Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43944
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 7:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Crawler Picture Post.
Posted By: R.W
Subject: Crawler Picture Post.
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:01am
Please post pictures of all your crawlers and dozers!
I would like to pick up a Allis Chalmers "M" some day, but this is the only one we have now.

Replies:
Posted By: DonDittmar
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:12am
Nice D7....could do alot of work with that old girl

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Nice D7....could do alot of work with that old girl
Thanks! Hope to do some clearing with her this summer!

Posted By: StewartMD
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
Very neat.  A dozer is on my want list! 

-------------
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E

Posted By: doctorcorey
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:32pm
Nice machine. Next summer I'm a hoping to snag a HD11 or 16, but wouldn't mind a D6 or D7.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:13pm
The old D6-9U I had for 5 years and ended up to be a money pit. first had to replace a front idler, then lost oil pressure and found one throw on crank was not the best. I put rods and mains in it and just polished that one throw as the RPM was so low on engine. 
 next was trany bearing which required  replacing with used unit as it took out a gear.
then track and sprockets and i upgraded to D5 weld on rings and replaced the rear final seals , (push-puller rental for that) 
 Next the steering clutches were weak , then the trany bearings on output shaft allowed the pinion to go out of mesh taking out it's teeth, then side bearings on ring gear were also out of tolerance to one side. 
 It went to trade for a HD4 loader with a 615 AC detachable hoe, and went from grading jobs to septic work.  
 My FD5 , HD5 have been a lot less problems than the D6 , the HD4 had a few and it went when i got the 715B TLB 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

The old D6-9U I had for 5 years and ended up to be a money pit. first had to replace a front idler, then lost oil pressure and found one throw on crank was not the best. I put rods and mains in it and just polished that one throw as the RPM was so low on engine. 
 next was trany bearing which required  replacing with used unit as it took out a gear.
then track and sprockets and i upgraded to D5 weld on rings and replaced the rear final seals , (push-puller rental for that) 
 Next the steering clutches were weak , then the trany bearings on output shaft allowed the pinion to go out of mesh taking out it's teeth, then side bearings on ring gear were also out of tolerance to one side. 
 It went to trade for a HD4 loader with a 615 AC detachable hoe, and went from grading jobs to septic work.  
 My FD5 , HD5 have been a lot less problems than the D6 , the HD4 had a few and it went when i got the 715B TLB 
         How was it for getting new parts from Cat?

Posted By: Ages Cat
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:33pm
Here are examples of an HD6E and an HD6B from my collection.

uploads/556/DSCN1404.JPG" rel="nofollow - uploads/556/DSCN1404.JPG

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Ages Cat Ages Cat wrote:

Here are examples of an HD6E and an HD6B from my collection.

uploads/556/DSCN1404.JPG" rel="nofollow - uploads/556/DSCN1404.JPG
Very Nice!

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:54pm
CAT has just about every part you need NEW or their dealer network can find it in their used parts warehouses . 
 Cost on CAT parts is higher than aftermarket , I bought most of parts from small dealers in parts, but trany I got from CAT run bone-yard here in MN 
 I rented the pullers from CAT when I replaced the rear seals and welded on the new sprocket rings to fit the D5 track. 
 Cut off spokes on D6 sprocket , then welded on new ring for the bolt on D5 segments.

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: MNLonnie
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:02pm
Here are 2 of my M's.

-------------
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker

Posted By: StewartMD
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:51am
Lonnie,  Both of you M's look like alot of fun.  I see that you have 4 total!

-------------
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:22am
Nice "M's" Lonnie! Do you have any pictures of the other two?

Posted By: Orange Blood
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:42am
Coke, 

It sounds like you inherited someone else's no maintenance project.

We have in the family two old D8 2Us one D7, and a D8H, and just don't have that kind of experience.  I am glad to hear the Allis equipment you bought isn't costing you tons of money.

-------------
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:04pm

Posted By: hilltop615
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:23pm
Nice looking loader. How do you like it? I have run some late model loaders but don't have any time on the older stuff however i seem to be drawn to them.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:42am
  sorry can't figure out why the picture won't shrink to the screen size. It always worked before.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:51am
  I like it a lot, more for the simplicity than anything. I repair mostly late- model autos for a living, and I love the lack of wires and computers. Pull a lever, and something (hopefully) happens. SAS. Of course, old tractors are like old women: they don't move quite like they used to, and spare parts can be hard to come by. But paint 'em up, and keep em lubed, and they'll keep you happy! Seriously, though, she'll move a lot of dirt, makes a good light dozer, and doesn't seem to burn a lot of fuel.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:07am
The simplicity may be one of the big drawing factors for me. I enjoy tinkering with older stuff, especially when it belongs to a friend lol. Like you said everything is mechanical so you can see exactly how everything happens. They sure are fun to operate on your own place for the enjoyment as long as your not in a hurry. I've got an HD3 with a 6 way blade that i'm trying to put back in service but i would love to have a loader to go with it on day.

