tractor? The govenor. If the carb is large the gov is only going to open carb up enough for engine to run its governed rpm meaning the carb isnt going to flow its full cfm flow . If the gov opens a small carb full open to get high idle then you have no reserve left to maintain high idle. . If that doesnt make sense you probably shouldnt own a engine and still be riding a bicycle.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 11:19am
Then why is a four barrel a four barrel?? Why not just one big toilet bowl and let the butterfly / slide whatever is used as a metering device control the size of the carb??? Does intake velocity mean anything to you? How about the speed air is moving through a Venturi... Take a lesson on air flow sometime. If you look around Wi gives lots of good advise. Maybe you can get a free lesson.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 12:02pm
Mitch, thats the dumbest Censored statement youve made yet...if you knew ANYTHING about tractors governors or carbs at all...well, we all know that answer...You OBVIOUSLY dont know chit about govs and carbs.  Whick goes back to your story about turning 6000 rpms when your gov broke,..all cock n bull lies.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
unstylish i knew you where still riding a bicycle.  3456 rule
you obviously never set a gov throttle linkage either . cause if you have you know with the engine off throttle pulled wide open you want the carb wide open.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 3:27pm

If you had ever flowed one instead of reading BS on the internet and then posting it here you would know that Q jets came in two sizes only. The smaller one would flow between 730 and 750 and the best of the larger ones would make 800. I have less time with the AFB but dont remember one over 800. This would be with castings that had to make stock rules at an NHRA meet and at the standard vacuum for 4 barrel carbs or 1 1/2" Ya Spankster, even dumb ole Butch has spent some hours on a flow bench. 
Now, when the magic carb BSers want to fool idiots  into thinking they own some magic wand for carbs they simply flow them at a higher vacuum such as the 3" vacuum that is standard for flowing 2 barrel carbs or pic whatever reading you want, the higher you run the vacuum the more CFMs yo can crow about.  Then add some polish, put it in a bright colored box with Hi-flow written on it and idiots like you line up to buy them.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:08am
Hey spankey, on page 1 you say you ran a usx21 carb. Then go on to say to run a big carb and trim the fuel. Why do you then say that you can never have a carb to big?

Contradicting isn't it. A usx21 isn't that big of a carb. It's capeable of less than half the airflow of what wi50 was uses on his Allis.

Now I understand that when you can't get much air through a cylinder head, it's pointless to put a big carb on.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:41pm
I think i will go with pankey, i will make a inverted manifold and put a 1050 Dominator on it........ LOL!!! I think that should feed the 226 just fine, then have a custom cam ground.... How about 270 duration @ .050, 106 centerline, and 640 lift. That should really do the trick for a 2000 rpm engine.... LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by SuperM74 SuperM74 wrote:

I think i will go with pankey, i will make a inverted manifold and put a 1050 Dominator on it........ LOL!!! I think that should feed the 226 just fine, then have a custom cam ground.... How about 270 duration @ .050, 106 centerline, and 640 lift. That should really do the trick for a 2000 rpm engine.... LOL
i have never figured out why anyone puts big bofes long strokes big duration and little bitty staring carbs .

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm

i have never figured out why anyone puts big bores long strokes big duration and little bitty staring carbs .

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Hey spankey, on page 1 you say you ran a usx21 carb. Then go on to say to run a big carb and trim the fuel. Why do you then say that you can never have a carb to big?

Contradicting isn't it. A usx21 isn't that big of a carb. It's capeable of less than half the airflow of what wi50 was uses on his Allis.

Now I understand that when you can't get much air through a cylinder head, it's pointless to put a big carb on.

-------------

Posted By: Mrgoodwrench
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:33am
why is everyone just quoting themselves?

-------------
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

why is everyone just quoting themselves?

