Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=169622
Printed Date: 26 May 2024 at 11:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: D14 transmission problem
Posted By: pa allis
Subject: D14 transmission problem
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:42pm
My D14 was jumping out of 3rd gear , so I tore it down and put a new third gear in it ( with the new third gear I needed to replace reverse also ,because the new gears were different in size from the original gears) After putting it back together and driving it the it worked fine,but I could hear something was rubbing .Till I got it back to the shop it would not shift out of gear. What could be the problem with the transmission? I removed the side panel with the forks on it. The two splined parts of the transmission where the forks hook into are not aligning up with each other . I can get them to line up with each other, but I can tell that the tractor is still locked in gear, even when they are in the neutral position. Thanks in advance for any advice .

Replies:
Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:29pm
Did you adjust nut on front of pinion shaft with proper shims? Sounds like a bushing seized to gear.     MACK

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:38am
sigh, sounds like it'll have to be split again ? arrgh....
Any chance there's a shim or spacer in wrong , or missing ?
I went to AGCO online to see about the  sets of gears, 'different sizes' has me concerned. Could the PO have replaced with wrong one ? unlikely..but is there a NOTICABLE difference in the sets of gears so they can't be mismatched.
Hope you can solve this fairly fast....

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: pa allis
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:58am
Thanks for the advice. The gears don’t seem to be seized together,the splines just don’t want to stay in alignment ( they’re close to matching but not close enough). The size difference is in the width, not the diameter. I am planning to split the tractor again. I don’t mind doing it. I just don’t want to put it back together and have the same problem. I may just put the old gears back in and deal with it popping out of gear. I am not a mechanic and that could be part of my problem

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
I bet that all of us D14 owners are watching this thread! Hopefully you'll get some sound advice here - sure is the best bet for that, methinks.

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 2:07pm
re: I am planning to split the tractor again. I don’t mind doing it.

really ?? , well come on up , north of the 49th ! Troy here needs 3rd gear fixed.....LOL
though I can't remember when the last time I actually needed 3rd....
I hear them gears are $$$$$ so I'm betting I've bought complete, kinda running D14s for less...

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Jack(Ky)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Back in 2006 my D14 was was so bad I couldn't even use third gear. I was telling the local AC mechanic that used have the AC dealership here about it. He told me about moving the detent grooves so it would gear in deeper. I did it and I was able to move the groove .090 of an inch. It hasn't jumped since and I still use it quite a bit. I have done several that way for people since with good results. If mine starts doing it again I can't complain. If AC had made them go in gear deeper when they made them people wouldn't have had so much trouble with them over the years. If I was rebuilding the trans in one for myself I would move that groove just to make it last longer.

-------------
'59 D14 '68 170 Diesel '81 7020 40 All Crop

Posted By: Jack(Ky)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:42pm
I've read on here that the aftermarket gears don't match good with the original gears.

-------------
'59 D14 '68 170 Diesel '81 7020 40 All Crop

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net