Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=200284
Printed Date: 08 May 2024 at 7:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Grandfathers CA
Posted By: CA13414
Subject: Grandfathers CA
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 5:24pm
My Grandfather purchased a 1953 CA with many stories, but one that is quite central to our family history.  

Thus, I have always love idea of rebuilding this tractor.  Not so sure it is possible since it has been sitting in the trees for almost 40 yrs.  However, with an extra CA for parts, two shall become one with the help of my bother, and a great longtime friend. 

< id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true">

Replies:
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 5:34pm
The family story: After my Dad was drafted to the Korea war, and after finishing basic training, he was helping my Grandfather on the farm when he injured his little finger in the belt of this CA that was running a belt pump used to irrigate.

Instead of heading out to sea, he was stationed in San Francisco until the finger healed. It was during those months as a MP for the Navy keeping everyone out of trouble in San Fran he met my Mom! If it wasn't because of the injury from the belt pump, he may have never met my Mom. 

-------------
Helping the aged survive and thrive! 1953 CA

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:01pm
Ya never know till you get it apart.. If the PAN is full of water, you can have rusted crank and bearings... If it had water and no antifreeze, the block can freeze and split.. Those are the WORST case senarios... If it has antifreeze, or empty... and the muffler / pipe was covered, you can have a usable unit.......... It is supprising what condition they can be in and brought back to life.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:45pm
Here is a >10 year old pic of my Dad sitting on the tire of this CA on the farm.  He was telling my sister the story briefly detailed above in a much longer version!

Posted By: im4racin
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:54pm
Looks about like mine was when I got it.  Now the most dependable tractor on the place!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:54pm
Steve.  Thank you.  Unfortunately, someone came out to the farm and stole the head. Thus the block is frozen and the the oil pan rusted out, thus, the block is not likely useable.

Here are a few pic's of the other CA we bought.  Was a 750 mile road trip with my friend... was a great day.  Has not run for a number of years. While it was outside, it had been covered and turned over (vs. my Dad's). 

Between the two tractors, and a few other parts we will put it together.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:19pm
It did take a few hours to get the other one running.  Was a combination of fresh gas, ignition and retiming. The magneto was off by 180 degrees when at TDC w/ compression.  Not sure why, but suspect it was removed and replaced at TDC exhaust vs. compression.  

Once running and timed, there was good oil pressure and no leaks.  Coolant was in good condition as well. Actually ran well after the carb was adjusted. Definitely needs a carb rebuild and we will check compression.  If needed, excited to rebuild the engine. 

Back on the Farm:  GP/Dad's CA transmission was frozen. Could not take it out of gear, the clutch was frozen, the PTO was frozen and could not engage or disengage.  When we pulled it from the trees, the wheels were also frozen.  Not sure there is much to salvage without an entire rebuild of the transmission which would be a much larger project.  While I would love to carry over the serial number, not likely or practical to do such. Maybe someday when we have a bunch of time.

Thus, for now we took the tin, radiator leuvers, seat, platform, fenders, throttle and choke control rods.  Everything we could strip down to engine and transmission.  My GP/Dad's front end was in great shape and much better than the other.

This past weekend my bother and friend took the loose parts and sandblasted them.  Also took out all dents and primed the pieces. Awesome job Bro!!! Will store these until we have replaced all the hoses, rebuild what we need, cleaned and sandblast the remaining and assembled.  

More to come.  Here are all our parts from GP/Dad's CA!

The skeletal remains of GP/Dad's CA.

Here is the primed Grill...... part of "Team CA Restoration" efforts!!  Awesome job!

Posted By: dfwallis
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:29pm
Looks similar to my 1952 (~35 years in the brush) except the engine was fairly well protected.  Engine was stuck but we've got it rebuilt and nearly ready to fire up (rebuilt generator, starter, new wiring harness, fuel tank being straightened, carb rebuilt ready to install).  I should have the front half pretty much fully renovated this May (mostly tin work remains besides finished parts install).  I've got the steering wheel mostly epoxied, just some sanding and tweaking low spots.   Need to reline the hand clutch before I work the rear half.  New tires (new rear rims) all around last May.  Front rims were pretty rough but a lot of sand blasting/grinding/sanding cleaned them up pretty good.  The tire guy was very happy with them.  Was bought new by my grandpa's brother who decided he wanted to go into politics instead of farming and it transitioned to grandpa then to my uncle and my dad.