Posted By: chevytaHOE5674
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:09am
Here is my H3, its been a lot of fun to tinker with.

Last winter with the old brush bar on top.

This year with a roll bar pushing snow.

Posted By: MNLonnie
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:13am
RW, here are pics of the other 2 although not too impressive. One is just for parts and the other I started restoring about 5 years ago and stopped when I got to the motor. The rear half has all been opened up and gone thru with bearings and steering clutches.

-------------
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:15am
Chevytahoe, This my be a dumb newbie question but where is your hydraulic reservoir tank? Mine is a big ugly tank on the right side fender. 

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 11:17am
Only hyd reservoir is the sump in the machine. 

Posted By: q4016lanz
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:01pm
Hy this is our 2 HD5s The top one is a HD5B then the HD5A and a BTD6 we are working on our fordson fulltrack at the moment and when i get my Allis M runing i will post a pic of it
Cheers John & brad

-------------
15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by chevytaHOE5674 chevytaHOE5674 wrote:

That thing looks pretty handy.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

That thing looks pretty handy, and easy to store or move.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 6:20pm

Only hyd reservoir is the sump in the machine. 

Mine has a big Gaudy tank on the right fender... 

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:01pm
Hi i have 2 pommy crawlers
 THERE NOT Orange  but something different a Fordson hight track P6 and a David Brown 30t Gas  Cheers john & brad

-------------

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:13am
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

That thing looks pretty handy, and easy to store or move.

Its real handy. I would like a larger dozer but I move it around a lot and the cost of a tractor/lowboy just isn't in the cards.

I toss it on a trailer behind the pickup and go where I need to go. Just last week I hauled it a few miles up the road and plowed out somebodys hunting camp that was a few miles off the plowed county road. Works like a charm.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 9:00am
Nice pictures! That H3 looks like FUN!

Posted By: Chad(WI)
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:03am
This is my '37 M....

Slowly working the bugs out on it, but works great and is a lot of fun too. This is a pic of the new seat I had fabricated for it....

Just a pic of the reworked manifold....

Keep the pics coming.....gotta love tracklayers!

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:11am
HD4 just a little heavy for my 2 axle trailer I found. The trailer held my IH 460 Utility with loader fine, also the 785 NH skidsteer but beyond that needed my tri-axle trailer and dump truck as power unit. 
 One day when son had bought his new Dodge diesel he told me he hauled the tri-axle and the 715B from his house to here .. Said great but as you went past scale on service road and were at over 20,000 load behind truck your lucky no one from scale chased you over here 

-------------

Posted By: Don(MI)
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:52am
H-3 with winch

-------------
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Chad(WI) Chad(WI) wrote:

This is my '37 M....

Very Nice "M"!

Posted By: HD6 Merv
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 2:22pm
Hi RW. Nice looking D7. looks like a 17A. Turbo or not ?
Well seeing as you posted some cat pics here is my two.

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 3:27pm
Here is my Scoopy before we loaded him to take him home. I took the loader off and had him unstuck and runnin good before my accident, but apparently the head gasket let go and drained coolant into the oil sump. Oh yea, he's a 1960 OC 46 Oliver with 3 cylinder gas Hercules engine.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 3:49pm
The view from the office

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by HD6 Merv HD6 Merv wrote:

Hi RW. Nice looking D7. looks like a 17A. Turbo or not ?
Well seeing as you posted some cat pics here is my two.
Ya its a 1955 17A with Add-On Turbo.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:11pm

Hey Charlie, you should get that little track loader running. Looks like it would be fun!

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:22pm
Nice Office! If I fly over to Australia to visit my niece, can I come down and visit your office too?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Nice Office! If I fly over to Australia to visit my niece, can I come down and visit your office too?
Only if you bring your neice with you ! ! !

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: PBSoMd
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:40pm
Some great looking tractors on here! I love your office view Merv! Couple pictures of our HD6E we've posted before

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:51pm
Hi we lined up our crawlers today for a pic And the crawlers in the shed are a cat 22 and 2 fowlers singal cylinder 2 stroke diesel crawlers and a 5j cat  

And from botom THe blue one is a MG ransome  HG Allis  M Allis  D2 4U  David Brown 30t Gas  P6 fulltrack Fordson  Td5 International   BTD6 International  HD5A Allis   HD5B Allis  1976  Chev Luv at the top

-------------

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:46am
Thats quite a line up John!