-------------
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:36am
To show his contradictions of his actions vs his crappy advice

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:58am
i was thinking more of pankey quoting himself in consecutive posts  1 min apart

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:27am
Us. 21 will so 300 cfm without work. Just how small a carb would you want to finx in 350. To 468 inches. Thats wherea the problem lies build rwice the cubic inches and try to run the samecarb that came on 226 inches rated at 45 horsepower.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:54am
Rob carburator cfms are always higher than cylinder head airflows on engines 1150 cfm carb will easily be placed on 350 cfm of cylinder head aifflow.a engine is rated in cubic inches of displacement. If it displaces 400 cubic in hes of air it is know as a 400 cubic inch engine. It displaces that wither the butterflies are open or close. The difference is the density of the air.the more they butterflies are open the more dense the air is but the barrel will only flow so much so wben its not dense enough barrel size should increase. Then fuel increase to keep the dense mixture from being lean.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 11:13am

Us. 21 will so 300 cfm without work. Just how small a carb would you want to finx in 350. To 468 inches. Thats wherea the problem lies build rwice the cubic inches and try to run the samecarb that came on 226 inches rated at 45 horsepower.

Who ever sold you that carb sure took you for a ride. They were used on jd 3010's and will n not move anywhere close to 300 cfm. With or without work. Though they are good for half that.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 11:56am
Beter get marty to check on for you. They came on 4010 . Either way a tsx 464 aint going to outflow it.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:25pm
Pank slow down when you type words !!! Look at the horsesh!t spelling dude!!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 6:46pm
Sometime when I have a bit more time I'll post up some carb tricks and math. How to figure venturi size for the engine and how to figure efficiency to size things appropriatly for the application.

BTW. Usx 21 was used on JD 3010 and 4010 tractors. They are a poor choice because of the layout of the internals. Just to short to get any short side radius to line the air up with the venturi. It's just not an efficient package to start with when there's better choices redialy available. It worked for it's application, supporting 80 hp and poorly mixing a lot of fuel.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 6:55pm
It was good for dense air and farmers disliked them for the fuel they burned verses other carbs. This post started out about getting more fuel through a carb. A tsx 464 if i remember.the larger the displacement the larger the throttle bores the smaller the displacement the smaller it will like even if they have the same overall airflow demand due to peak rpm being the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:04pm

It was good for dense air and farmers disliked them for the fuel they burned verses other carbs. This post started out about getting more fuel through a carb. A tsx 464 if i remember.the larger the displacement the larger the throttle bores the smaller the displacement the smaller it will like even if they have the same overall airflow demand due to peak rpm being the difference.

Just when we think you can't get any dumber... The ramblings of an idiot continue. 

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 5:22am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Sometime when I have a bit more time I'll post up some carb tricks and math. How to figure venturi size for the engine and how to figure efficiency to size things appropriatly for the application.

woohoo!! something productive.  
 Pank, you are not required to reply to all of Wi's posts, in fact, alot of us would prefer if you didnt, cause then everything turns into a pissing match.  if you have something you feel is productive to share then lets leave it at that.

Guys, can we trim the drama.  Its seems more and more get dragged in.  I understand the frustration with certain members, but egging on isnt curbing anything.  

How many topics have turned from a few lines of useful information to page after page of bull?

I apologize for the rant, and im not trying to take sides here, we arent one color VS another, were all here for orange......

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:52am
ok throttle bore 1.25 x venturi . your wrong also wi and andy choose to pull other brands.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 8:12am

ok throttle bore 1.25 x venturi . your wrong also wi and andy choose to pull other brands.

Other brands AND Allis. You really need to get your facts straight before posting on the Internet. You continue to make yourself look stoooopid.   ...and no spank, no one is imitating your junk. People on here are looking to be winners. You have proven you aren't a winner. Remember spAnk... Five hooks and boom.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:08am
Pank, I'm pretty sure every tractor I own could kick your butt cause all it has to do is start! I've made scrap into competitive pulling tractors. You've made competitive pulling tractors into scrap.