-------------
CA13092

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:49pm
Outstanding Job on your rebuild of the engine and front.  

The front end looks simple, but suspect there will be surprises.  I was looking for front end spindle bushings but cann't find any.  Just in case old ones are shot.  Hope I will be able to get them freed up.  Tie-rods appear good but we will see.

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 6:39am
I'm really happy for you to be bringing a piece of your family history back from the dead.  It's the relationship with a 'family' tractor that makes it even better to be rebuilding, albeit with some 'farmed in' pieces.
You CAN save the serial #, but it'll entail a lot of work, but in the end you'll be VERY happy with the outcome and have the family heirloom back in working order.
You should have NO problem with finding parts as there were a number of these made, although they are getting scarcer all the time.
It is a GREAT little tractor with a lot more guts that it looks capable of.
Thanks fro saving another Allis!!  Keep the pics coming and the progress as you go along!  If you need anything, just ask and you can follow another CA rebuild by looking at a thread that is being done by 'Sugarmaker'.
Good luck and ENJOY!!  The accomplishment is worth all the grief, swearing and busted knuckles!!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 9:22am
Ted thank you!

Agree it is exciting to bring back that piece of history. Love the comment about having "farmed in" pieces.  

At least we will keep the skeleton of the my GP/Dad's CA in the trees.  Will keep it in mind and when I have some time and set aside some $.  

The last tractor transmission I rebuilt was years ago and was a old Hough payloader model ? that my Dad bought used in the late 50's.  I convinced my mechanic's teacher in high school (early 80's) to let me rebuild the "M" engine and parts of the transmission and back end.  Took most of my senior year but was successful.  It worked well, but was a beast to drive without power-stearing.  Used this on the farm for over a decade, until Dad had carb troubles and he replaced it with a used tractor loader.  

Thus, ~40 years later it also sits parked. :'(   It still turns over, but has not ran for ~25-30 years.  I will load up a picture of this unique loader later.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 12:11pm
Found a picture from someone else on the web who has restored the exact Hough loader I rebuilt in High School.  Ends up this is a rare Hough combination with a Farmall M.  Ours is missing the tin, but otherwise looks the same with bad tires and weathered paint. 

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 12:14pm
Ted, I did find "Sugarmaker's" thread which was fun to read.  Thanks for the reference. 

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 1:00pm
My sister took off the radiator leuver.  Awesome job!

We will pick it up tomorrow!!!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 1:46pm
OK, so up to this thread, the prior posts covered the past month.  Now the posts slow down and I plan to keep up in "real" time!

Yesterdays Tractor Co. and DJ's Tractor Parts will likely know me by name when this is all done!!!

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 7:32pm
Sounds like a family affair goin' on there!!  Keep us posted! We love pics to!  When the time comes and you need wiring for that puppy, keep us in mind. Good Luck!
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 8:07pm
Here is the unique Hough Farmall M that I rebuilt in HS.  Not as nice as the prior post but the same model without the tin.  Does need a little TLC from someone.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 8:58pm
Questions for the group.  Planning to use this not only for mowing, but also to grade/move sand.  Any suggestions on tire size or type.  

Thinking about a 12" X 24" turf tire ( https://www.prioritytire.com/firestone-all-non-skid-tractor-8-3-24-88a7-4-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire?gad_source=1" rel="nofollow - https://www.prioritytire.com/firestone-all-non-skid-tractor-8-3-24-88a7-4-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire?gad_source=1 ) for the rear tire but 12 vs shown 8. Or stick with the traditional 12X24?

As well, 7.6" front implement tire for the front ( https://www.prioritytire.com/ceat-farm-implement-i-1-7-6-15-109b-10-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire" rel="nofollow - https://www.prioritytire.com/ceat-farm-implement-i-1-7-6-15-109b-10-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire ). Have 5 bolt 15x6, 5 lug on 4.5 with a 2.75 center hole rims for these.  Might need a 7" wide rim or narrower front tire?

Any insights or thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 4:11am
I'd leave the front tires/rims stock.  It has no PS, and the wider fronts are harder to steer with, and tend to skid more than turn...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 7:31pm
Thanks you, appreciate the notion of sliding tires if too wide and being hard to stear.  I do not want to tear up the grass, thus, maybe stick with a narrow flat profile tire vs. ribbed?

