Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=167717
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 8:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: O/T, But Where Did WFE Go?
Posted By: FREEDGUY
Subject: O/T, But Where Did WFE Go?
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:17pm
Sorry if this is the wrong place for my question, but where did WHITE Farm Equipment end up in the early/mid '80's? Allis ended up with Duetz, but did White fall under someones wings?? I just can't recall. Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Larry in NC
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:23pm
The White Tractor Company was sold to Massey Ferguson and eventually became part of AGCO.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Larry in NC Larry in NC wrote:

The White Tractor Company was sold to Massey Ferguson and eventually became part of AGCO.

Seems to me that MF disappeared several years previous to White in "our" area. Thanks

Posted By: Boss Man
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:11pm
Several companies White and Allis included after Duetz got tired of them got bought out to form Agco. Agco became the distributor for Massey parts until they were able to actually absorb Massey.  Agco wanted Massey for their transmission design. The last few years of the Agco tractors were Massey trans with a different engine.

Posted By: victoryallis
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Larry in NC Larry in NC wrote:

Sure about that?

I doubted your reply so a little google search turned up.   Mid 80’s White got sold to Allied, Allied also owned New Idea. White-New Idea was now formed In 1993 Agco bought White-New Idea. A holding company from Texas had them at the time of the sale to Allied.   Massey got shoved up our rear later on.

-------------
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:09pm
In my opinion, MF was the worst thin to happen to (AGCO- AC).    MACK

Posted By: GARY(OH/IN)
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:53pm
I had moved on by that time but I've been told White tractors were for a while assembled in the New Idea factory in Coldwater, Ohio

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:25am
AGCO-White and AGCO-Allis tractors were both assembled in Coldwater, Ohio for a short time. Remember, at that time both brands of tractors were pretty much the same except for which engine was installed in the chassis.

Posted By: tbran
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 9:18am
Yes, they were courting us as a dealer.   We were setting in a room waiting for the presentation when Jack Cobb walks in
(a recent former AC product mgr - we were good friends- great guy who landed the tractor mktng job at White) he saw me and said oh "S--t"  , no one else knew us and there was a quite uneasy time til we both burst out laughing.  )
Poor jack - we did a walk through of the Coldwater plant ( we did not drink the sulphur water from the coolers) .. During the tour a fork lift dropped a huge deutz engine on the floor and it exploded - then the fork lift ran over it and almost overturned, the overhead paint rack was dripping paint from due to a curing fan that was not functioning thus dropping NI orange paint on tourist, the disc mower line was down waiting on parts and when we pulled back the curtain we found a poker game in progress and then on the tractor line the 'sick bay' was full and when they did the roll test on the end of the line on a large White tractor a line blew off and covered everyone in oil mist.  Jack just sat down, lowered his head and commence pounding it with his clip board.  He accused me of jinxing the day :-) ..   AGCO bought lines before we could sign the tractor contract ; we were already a NI dealer - we did sell a few of the White tractors.... AND I will state this again - I knew Jim Seaver of Agco - the money manager of the founders - he told me personally - Agco would have never grown - just held its own with a minute market share and then might not have survived - had they not acquired MF... this gave the company a Worldwide presence and dealers that they would have never had.  The ashes of the old AC company laid a foundation - that AGCO built upon - had it not been for AGCO - AC products would have had the fate of  Studebaker - a distant memory.   It all had to work together...

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:00am
I too questioned the MF purchase and Len Schriber told me MF was the biggest in the world at the time. It was a good thing.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:33am
MF had lots of management issues at the time - and financial woes - else it would not have been for sale - ACCO first had the distribution rights - then bought the whole thing.
I heard Bob Ratliff tell of his first European meeting.  He had shieks, secretaries of state, a kinship of Matama Ghandi - a relation to Gaddafi of Lybia  (MF sold 16,000 trannys to Lybia yearly w/o engines - Muammar had a contract with Perkins)  Mr. Ratliff was blown away with the spider roots of MF and where they led at the time.  They cleaned the 'bleeding roots' very quickly  - as in IMT and other illegal copies of MF tractors/parts built in E. Europe.   