-------------
Arguing with mlpankey is very much like arguing with a woman. Only you can teach a woman after a while.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by unstylish_ unstylish_ wrote:

Pank, I'm pretty sure every tractor I own could kick your butt cause all it has to do is start! I've made scrap into competitive pulling tractors. You've made competitive pulling tractors into scrap.
i doubt it even if you pushed it that it would run to even ride to tn let alone pull . but if it will you have made a big turn around in a short time from sleeping with parts to assembing them

-------------

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:15am
Ive got video of Andys tractor at a pull from last summer....

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:32am
I sold that big crank on the classifieds here on unofficial Allis. I built the motor I'm running a few yrs ago. The Professional Weegie just helped it run alot better. It's ok. I wouldn't waste my time going to tn. You could never be depended on to show up regardless. Besides if I wanted more competition I've got Wisconsin

-------------
Arguing with mlpankey is very much like arguing with a woman. Only you can teach a woman after a while.

Posted By: arcticcat
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:35am
Unstylish contact me when you can

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 12:30pm
listen to the crying reasons already for not pulling and getting beat by me .

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:26pm
Again, all I have to do is start my tractor to beat you. There is no crying. Simple reasoning will show  that there is no good way to compare our efforts. After all, you dont even have a tractor. Secondly, I have nothing to prove,  Third, You have proven yourself as slimy and spineless as any liberal or politician, and finally, beating you would be like beating a retard. Id still lose, because, well, you are a retard.  Say what ever youd like, because, for the record, I have no interest or time to be concerned with traveling all the way to your neck of the woods in order to prove to ? WHO ? that you are an idiot. I believe you are the only one who thinks anything of your own abilities. Therefore, There would be no benefit for me. Besides you remind me of one of those guys with an excuse for ANY occasion.  Im pretty sure that EVERYONE between here to YT has you pegged for what you are. But its ok, little buddy, cause you did admit to living in a fantasy world, so do everyone a favor and return. I hear the village is missing their idiot. Thx, and have a wonderful day.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 3:26pm
Please let us know when we can see you pull "jealous mitch"

Anyway I said when I have time I'd give a little explanation of the carb sizeing.

1st rule to understand is that air is not drawn into the engine by the cylinder.  No matter what you may think or believe it simply isn't true.  Air is pushed in by atmospheric pressure, not drawn in.  An engine makes more power at sea level than at 10,000 feet right.  The oxygen content is abut the same at both, but the air is much denser at sea level, it's got more "push" to get it into the cylinder. 

Still don't believe it, why does a turbocharged engine make more power?  the air is forced into the cylinder, for every atmosphere of pressure, the engine thinks it's double in size.  Our naturally aspirated 301 for example makes 80 HP, give it 15 psi of boost and it's got more power, 30 PSI and power has doubled.  At least in theory, there's a loss from thermal inefficeincy.

It takes a certain amount of "depression" or lack of pressure for a carb to work properly.  That is the difference in pressure from atmospheric to the manifold, intake port.  Cylinder pressure may be less, the valve restricts flow, the manifold, the intake port is not a verry efficeint place to transfer air. 

The standard testing pressure or "dperession" is 1.5"hg or 1.5" of mercury for a 4 barrel carb.  2 barrels are rated at 3"hg.  1.5" hg is about 20.4" H2O and 3"hg is about 40.8" H2O.  So if I'm compareing some flow numbers I'm going to test and rate all these single barrel updraft tractor carbs at 40.8" H2O when I pull a test on them on the flow bench.  It takes more depression or a greater pressure differential for them to work over a 4 barrel downdraft carb.

It also takes a lot more air speed through these single barrel carbs to vaporize the fuel.  They just are not as good at drawing fuel out of that large straw and out of the sump than a nice Holley is with booster venturi's.  We need to keep more pressure differential in the single barrel updraft in order for it to work properly.  Or in simple terms, the air speed needs to be higher to vaporize the fuel.

So why will an engine make more power with a 4 barrel downdraft on it than a single barrel updraft?  It gets more air through the downdraft.  Atmospheric pressure is able to fill the cylinder better, there's less pressure difference, meaning that the air is free to fill the cylinder more so than through the updraft.  Well sort of anyway...... we'll cover more on that later.