Thoughts on the rear tires?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 9:23pm
Changed the oil and filter today.  Also took off the valve cover and was pleased to see this was very clean.  Very easy to start and runs awesome.

After warming up the engine, the oil pressure at an idle was awesome!  From others in the forum, would suspect this is 15 PSI.  

We also checked the compression pressures in each cylinders.  
Cylinder #1:  130 PSI
Cylinder #2:  135 PSI
Cylinder #3:  135 PSI
Cylinder #4:  130 PSI

These were awesome and better than expected. Great news! 

I do not think we should do anything else with the engine but clean it up and work on the rest of the tractor.

I have no history on this unit, but I have to think this has been rebuilt with all the above.  As well, I know the last owner did have the Mag rebuilt and put on a new water pump.  

So overall excited about the condition of the engine.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 9:42pm
Power washed the whole unit.  Took about 4 hours total with a ton of degreaser.  

After power washing.  Much better.  Still needs a bit of "elbow grease" in a few spots.  

Need to clean up the brake pad and drums within the axil.  They both are are full of years of dirt, corn shucks and other.  Weep holes are also plugged up!!  Drums look Ok, and it looks the the pads have been replaced at some time.  Will still replace them now since it is stripped down.

Also noted that all that the prior owner put wax plugs into each threaded hole in the chassis to prevent rusting.  Someone who took care and thought ahead.

Before we tear it down to clean, repair and rebuild, and replace gaskets that are leaking, we did want to change out the muffler. OK, just wanted to put it on to see how it looked and sounded.

HOWEVER, as you might expect, I broke off the bolt in the exhaust manifold despite some heat.  This was the bolt that passes completely into the manifold.  The other one came out with a little heat from the torch.

Thus, our 5 min project became 90 min.  We drilled out the bolt and retapped the manifold (used magnets to catch the shavings). Here it is with the new muffler which really changed the sound of the tractor.  Sounds and looks awesome.  

Has anyone ever used stainless steel bolts in the manifold to prevent future breakage? 

Here is a link to the pre-wash and pre-"new muffler" run:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60iFqXCQgzE" rel="nofollow -
Here a link after we power washed and with the new muffler.  Love the sound of the new muffler! Drove it outside and let it warm up!  Is quite responsive and smooth, even with the governor, in increasing or decreasing throttle speed.  :')
https://youtube.com/shorts/VYrAoq9-ByM" rel="nofollow -

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:44pm
Pulled the carb and stripped it down.  After a soak in the cleaner, it is now ready to reassemble.  

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:13am
Reassembled and will put it back on tomorrow.  I am always amazed how many little parts there are and yet quite simple overall!

-------------

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:07am
stainless bolts are usually not hard bolts. I would use grade 5 with antisieze. Grade 8 ok too.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:19pm
Thanks Steve!  Will do exactly that!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

stainless bolts are usually not hard bolts. I would use grade 5 with antisieze. Grade 8 ok too.

316 stainless has a tensile strength of 180000 psi which is higher than grade 8 of 150000 psi.  Just don't use 314 or 18-8.  

-------------
CA13092

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:27pm
Thank you!!

I do love marine grade (316) since it is the only one who will not rust in harsh conditions.  I use it all the time for that reason.  Did not know it had that tensile strength. 

If this is used, I would expect you would not "rust" to the manifold, and still have the strength to remove from the manifold years from now.  If you did break it, it would be a pain to remove/drill out!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:40pm
Still needed to change out the float valve needle and seat, however, after decades of fuel it took a screw extractor to remove the brass seat. Also had to tap out the threads to put n the new valve seat!! Re-attached the carb and it ran beautifully.  

Also was able to remove one of the front spindles arms and remove the spindle on my GP/Dads front end that was frozen up. Sprayed down the other one with Panther Piss.  Yes that is what my Dad called it back in the 60's and it as stuck!! Will have to do the other one on another day.  I already ordered new spindle bushings.  Then need new front bearings and we will replace whole front end.  I will add pics of this effort later. 

