Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28624
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Deere Letter About AC In 1985
Posted By: AllisChalmers37
Subject: John Deere Letter About AC In 1985
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:48pm
Back long ago before I was a member I would look at this site from time to time, and I think it was around New Years 2010, when the forum was all tore up about possible rumors of AGCO dropping orange. Anyway I randomly remembered that sometime during these arguments someone said something about a letter being sent out by John Deere in late 1985 or early 1986 basically saying thank God that Allis-Chalmers went down. I was wondering if someone ever found out if this was the truth or if there was anyway someone could find out what it said and post it on here. I know it is a random thought but it is killing me, especially with the new toy we bought today that I'm not too proud of. LOL!

Thanks, AC37

-------------
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500

Replies:
Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 10:12pm
ohhhhhh....what ya git 37? am i goona be upset with ya?

Posted By: R.W
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 10:17pm
Ya bud what did ya get?

-------------
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D

Posted By: AC WD45
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:15pm
Basically the story was that John Deerenever really said anything when IH, Massey, and Oliver  sold out, but when they learned that AC had announced the sale of the tractor division to Deutz-Fhar A letter was sent out to inform the dealers. Among the things said in this letter was something allong the lines of "Thank God They're Finally Gone". This is what I remember reading. I have also heard this mentioned at the 2009 Davern Equipment tractor show that was done to honor my home town. Davern's equipment and hardware was a hardware store that sold AC and NH untill they closed.

-------------
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193

Posted By: AllisChalmers37
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 6:21am
cough..hack..ugh..well..um.. I am going to get it tomorrow, lets just say my hunt for a cab tractor is over and it is not orange. I'll show you tomorrow when I get it. Please forgive me. LOL

-------------
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500

Posted By: Austin(WI)
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:34am
I emailed Deere in regards to this letter and they said no letter existed in their records.

-------------
"Better By Design"

Posted By: Breeze
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:42am
If you have it dont be embarrassed by it.  Use hell out of it, work it like its made to do. Tell us if it holds up, or not.  LOL

Posted By: Dave in il
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 9:27am
The only thing along those lines I remember was Deere had looked at aquiring AC tractor division briefly, primarily for the powershift transmission in the 8000 series tractors, but they never could work a deal from AC and the anti trust complications wouldn't have been worth it.

Posted By: 427435
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 9:44am
Deere is way too smooth and market savvy to have ever written something like that. 

-------------
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.

Posted By: Kcgrain
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 1:33pm
Well the "letter" to which you are refering was written, I did not personally read the letter because I was told about it years after Allis Chalmers had finally closed, and I was told by a large Deere Dealer in southern Wisconsin who we do business with about it. We were looking at buying an 8050 they had for sale on their lot that was traded in by the sales managers brother. How it came up was me kidding him about selling JD equipment when his brother was an AC man, so while we were talking about how he became a sales man than manager for this Deere dealer and the great service his father, uncles and brothers had had with Allis equipment and combines the letter came up in discussion and in effect the letter was "Thank God they are finally gone" now I am sure it didnt say that word for word he was telling me the context and his thoughts about it that they had recieved no prior letters to other closing and consolidations in that industry. So he felt it gave a good indication of Deeres dislike for Allis Chalmers. I also was good friends with the Deere dealer in Denmark , WI now closed and he confirmed the letter and Deeres dislike of Allis Chalmers, his comments were that Deere had always worried that Allis would pull its head of its ass in terms of marketing and would be an even bigger thorn in there side. I am the one that posted the original comment, it is indeed true as far as I can tell, was confirmed by 2 different dealers, but again I did not personally read it. Just for the record John Deere would never disclose such a letter to the public now, or ever confirm or deny its content, in that regards Deere is way to savy. The best anyone could do now would be to find a copy that for some reason a dealer kept since 1985, which is doubtful of bribe the care taker of Deere's archives to search and leak it to us, which is also doubtful.

Posted By: GBACBFan
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 1:44pm
If it exists, a copy will show up somewhere.

-------------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain

Posted By: Nathan (SD)
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:43pm

I think there is a better chance of the FWA D21 showing up first. Letter might have been from a branch house or region hq. I doubt JD corporate ever put anything out.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net