Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57634
Printed Date: 11 Jun 2024 at 10:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: HD5/HD6/HD-344 Power Unit Radiator Interchage
Posted By: orangeman
Subject: HD5/HD6/HD-344 Power Unit Radiator Interchage
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 9:48am
Guys:  Work is progressing to bring the venerable HD6 G Shovel back to life.  One defect I noticed was the radiator on my HD6G is in dire need of replacement.  

Am looking through parts books and see the following listed for the Radiator Assembly:

HD5 G - Part Number 050516
HD6 G - Part Number 092023 also a hand written parts number appears to supercede that shows 70649436 (includes armored tubes at rear of core). 
D-344 Industrial Engines and Power Units - Part Number 4348919

Do any of you guys know if there is any interchangeability between the above? 

If not I will need to tap your knowledge to obtain a good vendor(s) that can provided a good core for my original radiator.

I welcome and appreciate any and all comments.  Thank-you...Orangeman

Replies:
Posted By: dadsdozerhd5b
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 7:27pm
i would think the hd6 rad would be bigger as it has a bigger engine and more heat. i think they were the same housing but not sure. sit down when you get the price of a core. last i heard they were in the 1200 dollar range but i thought that was high. i have no good source, sorry. good luck

-------------
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 7:57pm
HD5 is open system and not a pressure unit , unsure of the others . You might check some sizes and see what else might fit as far as truck unit. I believe the HD6 was wider in front mount and radiator was larger than the 5 could accommodate. 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: Jay Tyrrell
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:12pm
I'm no rocket sciencetist but my HD6G didn't have radiator in it when i got it.               Took a radiator from a forklift at work (JLG G9-43A) and made it fit. Had to move lower port on the radiator, that was pretty much it. Could have moved the radiator fill cap to center but the Gas/Ax was cheaper, and I cut a hole in the hood off to the side for access. Radiator was off a 100HP engine so it has plenty a capacity. Works great.
My Point:
Any heavy duty radiator will work as long as the fisical size fits. Moving ports and making suport bracets is alot cheaper then $1,200 core

Posted By: ac_sd
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 12:32am
HD-5 and HD-6 radiators are completely different... Not sure about the 344 Power unit radiator.

Posted By: orangeman
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 6:59pm
Anyone on here seen or heard of a Buda or AC HD-344 in application.  The must have been put in something but what I am not sure.  Maybe barges or tugs?

I have only seen one picture of a HD-344 and it was coupled to a generator.   

I know the military used the 7000 engine but that engine is a bit different than the early HD-344 block.  

Any thoughts or comments on applications would be of great help!

Thank-you..Orangeman

Posted By: Ages Cat
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 7:48pm
The 344 was used in the HD-6, prior to serial number  13322. After that it became the 6000 with pencil type injectors which started better and ran much cleaner. The T-16 four wheel drive tractor also used the 344, along with the 145 and M70 motor grader and the  TL-14 and TL-16 wheel loaders. i have  2 HD-6's one with a 6000 and one with a 344 converted to  a 6000. They are good little engines that start great and don't use a lot of fuel.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net