Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48113
Printed Date: 09 Jun 2024 at 12:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Expensive toys
Posted By: Steve allis dozer
Subject: Expensive toys
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 5:52am
Have $12000 into the engine rebuild   for  my HD11EP  project  brought this tractor in 1995 has has been a long time but it is finaly coming together!!

Replies:
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:01am

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:03am

Posted By: Chris/CT
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:50am
That's going to be purdy when done, well worth your efforts and purse book drain, nice to see folks going the "extra" to preserve the old AC Machines. They just don't build em' like they use to.

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 4:39am
That the early EP with power brakes, Twin Disc converter, and tall forward gearing Steve?

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:11am
Only 12,000? ....cheaper than getting married !

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:37am
Yes has power brakes , twin disc convertor, am not sure on gearing,   the radiator  top grill is made of welded mesh insted of pressed holes  like the late ones
Regards Steve

Posted By: doctorcorey
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:11am

Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Only 12,000? ....cheaper than getting married !
  I hear that: a lot cheaper than getting a divorce.Cry

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:49pm
Steve I have a great appreciation for guys like you that take on these big projects, Besides that crawler's are in a special category cuz they are hard to move once your done therefore not easy to show. Thanks for posting the pics    Mark

Posted By: John (C-IL)
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:47pm
I can appreciate that. Keep up the good work, you'll have a nice machine when you are done.Smile

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 2:42am
Your rebuild job is very impresive Steve. The grill you mentioned would be to allow better cooling. My EP (same model) gave cooling problems until I fitted a grill that allowed much more air flow. I made one with 3/8 rock sreening mesh. Unrestricted air flow with good shielding against tree limbs and scrub. Keep up the good work.    Mac

Posted By: Ian Beale
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:24am
Steve and Mac

The fashion around here is to make a grille with flat plate at about 45 degrees up and wide enough that they shield one another from the front.  Some of our sticks can be real trouble if you push into the head of a tree with mesh in front.  And this design doesn't seem to restrict the cooling.

If I work out how to post a photo I have one of these on our FA 10 but the description should work.

Ian

Posted By: Ian Beale
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:41am
Steve,

Been down a similar engine track with an AC "Forty Five".

Came with a dead engine (rod bearing).  Tripped over a short motor out of a liquidation sale - with "overhauled injection pump".

Plus local help and we had two good heads and 15 injectors to test.  Got 8 useable.

Then found a massive diesel leak into sump.  Now know more about Am Bosch rotary pumps.  The "overhaul" left ihe bottom O-ring out of the head sealing, squashed the clip holding the sub-tappet to the head for install and was one tooth out on timing.

Then we had return to idle problems, which diesel apprentice son tracked down (over about a day) to a burr on the control shaft that runs the spill valve in the head.

We've seen a lot of the insides of one of these pumps!  Including the strategic extra wire on the govenor linkage on our test model from the original engine.

It started OK timed one tooth out - but the plunger was hydraulic locking until the port opened.  Now needs a short squirt if ether, but runs fine after that.  I think I can live with this - it is a ranch grader - but comments would be welcome

Ian

Posted By: HD6 Merv
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 11:47pm
Great effort Steve. One hell of alot of work; but if you,ve got the patience; knowhow; money; and a great workshop; you can fully rebuild most dozers; and at least then you know what you,ve got and can hopefully expect 6000+ hours of trouble free dozing. Tongue
To my way of thinking is a better option; and cheaper; than going new. Down here at the bottom of the world a new D6 is about 600,000 pacific pesos, and i can think of better things to spend that amount of coin on Cry Not that i have anywhere near that anyway; but will have to do some major rebuilding to my D6D this winter.
Hows your other crawlers going ? Don,t be shy put some pics up of them too Big smile
Cheers Merv

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:51am
wow...that's a clean work area!!! whew!

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:03am
  G'day merv here's some pics for you  Series B  Allis with  a stick rake  that I made  

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:04am

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:25am
[TUBE]e1yn9oASg-s&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]

Posted By: HD6 Merv
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:15pm
Very impressive mate; thank you for posting.
cheers Merv

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: Faron
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 5:51am

I just thought i would check up on your rebuild and see how it is going. My 16 is in the corner of the shed taking up space as i can not bring my self to put it to work so I bought DX175 and use it instead.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net