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

- I knew Jim Seaver of Agco - the money manager of the founders - he told me personally - Agco would have never grown - just held its own with a minute market share and then might not have survived - had they not acquired MF... this gave the company a Worldwide presence and dealers that they would have never had.  The ashes of the old AC company laid a foundation - that AGCO built upon - had it not been for AGCO - AC products would have had the fate of  Studebaker - a distant memory.   It all had to work together...

That’s all good and great still no good reason to drop the Agco Allis line. Sell Massey abroad where someone likes them and sell Agco Allis and Agco White here. They all could of had a common grey or black frame and the respective body panels.

-------------

Posted By: EPALLIS
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:29am
Bob Ratliff. Gee I miss him....

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 3:56pm
Gentlemen,  For information one of MR SWINFORD'S Books is The Products of AGCO Tractors.  It shows the heritage of AGCO.  In the book you will see such familiar names as Rumely, Allis-Chalmers, Deutz-Alls, AGCO Allis, Oliver, Cockshutt, Minnepolis-Moline, White, Massy Harris, Massey Ferguson, AGCO Massey-Ferguson, AGCOSTAR, Fendt, Landini, and Gleaner with a write up on each.  I have to remember MR SWINFORD started with Allis Chalmers in 1957 and retired from Duetz-Allis as Product Manager.  
Quite a family tree.  
I was well out of the Farm Equipment Business when AGCO was born by consolidation of various farm equipment being merged into the AGCO tent.
I bough this book just to have obtained all the books MR SEINFORD WROTE.  I wrote to him to request his autographs on them.  I sent them to him and he graciously signed and returned them to me.  One of my prized possessions.
Hope someday these can be passed on for historical records.
I was pleased to meet MR SWINFORD at "Coming Home".  
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

Several companies White and Allis included after Duetz got tired of them got bought out to form Agco. Agco became the distributor for Massey parts until they were able to actually absorb Massey.  Agco wanted Massey for their transmission design. The last few years of the Agco tractors were Massey trans with a different engine.

I think you're confusing Massey and Fendt

The last few years of the AGCO tractor had a Fendt transmission and used the Sisu engine.  AGCO owns both these companies.  IMO the Massey transmission was a complete piece of junk.  It was used in the smaller frame Challenger, Agco, and Massey tractors, and after the Fendt purchase the smaller frame Challenger and Agco tractors could be fitted with the Fendt transmission but I believe it was long after that before the Massey was fitted with the Fendt transmission as the Massey wasn't considered their premium line. 

The larger frame AGCO Allis and AGCO White tractors were fitted with Funk transmissions till AGCO bought Fendt then shortly after that White went away and all the AGCO tractors were fitted with the Fendt transmission including the small frame but I believe the Massey transmission was still available on just the small frame Agco's and Challenger.

Then later the Agco brand was completely done away with and replaced by just the Challenger brand.  My guess was they kept the Cat dealership network and then tried to force Massey on all the old AC dealers that just sold AGCO tractors and Gleaner combines.  At least that was the claim my local dealer told me.  Luckily they were able to get the Challenger dealership because they new they had little to no chance to sell a Massey branded tractor.

I think this is pretty accurate I'm sure Tbran could give the exacts.