Replacing the front end with my GP/Dads CA........ Mostly to have parts from the family tractor and since the current front end is quite damaged with much artful welding of everything including angle-iron reinforcements.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 7:29pm
Took it out for a spin.  Mostly to see if the clutch held tight.  Was able to stall the engine with a quick release.   http://youtube.com/shorts/RIyl1zqUqos" rel="nofollow - http://youtube.com/shorts/RIyl1zqUqos

As well, in 4th gear and going up the hill, definitely did not slip as it overloaded the engine.  Great news.  http://youtube.com/shorts/8Xhocc4aG18" rel="nofollow - http://youtube.com/shorts/8Xhocc4aG18

Thus, do not plan to break away the engine and put in a new clutch plate and disk.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 7:38pm
Well at the end of the day it was a blast to hang and work on the tractor!!  Here is a video of me driving up the hill in 4th gear..... Yes I definitely date myself with the tag line of a long ago sit-com.  :')  

Make sure you turn up the volume.

http://youtube.com/shorts/n8sLnPg5cZU" rel="nofollow - http://youtube.com/shorts/n8sLnPg5cZU

-------------

Posted By: Alberta Phil
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 8:13pm
That 'ol girl sound pretty healthy!!

Posted By: wjohn
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 11:14pm
Agreed! It sounds like it's running well.

-------------
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 8:08pm
Pulled the gas tank and will sand blast that with a bunch of other small parts. 

Also took off the brakes.  The pads were quite worn and broken up. "Drums" do look good, not 100% but reasonable for now.  

Do appreciate the prior owners who drilled out the middle side of the pins.  Was easy to remove after a couple of days of panther piss.  However, there was a ton of dirt, oil and etc which made it a challenge to remove the pads due to the space being full of organic material.  We prevailed.  

Next is to remove all other sand blast-able parts including the tire rims.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 5:11pm
Stripped down a bit more..... almost as far as we go in that regard. 

One of the major oil leaks is the hydraulic system.  It is coming from the upper side.  Not sure exactly what it will be but suspect an "O" ring is bad.

Here are a few of the last parts for sand blasting.  

Was a bit of a pain, but removed the spindles out of the front end.  Next to remove the old spindle bushings and press the new ones in after cleaning them up.

Overall a very productive day.  I think we have found all but one oil leak.  This is on the left side and leaking between the differential and final drive housing.  I suspect it is the inner oil seal for the upper drive shaft which was leaking into the left housing. Here is the brake pad that was buried in dirt and leaves in the housing and soaked with oil.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:45am
The last parts to remove for sand blasting are the steering shaft and tool box.  Then we will clean the rest with wire brushes and cleaner.

At this point the only other thing we have noticed is a small antifreeze leak from the upper seam of the radiator.  Hope it is a quick fix with the MAP torch and solder.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:10pm
Removed the battery box, tool box and steering column/shaft. 

Need to figure out how to tighten up the steering boxes to take out the extra play.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:50pm
Steering play adjustment: That would be interesting.  Mine seemed to be all related to gear teeth meshing.  

-------------
CA13092

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 5:43am
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Steering play adjustment: That would be interesting.  Mine seemed to be all related to gear teeth meshing.  

Indeed, after reading, this is not adjustable.  Will make sure there is oil/grease and clean it up. 

Will see what it looks like after we get the front put together. Overall it is not terrible, thus, maybe will just hold on anything else for the moment.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 5:41pm
A few more pictures.  

Radiator is off, now need to pressurize and find any leaking spots.  Hope to fix vs. buy a new one for ~$200. :'|  

Wiring, generator and starter are now off.  We set aside the wiring as a template when reassembling.  I have new wire and connectors with heat resistant black wrap. 

Was able to remove the front spindle bushings and clean up the spindles.  Do need to use a bit of emory cloth to finalize before assembly.

Did find out the mid steering box is adjustable. An 8th of a turn took out almost all of the slack.  Need to check/add oil grease.

This week we will pick up a new rear tire.  One is in good shape the other has many cracks.  Realized our center pivot tires on the farm are 11.2"X24" and plan to use one of those tires.  I did find many on FaceBook for $50 or more which would also work. Ironically, when I was looking at the other rear tires to see if I should replace it I realized it was also an old pivot irrigation tire!

Next steps: Continue clean up!!  Press in the new spindle bushings, reassemble the spindles, rebuild/repack the the front wheel hub bearings and with new seals reassemble.  Then swap out the front end.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 12:41am
You're doing great and the pics help immensely.  Keep at it!!  They are a real pleasure to work on and an even better one to drive!

-------------
"Allis-Express"

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 10:33pm
A bit slower progress this week.  

