Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=180703
Printed Date: 22 May 2024 at 2:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pond Algae
Posted By: Darrell G (MN)
Subject: Pond Algae
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 6:28am
I am looking for a way to get rid of the pond algae that has taken over my pond. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to eliminate the algae.

Replies:
Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 7:35am
carp ?? there's some kind of fish that like it......
chemicals cost $$$$$

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: truckerfarmer
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 7:49am
Copper sulfate. You should be able to get it at the feed store. It is also a feed additive.

-------------
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!

Posted By: Dale (Stonelick)
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:03am
Copper Sulfate is good for Filamentous Algae.  I buy crystals at TSC, desolve them in hot water and apply with back back sprayer.

If you have Duckweed or Water Meal, this is harder to kill.  Need a chemical something like SONAR or Diquat - expensive.  For several years I bought Tilapia fingerlings which helped control this algae.  These fish die when water temp goes below 48 degrees - you can net them out before they die and eat them.  If you glow in the dark, quit eating the fish.

If your pond is completely covered with Algae, you will kill your fish if you treat 100% of the surface area.  I think chemical instructions say to only treat 25% and wait a couple weeks between applications.

-------------
1951 CA - 1944 C - 1949 B - Kubota M6800

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:44am
Gonna follow this topic.  i use a combination of Diuron and copper sulfate and do  poor job of it.  Confused

If the floating algae gets thick before i regain control, i try to get the floating stuff dipped out when the wind compacts it against the bank.

The feed store I get  the copper sulfate from has it also in powder form which makes it much easier to dilute in water.  I apply that stuff with a small pull behind sprayer hooked to the garden tractor.  I get the Diuron either at amazon or ebay.

Posted By: allisbred
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:46am
Barley straw bales. I sell it mostly for that reason.

Posted By: nella(Pa)
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:52am
Grass and age eating carp I found to be the best way to control algae. I had 3 in about an acre pond for over 20 yrs and they are dying off now.

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:49am
I don't think the grass carp have any effect on the floating algae.

My neighbor invested in the barley straw treatment.  In that particular case he wasted his money.  Don't know?

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:02am
Aeration can protect your pond and your fish during an algae bloom and die off. Adding an aeration device will provide added oxygen to the water and help buffer the effect of an algae die off, either naturally or when the algae is treated by some other means. https://www.tetra-fish.com/pond/learning-center/get-educated/how-to-control-algae-and-green-water-in-your-pond.aspx" rel="nofollow - https://www.tetra-fish.com/pond/learning-center/get-educated/how-to-control-algae-and-green-water-in-your-pond.aspx

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 6:56pm
Does copper sulfate not kill any fish in the pond? A ranch my dad leased, the owner was big on adding copper to water troughs. As well as killing algae, our soils are low on copper so cattle  end up needing copper added to minerals. The copper in the water was good copper supplement. But there where water troughs that had fish in them and we never put copper in those.

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I don't think the grass carp have any effect on the floating algae.

My neighbor invested in the barley straw treatment.  In that particular case he wasted his money.  Don't know?

Barley straw needs to be in the pond BEFORE the water warms up un the spring.  It is also a good idea to have the bale(s) in a wire cage of some kind to be able to remove it in the fall. We never had algae on our farm pond. 

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: Dale (Stonelick)
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 7:46pm
Ray: my understanding is that copper sulfate will not kill fish.  However, if the pond is over treated, the decaying algae will rob the water of oxygen and fish kill can result.

-------------
1951 CA - 1944 C - 1949 B - Kubota M6800

Posted By: cowkicker
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:05pm
aquazine does great ,  simazine is the same thing just labeled for water instead of land and 1/2 the price.  if algae is already bad you will have issues with decaying matter using up the oxygen.  

Posted By: cowkicker
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by cowkicker cowkicker wrote:

aquazine does great ,  simazine is the same thing just labeled for water instead of land and 1/2 the price.  if algae is already bad you will have issues with decaying matter using up the oxygen.  
Sorry, aquazine is labeled for water, simazine labeled for land

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:17pm
Gotta identify the type of algae, then you can find out what will kill it.  Also read if it needs a sulfuctant mixed in to keep it floating.  The Canada geese bring in deer weed from the swamps and the only thing I've had luck with is diquat.  It's expensive but usually only need to treat it once per summer.

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:39am
sure John, blame the 'CANADA' geese.......WinkLOL
yeesh, the Canada geese I got here NEVER fly south ( they don't KNOW  that anymore...)