So now we understand that it takes more air speed through that single barrel updraft to make it function.  What happens when it's to big?  The air speed is to slow and it does a poor job of picking up the fuel it needs to carry.  The signal from the cylinder is transfered to the venturi through the valve opening, the intake port and the manifold.  This signal is what the carb needs in order to pick up and carry the fuel.  A poor flowing head, poor valve angles, poor flowing manifold will not transfer the signal as well as one with improvements.

Now we see the importance of head, cam, manifold work.  The engine is the same size, but it's much easier for that atmpshpere to find it's way into the cylinder, which brings us to rule # 2, which is air does not like to turn corners.

It's got to snake it's way into the carb, bend, go up through the venturi, around the throttle plate, in a manifold and around a bunch of bends and corners before stumbling on a valve and into it's usefull place in the engine.  With the downdraft, we eliminate some of these corners. 

So the original poster wants a carb to feed his 226 engine at 2000 RPM.  The standard formula is Displacement X RPM divided by 3456 = Carb CFM rateing.  So 2000X226 / 3456 is 130 CFM. 

But we don't want 130 CFM, our engine is not efficient use, and 2000 RPM is to high, in the 2000 RPM rateing, we probably want peak torque to be at 1600, meaning that it'll be fine at 2000 or at 1200.  Then take some for the ineffiiciency of the engine and we want closer to 100 CFM for it, a little more is great.  

A venturi is an orfice.  Every orfice has a coefficient of flow.  Good, bad or otherwise.  A venturi has a pretty good flow coefficient.  Meaning that a venturi can flow more air per square inch of area than a straight pipe can.  Take that straight pipe and put a radius around the end, it'll flow more air, radius the inlet and the outlet and it'll flow even more.  GIve it a better radius, like the end of a tuba or a velocity stack and it'll flow even more for a given size and test pressure, or lack of pressure (deprression)

Our "orfice" or venturi can flow about 180 CFM per square inch of area when tested in the updraft carb.  So a carb with a 1.12" diameter venturi can flow about 180 CFM of air. 

So if I take a carb with a 1.12" venturi and flow test it, why does it only flow 130 CFM?  The math says it should flow 180 CFM but it doesn't.  If I take and increase the inlet and discharge coefficient of flow, it will flow more air.  When I get it perfect it'll flow the 180 cfm but it's a long road to get it perfect.  It needs help to get the air lined up with the venturi, it needs lots of bowl modifications.  These single barrel updraft carbs have verry little short side radius for the air to bend around and line up with the venturi.  They have a thick throttle shaft and throttle plate for the air to have to go around once it exits the venturi.

So do some bowl modifications, trick the air into going around a longer radius to line up with the venturi, thin the throttle shaft, but shape it like an airplane wing, leading edge on front and a short radius on the back side.

The choke shaft and choke blade are another source of loss.  I've seen a lot of them removed because people think it helps to take them out.  It doesn't.  Typically a carb flows less air with the choke removed than with it in.  Take and rotate the choke blade a few degrees to offer a little "lift" to the incomeing air charge and direct it into the venturi better, the carb flows more air with it lifting the air than with it laying flat.

We wanted a carb for a 226 CID at 2000 RPM.  Can anyone tell me how large the venturi is in a TSX 464?  It's about .940" in diameter.  In stock form that carb has a hard time to break 100 CFM mark on the flow bench.  Lets take the .940" venturi and figure out what it could flow in theory.  In a perfect world up to about 130 CFM.  THough currently without any carb enhancements it's closer to 100 CFM.  Rember what we wanted for a 2000 RPM engine in the first place?....... right in that area.

Also rember we need a lot of air speed for this single barrel updraft carb to work.  More air speed is better, provideing our "resistance" to atmospheric pressure isn't to great to harm performance.  Excessive depression is robbing power.  We need enough to make things work, but to much means things are to restrictive.  Rember the turbocharged example, boost is positive pressure.  The more pressure, the bigger the breath of air.  An engine running at 25"hg depression makes verry little power, in fact it's enough to idle. The same engine at 7"hg depression is makeing some power. 