Posted By: Dale-OH
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
Kansas you are right that LARGE FRAME tractors changed to CVT.  Smalller used mostly MF designed transmissions.  My Grandfather was an AC dealer in the 50s/60s and sold out to farm.  My dad wanted to get back in machinery sales so they started with used equipment again in 1970 and dad and uncles signed a Deutz Allis contract in 1985, we are still a AGCO MF dealer today.  In the past 65 years my family has sold 4 Brands of tractors in 3 colors,  I can say that when AGCO decided to drop the orange tractor we were surprised and asked for the reason.  At that time we were provided the statistics and the AGCO Branded tractor was the smallest sales of the 3 North American brands.  But the sales of those trators were nearly 100% in the midwest and a small area of Canada.  In the 10 years since our dealership sales have been unbelievable, we only had 2 customers who had a serious issue with loosing the AGCO Tractor and vowed never to own a MF.  1 of those customers farms 200 acres and had just bought a NEW DT200a a couple years before the announcement, the other now owns 3 MF tractors.  

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:19am
Dale I really don't understand why people care about the color, a product is a product, but out here in these parts most farmers absolutely will not have a Massey.  Strangely the last local equipment dealer to go out of business was the Massey dealer which also sold Ford cars and trucks.  At one time there was a lot of Massey equipment but today outside of Massey branded hay equipment it is almost non existent.  The majority of this area is either JD or CaseIH.  There is a fair amount of Gleaner combines around and Hesston hay equipment but that's the majority of the AGCO presence. 

I own a DT240a and a 545b Challenger both have CVT and I personally think that transmission is second to none.  Would I buy another AGCO tractor yes, do I care about what badge it has no, but I seem to be atypical as most farmers want a more "name brand" even if it's subpar. 

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:51am
I've also noticed Agco red picking up some previously IH Case/IH red customers.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Dale I really don't understand why people care about the color, a product is a product, but out here in these parts most farmers absolutely will not have a Massey.  Strangely the last local equipment dealer to go out of business was the Massey dealer which also sold Ford cars and trucks.  At one time there was a lot of Massey equipment but today outside of Massey branded hay equipment it is almost non existent.  The majority of this area is either JD or CaseIH.  There is a fair amount of Gleaner combines around and Hesston hay equipment but that's the majority of the AGCO presence. 

I own a DT240a and a 545b Challenger both have CVT and I personally think that transmission is second to none.  Would I buy another AGCO tractor yes, do I care about what badge it has no, but I seem to be atypical as most farmers want a more "name brand" even if it's subpar. 

Here, they care ALOT about "COLOR"!! Like I mentioned earlier, MF and the subsequent COLORS are a nasty reminder to the locals "here" !! The local MF dealer folded 6-7 years before ANY local A/C did.They even folded before the White dealer did. MF leaves a sour taste in most farmers mouths in this area.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

[QUOTE=Kansas99]

Here, they care ALOT about "COLOR"!! Like I mentioned earlier, MF and the subsequent COLORS are a nasty reminder to the locals "here" !! The local MF dealer folded 6-7 years before ANY local A/C did.They even folded before the White dealer did. MF leaves a sour taste in most farmers mouths in this area.

I’m die hard Allis guy. My hate for MF is out of spite for them being the prodigal child. AGCO stood for Allis Gleaner company not Massey Ferguson. Just like taking a Sunflower implement and plastering MF stickers on it. As my Allis’s get replaced it will be with Deere’s. I got one Deere tractor and several implements that I like and had I got what I needed for my 6080 it would have replaced with a 6400 Deere.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 6:46pm
It was Deutz that killed Allis.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

It was Deutz that killed Allis.

Duetz wounded Allis bad, Ratliff’s death was another nail in the coffin, corporate stupidity finished it off.

-------------

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:58pm
I hated to work on a Deutz, but when you sold one, you could forget where it went to. When a MF was sold, you knew where it was, because you knew it would be back in the shop. Had two MF built MF that warrant and dealer spent more on than tractors cost.        MACK

Posted By: GARY(OH/IN)
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:41pm
Over the years I've seen a lot of big Massey tractors that have caught on fire and have known of many loader size tractors with transmission problems. Am I wrong?

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:29am
Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

Over the years I've seen a lot of big Massey tractors that have caught on fire and have known of many loader size tractors with transmission problems. Am I wrong?

