Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=182154
Printed Date: 29 May 2024 at 12:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: model 100 disk new blades
Posted By: ac hunter
Subject: model 100 disk new blades
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:09am
     Finally got the disk finished. All new bolts too. Thanks to those who gave advice about the Bal-pak bearings. They turned fairly smoothly so I drilled holes and pumped grease in till all the old dirty grease was out then applied some silicone. Bet they last longer than I need a disk. Here are a couple "after'  pictures.Suppose I'll need to find a new project now.

Replies:
Posted By: Brian F(IL)
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:20am
Very nice!!  How wide is it?

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:45am
     The book calls it 6 1/2 ft. 

Posted By: ACinSC
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 12:13pm
Very nice ! Not sure I'd wanna use it and scuff it up ? Thanks !!

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 3:40pm
That looks beautiful. Best one I've ever seen.
Where did you drill the hole to grease the bearings?

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:01pm
     The holes I drilled are in the outer case just to the outside of the little grooves. Used a 3/32 diameter drill. The hole seems to have come out on the inside of the bearings. Don't know if that makes sense.  Put a needle  on the end of the grease gun hose. I would post a picture but can't figure out how to put a picture on this reply.

Posted By: WD in Australia
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 1:57am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

The holes I drilled are in the outer case just to the outside of the little grooves. Used a 3/32 diameter drill. The hole seems to have come out on the inside of the bearings. Don't know if that makes sense.  Put a needle  on the end of the grease gun hose. I would post a picture but can't figure out how to put a picture on this reply.

Great work. They are the nicest AC discs I have seen. Be interested to see a photo of what you did with the hole in the bearings. Do you know the type of bearings these are, roller or spherical? Did you get any metal fillings come out with the old grease after drilling?

-------------
WD(NF), WD45(WF), WD45D(WF), XT190D(WF), Model U, Gleaner C, All Crop 60, Rotobaler

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 7:35am
WD, Dave: I have never actually seen the inside of one of these bearings but as I understand there are two ball bearings stuffed  into the outer sleeve. They ae called "bal-pak" bearings and are not made any more as I understand. There is a good instruction on rebuilding them in the "knowledge base" section of this forum. I doubt there were any significant shavings left in the bearing after drilling. The "needle" I used to insert the grease is tapered on the end so as to fit a very small diameter hole. I drilled one hole in each side of the  bearing "case".  The outer seals looked fairly decent so I just siliconed the edges. Hope this helps explain what I did. The new grease is red. Russell.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 8:03am
Fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 8:36am
vary nice looking

Posted By: WD in Australia
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

WD, Dave: I have never actually seen the inside of one of these bearings but as I understand there are two ball bearings stuffed  into the outer sleeve. They ae called "bal-pak" bearings and are not made any more as I understand. There is a good instruction on rebuilding them in the "knowledge base" section of this forum. I doubt there were any significant shavings left in the bearing after drilling. The "needle" I used to insert the grease is tapered on the end so as to fit a very small diameter hole. I drilled one hole in each side of the  bearing "case".  The outer seals looked fairly decent so I just siliconed the edges. Hope this helps explain what I did. The new grease is red. Russell.

Thanks Russell, you have done a good job. Will have to look at doing this on my discs to give them some more life. I have read here before that the bal-pak bearings are not around anymore so preserving what you have is important.

-------------
WD(NF), WD45(WF), WD45D(WF), XT190D(WF), Model U, Gleaner C, All Crop 60, Rotobaler

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:23am
Thanks Hunter,
I'm the one who wrote the knowledgebase article. LOL
Thanks for the picture. I would hope that grease actually went through the gearing not around it. That should help. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net