We don't need a bigger venturi, the carb is sized pretty good for it's application.  The carb is even better with a little help in terms of bowl mods, throttle shaft mods, throttle plate, etc.

Maybe I want to feed a 380 CID Allis at 2064 RPM, lets say that the cam is ground, nice head and manifold work, etc. I did everything I could to maximize the flow coefficient of the orfice leading from Mother Nature into the engines cylinder.  The rules say I can peak out at 2064 RPM, so I may figure I want peak torque at say 1700 for an engine package that will perform well all the way through it's expected operating range...... I want to put about 180 CFM rateing on that engine, or a carb with a 1.2" venturi, and everything optimized in the carb.  I want to work dang hard perfecting the airflow pattern through the carb...... I could put a carb on with a 1.9" venturi, but the engine is going to run and when the load hits, it's going to fall on it's face. 

This 380 CID operating at that speed can use a TSX 66, 67 or like carb.  Minne Moline used them.  A bone stock one cleaned up flows roughly 130 CFM.  With a custom venturi made to blend into the bowl, some throttle shaft work, and lots of scientific bowl work that carb can be made to flow in excess of 180 CFM.  Guess what's a great match for these engines.

A larger venturi can be made to work well with less signal.  The use of a small venturi inside a large venturi or the use of a "booster" venturi is helpfull getting a stronger signal at the fuel nozzle.  I can now run a venturi that is a little to large and help the low speed performance through the booster.

Some of you used this carb from "dumb luck" some from others reccomondation, or others tried a few things and found it to be a good match......well guess what?  you're right.  A Holley 1150 Dominator is a poor choice for this application.  The engine is to small and moveing to slow, the manifold and the ports to restrictive for our atmpshpere to push it's way into the engine with enough speed to carry any fuel in form to make any power.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 5:25pm
Put to small a venturi on it and you will choke it even more if yor air speed hits the magic number. Simple sentence but a true one.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:36pm
Some people just simply have little to do..... Wi50, seems to be very knowledgeable when it comes to the I.C.E.    I.C.E. is Internal Combustion Engine Spankey, just incase that confused you.... LOL!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:59pm
yeap if you work out of a barn like  marty be leary of droping your chewing gum . especially if its a barn with chickens.
I am so glad i have a full line automotive shop . its easy to tell grease from wrigleys

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:00pm

Put to small a venturi on it and you will choke it even more if yor air speed hits the magic number. Simple sentence but a true one.

Duuurrrrr!! Way to go caption obvious!  You really are bright, maybe you're finally learning something! 

yeap if you work out of a barn like  marty be leary of droping your chewing gum . especially if its a barn with chickens.
I am so glad i have a full line automotive shop . its easy to tell grease from wrigleys

Have you ever met Marty, or been in his shop? You really do talk like a man with a paper a$$ you spineless prick. You have nothing to show besides the fact that you are a retard with a keyboard.

Spunky, your old man must have jerked off on a flower pot, you really are a blooming idiot. Go away troll.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:03pm

If you had paid attention and understand what's spelled out in fron of you, you'd understand    that's why you figure out the airflow requirements of the engine. Then figure the carbeurator venturi size. Pay attention to wi and learn something.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:15pm
Whats the name and address of your shop Spankey, i am going to Nashville in a few weeks for a small vacation... I might swing by and check your operation out....

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:22pm
Or, what is your website? Most reputable automotive machine sites have a web page... I.E. Custom Race Engines, Cornett Automotive, Jay Dickens Racing Engines, Riverside, Haisley Machine..... You get the idea...

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 7:51am

Or, what is your website? Most reputable automotive machine sites have a web page... I.E. Custom Race Engines, Cornett Automotive, Jay Dickens Racing Engines, Riverside, Haisley Machine..... You get the idea...