Spent the day cleaning.  With a putty knife, screwdriver and wire brush, took all the "chunks" off the engine, torque tube and part of the transmission and differential.  Cleaned up the air filter and should be ready for a bit of sanding and then paint (planning black).  You just gotta love "Brake and Parts Cleaner" for removing the oil and grease as well!  Pretty much strips off everything which was awesome.   Here is air filter, ready for sanding and then paint.

The engine and torque tube!

Torque tube and steering box!

Transmission, differential and PTO/hydraulics!!

A bit backwards, but before all the above, we spent a few hours cleaning.  The results of the day were achieved by the right tools and as previously note...... brake and parts cleaner.  

Notably the best kick ass tool of the day was..... a cordless Milwaukee Hand grinder.  This was awesome to clean up the rest. The Milwaukee drill with a SS wire bur was also a huge thumbs up!!!

Replaced the gasket on the oil filter mount... which was leaking. 

Also took off the radiator support to check out the front steering bearing cone and capscrew. There was oil present and no notable issues.  Decided to leave it as is and not dig deeper.  Thus, filled it with Lucas Hub Oil and made a new gasket with the ball ping hammer.  Will watch and make sure there is no oil leak (if so replace the oil seal).

Also filled the steering box with Lucas Hub Oil and will check for leaks.

Still need to  dig into the hydraulic system and find the suspected bad "O"-ring.  Then the inner final drive seal need to be replaced!!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 11:45pm
Spent the rest of the day replacing electronic hardware at the house after a lightning strike Ouch.  It took out our internet router, network switch, all the TV's, my Hubitat Hub, security cameras, smart switches and a few sound system amps.  Thankfully, furnace and appliances are OK.  

Thank goodness we didn't have a fire or anything more serious!!! 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 11:54pm
Paint!!

Thoughts on the following..... Planning Persian Orange #1 and black.

Black paint:  Air filter, front wheel hubs and lug bolts (rims are orange), rear wheel power rims (inner to be orange), steering shaft, gear shifter, hand clutch lever, alternator and starter.

Orange: Everything else.

Thoughts???

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 12:29am
Also, any insight on this engine block number?  Found it when cleaning. Mostly currious!!

-------------

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 6:17am
Originally posted by CA13414 CA13414 wrote:

Paint!!

Thoughts on the following..... Planning Persian Orange #1 and black.

Black paint:  Air filter, front wheel hubs and lug bolts (rims are orange), rear wheel power rims (inner to be orange), steering shaft, gear shifter, hand clutch lever, alternator and starter.

Orange: Everything else.

Thoughts???

It's your tractor and you should paint it whatever you want, but there was nothing painted black when it left the factory.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 6:18am
Keep up the good work, will be a nice one when you're done.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 7:52pm
Ready to remove the front end and clean up everything under the front steering. 

We pulled a couple of cold rolled angle iron from the iron pile to support the front end while we rebuild and change out the front axil.  Didn't take much with the drill press and pilot hole and a 11/16" bit.  Bought some 5/8" schedule 8 bolts and put it all together.  A piece of C-channel at the base wire welded, to fix the base, just because!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:10pm
It has been a sad week.  A tribute to "Jax"!  Was an awesome English Cream Golden Retriever.  

He was 82 years old in human years!!!!  An amazing family member.  Yes, he is chasing rabbits in the field!!

Yep even like the cat and the cat liked him!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 8:10am
Golden retrievers are just great animals, sorry for your loss.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 7:16pm
Thank you!  He was such a great dude.  We miss his "ever-presence" or as we always say that he was .......  "under-foot!"

-------------

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:59pm
Sorry about the pup...

You do a good writeup on the overhaul.. Pictures are GREAT... Would make a good BOOK !Wink

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 10:22pm
Thank you!

It has been fun to "document" the journey.  Family and friends are following along.  It has been about..... bringing back something that reminds us of our Dad and Grandfather and the family farm which was homesteaded by my Great Grandfather almost 150 years ago.  

While I will not use the CA as my livelihood like my Dad and Grandfather, I love that it is still used and part of the family. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 11:03pm
As most of you would guess....... with a farm that has near a 150 year history, we now need to decide what to do with the numerous vehicles and many, many other old long abandoned tractors and implements that have been used over the past 150 years.  We have everything from the horse drawn plow which is now the mail box, to modern equipment.  It is a constant clean up and my Sis has been awesome!!