Posted By: Terry G
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:21pm
1942 hd3 with 2cyl. detroit.  1 of 28 made and possibly the only one existing. In running condition.

-------------
1942 hd3 crawler

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Terry G Terry G wrote:

1942 hd3 with 2cyl. detroit.  1 of 28 made and possibly the only one existing. In running condition.
Hi mate i would like that one in my shed love GM powered machines Thanks for posting

-------------

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:13pm

This is awesome! I was just reading about this model earlier today and actually thought "i wonder if any of those have made it?"

Posted By: Terry G
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:13pm
a few more Hilltop where were you reading about it as information on these is very limited. Has a 5 speed transmission, foot clutch, and PTO.

-------------
1942 hd3 crawler

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:45pm

a few more Hilltop where were you reading about it as information on these is very limited. Has a 5 speed transmission, foot clutch, and PTO.

I was just going back through trying to figure out where it was. I've been pretty sick so i've been on the computer all day looking around so "back tracking" isn't working so well. I do remember clicked on an image that was of like a picture that would be on an old service manual. It wasn't a photograph of one but more like a drawing if that makes sense. I was looking for parts for my HD-3 and AC500 when i came across it and it caught my eye because it said there were only around 30 made that year. If i come back across it i will make sure to save and send it to you.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:47pm
I have an original parts manual for an early HD-3 like Terrys'....Might scan a pic later.

Other than the holes that someone punched in it, it's in great shape. Nice looking machines BTW, guys.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by q4016lanz q4016lanz wrote:

Hi i have 2 pommy crawlers
 THERE NOT Orange  but something different a Fordson hight track P6 and a David Brown 30t Gas  Cheers john & brad

Love that old open rocker injector pump. Does it have some kind of sliding or rotating sleeve in that upper housing of governing, and what actuated it?

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 12:09pm
Here are (2) Hd-6's and HD-5 loader and an HD-3 from Orange Spectacular 2011. 

Posted By: orangeman
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 12:51pm
Ages Cat: Awesome shot of some good ole Allis Industrial and Construction Machinery Equipment.  Appreciate all the nice pictures that have been posted.  Orangeman

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:02pm
They all look great! Got any more pictures?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:39pm

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:53pm
Here is a shot of us elevating dirt @ the Le Sueur Pioneer Power show. We are running an HD6E, an HD7 and an S on th elevating grader or mucker.

Posted By: OldWhiteTruck
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 8:46pm
This is not mine, just one I saw in Eastern Oregon near Jordan Valley.

I believe it is an HD5.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by OldWhiteTruck OldWhiteTruck wrote:

This is not mine, just one I saw in Eastern Oregon near Jordan Valley.

I believe it is an HD5.

Looks like it needs a home!

Posted By: Jay Tyrrell
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:20pm
Very Nice lonnie

Posted By: acwdwcman
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:47pm

not mine but my cousins. im driving. caterpillar 22 and road grader. grader matches what would have been used by that tractor.

-------------
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 1:01am
Here is a scanned pic of two cats DIESEL FIFTY and a FORTY DIESEL. The Fifty was a snow cat special and the Forty Had the R.G. LeTorneau dozar blade on it all its life.  

Here Is an L that only job in its life was snow plowing. Second owner to the plow off.

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:19am

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:20am

Posted By: M Diesel
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 12:49pm
My 1949 IH TD18, taken last fall while doing some brush work.

Posted By: dadsdozerhd5b
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:48pm

are we having fun yet? my hd5b blew a sneaker

-------------
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.

Posted By: dadsdozerhd5b
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:56pm
my hd5b in better moments, resting after a hard day in the mountains.

-------------
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Here Is an L that only job in its life was snow plowing. Second owner to the plow off.
Original paint? Looks Sweet!

Posted By: M Diesel
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:11pm
Are we having fun yet?

Nothing like having fun on a cold winter day eh!

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by acwdwcman acwdwcman wrote:

not mine but my cousins. im driving. caterpillar 22 and road grader. grader matches what would have been used by that tractor.

@ operators would sure have to know how each other thought and operated to make this deal go huh. Very cool

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Here is a scanned pic of two cats DIESEL FIFTY and a FORTY DIESEL. The Fifty was a snow cat special and the Forty Had the R.G. LeTorneau dozar blade on it all its life.  

Would love to have this crawler! It looks in better shape than a lot of the late model machines around.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 2:02pm
This is a scan of a original pic of an "L". Not sure what's going on, but interesting anyway....

