URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=180502
Printed Date: 11 May 2024 at 5:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ticks
Posted By: Mikez
Subject: Ticks
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:40pm
Hello everyone 
You guys have any tricks up your sleeves to help control them around the farm.

Replies:
Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:53pm
I have heard that guineas do a great job of keeping the tick population in check. They make good watch dogs too.

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:55pm
Keep the grass mowed. I also spread ortho max defences around the buildings and tree row edge. But if the grass gets tall nothing else really works. Unless your willing to put up with a flock of Guinea hens.

Posted By: allisbred
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:59pm
Couple years ago we had a few loads of high mag lime dumped near the buildings because the fields were too wet. That stuff really had an odd smell and for whatever reason, no flies or ticks were around that year. Neighbor beside my place said they were the worst he ever saw. Not sure if the lime had anything to do with it, but could have convinced me.

Posted By: Lars(wi)
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:05pm
Get some chickens

-------------
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.

Posted By: Wayne180d
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:53am
Guinea hens are great I just bought 30 for my place but except for one male and two hens the others are destined for the dinner table.  Let them free range if you can but keep them penned for about 6 weeks or so then they come back at night to roost where they are comfortable and keep a small light in the coop for them.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:41am
Thought I had a strangulated skin tag, turned out to be a deer tick! Little bastard had swelled up to the size of a BB!  I had smeared some hyderocortisone ointment on it, the night before it came off, checked it the next morning, and he was loose, or had just disconnected... point is, that hydrocortisone stuff may have soured his milk!  Anyway that's one whose life cycle ended in a pair of gerber pliers!Angry

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:27pm
If you've had a deer tic get to your doctor within 72 hour of getting bitten they'll give you two doses of dyoxelien and you wont get lymes after that it 30 days if you get it recovery is slow and painful. Took my mom 2 years before back to normal. She developed symptoms before finding out the reason

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:04pm
I'm keeping my eyes open, for the bull's eye ring, so far its just a little red around where he bit me.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:35pm
found the first deer tick crawling up my arm yesterday as I was watching TV - must have come in on dog , then onto cat , then onto me . 
 Had a brown dog tick a few weeks back and it left a itching bump for about a week . 
Every day pull around 5 or 6 tick off dog , sons GF does a tick check on their dogs every day and goes over my dog also as it hangs out in the shop with them when they are here.

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:08am
Only method I am aware of to eradicate them is controlled burns.
Deer and other animals will track them back in as they drop off engorged ticks that become egg factories but the burns cook them to ash, even the N.Am natives knew this. Cold does not kill them as they just go dormant as mosquitos or flies.
Mowing consistently helps as they cannot climb to a capture level to access animals but will not stop them.

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:42pm
     My wife picked a tick up while we were on vacationing on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia 4-5 years ago; in early May. Didn't see it till late in the afternoon and it had really buried itself and we couldn't get it out. Managed to find a Dr. and he had trouble with it too. He gave her a  prescription for an antibiotic and the area got pretty red anyway. Not something to "wait and see" about. I used to work with a fellow whose father had been treated for lyme disease for several years and was on permanent antibiotics; changed which one every few months and he still had symptoms. His wife got lyme too and the Dr. thought she had gotten it from her husband.

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:47pm
All animals like to roll around in the ashes of burned brush piles. All the old timers say this is because the ticks and fleas don't like the ashes, may even kill them.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:29pm
White Ash is essentially caustic soda.

Posted By: allischalmerguy
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:42pm
We have lots of ticks here on the Iowa farm. I think for the last 8 days when I came in after working outside I had found a tick. So far not attached.
Mike

-------------
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:07pm
This topic has been beggin for this song...Wink

https://youtu.be/3tiPndMqxLQ" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/3tiPndMqxLQ

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net