Still have my 68 Pontiac LeMans I drove in High School (it is not salvageable due to rust).  We rebuilt the engine, added a low ratio Muncie transmission and changed to a 4.88 rear end. Was a rocket off the line with 12' slicks!!!  Was pretty sly and never really got in trouble..... or caught.!!!!   My driving:  After the green light, the clutch is not needed!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 9:01am
Sorry for your loss of your best friend.  I still look down so I'm not stepping on ours.

On the oil filter mount, take a straight edge and check the mount.  A lot of times they are 'warped' because of over tightening the two bolts, causing them to curve.  A little flat file on em works good.

A family heirloom is a wonderful thing!!  Think about how the farm went from horses to where it is now.  Things have gotten a lot easier!

-------------
"Allis-Express"

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:44pm
Thanks Ted, I will check the filter mount with a straight edge.  It didn't look bent, but I was probably looking through my bifocals thus, who knows. :')

It is really impressive how it changed within 3 generations starting with the horse and manual labor...  Today it is still hard work but as you mentioned easier to get things done on a larger scale.

Amazing to think that the CA was ~$1,900 in 1958.  

In contrast:
  • A 2023 JD-1025R, 25 HP runs ~16K with a couple 100 hours
  • A 2023 JD 9RX-590, 590HP for ~700K also with a couple 100 hours

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 4:09pm
Of interest I used an inflation calculator and $1,900 in 1958 is worth $20,533.94 today.

Thus not too far off for the HP purchased.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 11:42am
Next step in all of this was to find a solid 3-point 6'-blade for maintaining part of our property.  Just picked this up this morning after a purchase via MarketPlace.  Was a fun 90 mile road trip into greater Nebraska.  

Was a pleasure visiting with the gentlemen selling the blade.  Cheers to their spectacular and beautiful country home.  Is a historical house that is amazingly maintained.  

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2024 at 9:55pm
Today was able to spend a few hours.  We took off the old, bent and welded front end, and put on my GrandPa's/Dad's front end. 

Here is the old unit (snagged the hubs and wheel bearings which look to be in condition).

Here is sand blasted and primed front end from my family CA.

Next will be to put on the spindles and hub after repacking.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2024 at 9:30am
Did you change the bushings in the knees? Perfect time to do that.

Date Posted: 03 May 2024 at 7:23pm
Agree and thank you!

I do have new bushings!  Planning to put them in this weekend and finish up the front.  Will still need to sandblast the front rims with the back rims and mount new tires. 

Getting closer!!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2024 at 6:44pm
We worked on the front axil bearing and hubs.  Cleaned them up. Wire brush, drill with a wire burr, and emory cloth.

Then pressed on the front wheel seals. Used the front wheel hub flipped over and with a rubber mallet "pressed" them....... or more appropriately hammered them on!  The bearing cones were in good condition thus, we repacked them using a bearing repacking cup, cone and grease gun.  

WOW the cup and cone was a ton easier and faster than doing it by hand!!! 

Here it is reassembled with a new cotter pin!!

The assembled hubs, ready to put into the front end.

We did have enough time to press in three of the spindle bushings.  However, we didn't really press them in (just like the front wheel seals) but used a rubber mallet and a piece of hard wood to set them in the front end spindle.  Was a bit of a pain to get the job done without damaging the bushings, but we succeeded.  

This is where I miss all the tools on the farm.  Today I wish I had the hydraulic press!!!

Finally, started painting parts that we have stripped and cleaned.  This is going to look awesome!!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2024 at 7:12am
That's progress for sure.

I use a 1" piece of all thread to pull those bushings in with, works pretty good.

Date Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:00am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

That's progress for sure.

I use a 1" piece of all thread to pull those bushings in with, works pretty good.

That is awesome!!  Will definitely do that for the last one vs. taking it off the front end.

Thank you!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:13am
You're welcome. I've changed more of those bushings than it seems like I ever should have had to! If I have a spindle out for whatever reason, new bushings go in. I kind of have a thing about sloppy steering.

Date Posted: 07 May 2024 at 8:54pm
I could not find a 1" all-thread, but did find a 5/8"!  It really worked awesome to set the spindle bushings.  

The washer did spin a bit and flared the bushing.  Nothing that a dill burr and emory cloth won't quickly fix.  Awesome job!!!  Very much appreciate the suggestion, IBWD Mike!!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net