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

Grass and age eating carp I found to be the best way to control algae. I had 3 in about an acre pond for over 20 yrs and they are dying off now.

Copper sulfate will kill fish, I did that before I got the carp that grew up to 2 1/2 to 3 feet and controlled the weed and age problem for over 20 years. I can't under stand why anyone would want to put in chemicals when you can have fish fix the problem. 

Posted By: Darrell G (MN)
Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:49pm
I have some bullheads in this pond but I might try and find a few carp to see if they can help me.  I also am building an acieration  to get some oxygen in that water.

Thanks everyone for the input. 

Posted By: JohnColo
Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 12:33am
Wasn't Pond Algae a rock band in the '70, no wait that was Scum of the Earth...

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 12:15pm
I checked on those grass eating carp.  They are supposedly sterile so if they escape they won't go on a breeding spree.  The kicker is that they are illegal in Michigan.  I don't understand that one at all.  Closest I could find them was PA, but I wasn't sure they would survive the trip home. 

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: allisbred
Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 12:46pm
Not sure how big you pond is, I would try 2-3 bales of local barley straw unsprayed, a horse net (or any wire wrap)designed to hold the full bale, stake it down. I guess there are different types of algae and it may/may not work. All I can say is that these are repeat customers for most part and they tell me that it works and doesn’t hurt the fish. We use it at our local gun club pond about 1/4-1/2 acre and the pond seems fine to me, not all scummed up over the top. I would think that is a cheap way to go and used a lot around here in south central PA.

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:05pm
We use a pond service company. They come about once a month, spring through fall, keeps our pond in nice shape.

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I checked on those grass eating carp.  They are supposedly sterile so if they escape they won't go on a breeding spree.  The kicker is that they are illegal in Michigan.  I don't understand that one at all.  Closest I could find them was PA, but I wasn't sure they would survive the trip home. 

Yes, they are sterile  

Posted By: tomNE
Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 3:29pm
need to figure out what kind of algae and what's causing it!   I was shocked what caused mine.   

-------------
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 7:05pm
Go to Jones Fish company. Their catalog has the most valuable pond info you can find. Has treatments for just about anything. Good info on the fish also. HTH Tracy

-------------
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 26 May 2021 at 4:05am
Darrell...dunno if it'll help or not, but i can come pee in your pond! anything to help ya out!

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:37pm
go to: thepondguy.com

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:16pm
Shameless, grandson was kayak ing on the river today, he caught a big Ol catfish. Then he went to the neighbors pond and caught a 38lb grass carp. I wish he'd turned it loose back in the pond, but I guess his pal knows how to smoke it or something using cheap beer. Those fish do work. Dad had them put in his pond, about 1.5 acre surface area back then. Somebody came out and looked things over. They are what he suggested. Dad was pumping water out of the pond up to his fat cattle. He would not put chemicals in the pond. We talked to the neighbor who owned a couple of D7 cats. He suggested running a long cable across the pond and hooking a cat on each end of the cable. Then slowly dragging the pond. I don't know if that would work, the old boy that owned the D7's liked to drink Hamm's beer. He might a had some in him when he suggested this.

Posted By: Dirt Farmer
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:07pm
If you decide to go the chemical route dont do like I did many years ago and figure lets treat the outside half of the pond, you can imagine the results, raccoons and coyotes had an all you can eat surf on the turf smorgasbord.

Posted By: Johnwilson_osf
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:30pm
We always used barley straw bales, sunk to the bottom.  My father used to say that the decomposition of the barley straw released hydrogen peroxide, and that some of the old timers he learned from would spray hydrogen peroxide to the pond, with the same result.  I have never tried it.  

John

-------------
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2

Posted By: Hunt4Allis
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 5:09am
Interesting about the barley straw, how many would it take for a 1 acre pond and do you need to spread them out in that area or let's just say if it needs 3 could you put them all together? I have two amer carp the ones that are sterile in hours, put them in as 10-in fish and they're now probably 30-in fish and pretty big (I don't know how well or if at all they eat algae on the top I think it's just the weeds that grow from the bottom)

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 5:57am
curious was i...

https://watergardenadvice.com/hydrogen-peroxide-pond-algae/" rel="nofollow - https://watergardenadvice.com/hydrogen-peroxide-pond-algae/

says it is the creation of hydrogen peroxide that does the 'magic'.

disinfectant stuff for wounds is is 3%
local farm here sells 35% hydrogen peroxide(supposedly cleans out weeping beds).

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net