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 2:09pm
RW that is origional paint. And She runs sweet.
Hilltop, Theres a few others that wish they owned this old Girl.
 The old photo above is about promoting the Model L crawler and the venture in sales with hydraulic Continental  Scraper.  This L is equiped with Hydraulics and you can see the tonque of the scrapper in pic.
 The fellows are either from sales or mangement and promoting their wares is my guess.
Think theres some tracks that need tightening, or new rails and pins and or sprockets... Usually worse when adjusting nut hasn't been turned in forty years and the rails worn out and sprockets look like the ribs on a nickle. LOL

Posted By: Jay Tyrrell
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:33am
Finally figured out how to post a picture!
Good with wrenches, not so good on computer. Found this HD6G up in Northen Minnesota in a gravell pit.
Seller wanted $1,500, Offered $800, got it for $1,000.
Missing the radiator, steereing cluthces stuck and main clutch needed adjustment. Got her together yesterday and drove around for awhile. Everything works good. Tracks sure are stiff, hope they loosen up.Smile

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 12:56pm
1955 HD5G that i bought in 1972 My first machine other than my IH 300 Utility and IH 460 Utility . 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 7:46pm

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 7:49pm
I apologize for the size of the HD-3 photo. i should have  trimmed  it a bit. Teh rig on the drawbar is a Henry One yard scraper, 1950's vintage. 

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:34pm
Here is my latest, a CAT 10. I keep it in the house though. It doesn't play well with the REAL toys.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lyhbIz9k_0k/UCBdxuQCutI/AAAAAAAAFUc/ZXvAyKtMIwI/s603/Caterpillar+003.jpg

-------------

Posted By: baker84
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 5:05pm
I'll play hd5g

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:23pm
Not mine, but a really sweet running BEST 60 at a show this summer.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:54pm
My FD5 - 72 HP power shift, 7 1/2 ft blade . 6 way power to blade 

-------------

Posted By: ianoz
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 6:02am
Thats a nice tractor Coke .

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 6:10am
Our Fiat Allis FL5 Sold it recently upgrading to a cat 939 .

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 6:12am
Another photo .

Posted By: dav68camaro
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:04pm
Here is my 1966 HD6G when I lost the track a couple weeks ago.  You can see how bad the rails but they will be replaced next year.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:06pm

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:08pm

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:12pm
My dad with a clump of Hickory tree's I pushed out.  In all the pictures the cleared area was all heavy timber when I started.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:22pm
Showing the building site after most of the clearing was done.  As you see some of the trees were breaking off as we had a major drought in the midwest this summer and the clay soil was rock hard up until recently when it started raining. 

Posted By: Dutchboy Johan
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 12:17pm
Wow that Allis S and L are awesome to see. Never seen or heard one in real. Do you have some movies of it?

-------------
---> Better by Design <---

Johan Straver, Almkerk/ Netherlands

Allis-Chalmers 190XT Ser.III #26829XTD

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:00pm
that 6g brings back some memories.

Posted By: CALEBnOK
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by R.W R.W wrote:

Not mine, but a really sweet running BEST 60 at a show this summer.

Man gets me fired up about my Best 60. Need to get it back together just need more CASH!

My Cat 30 I sold to a friend 2 years ago- one of it how i found it in the wild and the other running after being brought out of the shed

Posted By: DonBC
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:36pm
In the 1940's when I was a kid in southern Saskatchewan our municipality (county) had two Cat Sixties. One was used to pull an elevating grader for building rural roads and the second one had a two drum winch fitted to it for pulling a cable controlled scraper that they used for putting in driveway approaches and for digging farm dugouts (ponds). They did replace the one on the elevating grader with a D8 dozer but kept using the other one on the scraper for a few more years until it eventually died on the job. It was a little sad watching it being towed back to the maintenance yard by a local farmer's tractor. I have always been fascinated by machinery and when I was about 11 they built a new road past our farm. I sent hours watching them work and when it came time to build our approach and driveway the operator of the old Sixty on the scraper let me ride on the round fuel tank while he built our driveway. What a thrill. They one thing that puzzles me when I see these pictures is that I in my memory the fuel tank was on the right hand side. 

-------------
Jack of all trades, master of none

Posted By: CALEBnOK
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 2:08pm
That tractor had a construction setup and not farming. all you have to due is move the steering clutch controls and fuel tank brackets to make it such. My best is set up so you can see the furrow while working and the controls are moved to the right of center. a construction sixty the controls are centered and the fuel tank is on the right.
Caleb

Posted By: DonBC
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 6:54pm
Thanks for the explanation Caleb. So I am not losing my mind after all. LOL

-------------
Jack of all trades, master of none

Posted By: Steve allis dozer
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:56am

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:57am

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:52pm