Key word being "reputable" Pank is a legend in his own mind only. One engine pieced together in the bathroom of a buddy's shop and it went KABOOM!    after 5 runs and lots of time searching the internet and playing with online calculators.  Hooks, wins and intelligent posts talk but BS walks and Pank has worn out a lot of shoes.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 8:08am
Hes what my dad would call a two week veteren.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 8:33am
I really get a kick out of some of these "keyboard commando's" like spankey. It doesn't matter if you're on a tractor pulling website, or my other hobby, long range shooting. These guys are all the same. Never done much, tried in a publoc arena and weren't as good as they thought. So they resort to trying to controll a forum by spewing BS and attacking a few members who know, makeing it impossiable for those who don't know to decipher any good and usefull information from the random BS.

Then they get off on being on a forum for longer than someone else. Well I don't think real knowledge has anything to do with how long someone's been pissing their days away hideing behind a keyboard. Real knowledge comes from practical experience with the subject at hand.

Now I've put in a lot of time with "real experts", not the internet ones. But friends who you can talk to in person who have gotten their hands dirty and layed awake figureing it out. Spent tens of thousands of dollars of earned income playing on the pulling track, the flowbench and in the shop as many of you have. It doesn't make me an expert, but it sure does help me build a well performing all around engine package.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:38am
once again 184 starlet circle cleveland tn 373232 or the other shop 727 reynolds bridge rd benton  tn 37307. I dont know how many times a guy has to post this. Some never understand straight forward wording if its not a page long bs post by wi

-------------

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:53am
Getting back to the original question, (and I forgot what it was after four pages of dart throwing) the TSX464 carb would work fine with your stock or slightly modified engine. Marty mentioned about air density from down draft to updraft carbs. I agree. The main reason why I hone and smooth the intake bores of the pulling carbs I do for some of my customer's to increase the air speed. If we can get the air moving faster through an updraft unit, that increases its ability to produce more reliable power which can equate to torque increases also. Be careful just drilling out jets on carbs that will only flow an 'x' amount of air. As a rule of thumb, you can kick most carbs up one step or possibly two in jet size, and in this case on a 464, but then you start to take unit out of the realm of its stochiometric air/fuel mix. A modified engine of coarse would need a larger air/fuel mixer to make adaquit power and good ingestion, but again, it depends on what power range you want to put the engine into. Increasing air speed and establishing the right mix of fuel will increase the torque range. And Torque, as we know is pullin' power....
mailto:Steve@B&B" rel="nofollow - Steve@B&B

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 10:31am
Well said Steve. 

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 5:59am
if the air speed is to fast it will choke the engine but in steves case removing material would enlarge the opening decreasing the velocity

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:52am
You don't really need to waste your time replying pankey. Wi already covered that id you were smart enough to rember what you read in his posts.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 11:25am
THANKS STEVE IN NJ FOR CLEARING UP MY PREVIOUS POST TO WHO ARGUED WITH ME YOU CANNOT DRILL THE JETS 1 OR 2 SIZES. AS I HAD STATED IN THE POST THE EMUSHION TUBE IS DESIGNED TO THE VENTURI DIA. I WILL AGREE ON POLISHING THE VENTURI TO SPEED THE AIR COMING IN. PANKY SHUTUP!! THE 464 IS A GREAT CARB AND I FOUND THE SMALL UP GRADES BRING A NICE IMPROVEMENT ON OPERATION AND TUNING. ITS NOT GOING IN THE CARB AND  HOGGING IT OUT OR BUTCHERING IT!!  PAY ATTENTION TO THE CARBS DETAIL. NOT ALL ARE ALIKE. I ALSO MAKE SURE THE BUTTERFLY SHAFT IS SEALED AND NOT SLOPPED OUT. I LIKE WI'S STATMENT" AIR CANNOT TURN CORNERS"       FIND THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 4:20pm
The magic number is. Drumroll please the speed of sound. Dummies sometimes the ones who say they have a flow bench are just full of it. Smoke and mirrors.if they dont understand what they are doing. He still hasnt posted the first formula either. Ut did find time to post a couple of more times his typical bs.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net