Can't recall any MF "utility sized" loader tractors with tranny issues, but a local farmer that was all MF had his 1155 -a BEAST- in the local MF dealer shop multiple times for tranny issues,and he didn't even mess with the fuel pump :-( . He finally went all GREEN.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:07am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

I hated to work on a Deutz, but when you sold one, you could forget where it went to. MACK

Here you can forget where the Duetz went to because it soon got resold and left the area.

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:47pm
VictoryAllis wrote Deutz wounded Allis , true-- Ratliffs death didn't happen before the major shake up, that really set AGCO Allis spinning --Ratliffs son in law and other AGCO corporate officers were killed on a plane crash-- then Ratliff stepped in to the CEO position - then That Dickenhagen guy took charge,, and all AGCO Orange and then nope its gone,, sad

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm
I'm heading to the Colorado Farm Show in Greeley tomorrow.  I know the MF dealer is now a Fendt dealer and expect they will have one or two on display.  When I was in Germany and around there, I only saw a few JD's, CIH and MF's but the roads were covered with Fendts hauling corn to bioplants.  Something that really surprised me was all the corn that is grown in Germany, France, Belgium and the Nederlands, I thought I was in Iowa!  I guess they must sell a lot of Massey's somewhere, but it isn't in the areas I was in.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:56pm
Some facts missing in this thread...
1. Robert Ratliff retired after reaching mandatory retirement age (a story there also)
2. Ed and John were killed in a plane crash - no relation to anyone
3. Agco did drop market share after dropping Agco tractors
4. The market share has been regained
5. Agco's market share in under 100 hp tractors has increased in higher %
   than any previous time in AGCO or MF or any AGCO heritage lines in the last 2 years
6. Agco - MF Fendt Challenger market share over 100 hp has increased almost every
   year in small per cent increases.
7. if one takes the industrial sales away from CNH  - world wide Agco is close to them 
   in AG sales.

IF one thinks there is some machine that puts out Green Red or whatever color machines, you are wrong - it is a group of people just like us that struggle every day to buy, build, sell , finance, service and collect the bills on ever  product that rolls out the doors of plants around the world and are transported worldwide as well.  Farmers buy from local dealers who are there to support them in time of need unless they are capable of working miracles themselves when things go wrong.  Yes one can go to machinery pete or fastline occasionally and that's ok.  But to think one can 'punish' a brand by trading off a piece of machinery in spite is a very naïve immature action.  If a producer can better himself by going to a different brand then by all means do it.  That usually means that a relationship has been broken  with the local dealer who had supported the customer for years - like Tip O'neal  said all politics are local.  Deere is mentioned here  = Deere sold its sole to the corporate stockholder devil a few years ago when it FORCED out GOOD single store dealers. I have friends who were Deere dealers who had corp sales vp's come to their house and tell them if one spouse or dad passed the contract would be taken and given to the mega dealer -and they did and have nation wide with few exceptions - so much for caring individually for the customer or family owned dealership.  Say what you will about Agco , but when a customer has an issue - there is a high per cent of resolution if the customer is reasonable  and wants to work with them- from major issues to nit picking stuff  - we deal with it daily.  This goes for the small guys too, not just the big time operators... Agco is not perfect, ha, I uh discuss, with them daily over issues. Within reason we have taken care of customer issues down through the years to the customers satisfaction with very few exceptions, and that is from AC to DA to MF..... and yes there are still a few old AC guys with Agco. 

-------------

Posted By: cottonpatch
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:36pm

Some facts missing in this thread...
1. Robert Ratliff retired after reaching mandatory retirement age (a story there also)
2. Ed and John were killed in a plane crash - no relation to anyone
3. Agco did drop market share after dropping Agco tractors
4. The market share has been regained
5. Agco's market share in under 100 hp tractors has increased in higher %
   than any previous time in AGCO or MF or any AGCO heritage lines in the last 2 years
6. Agco - MF Fendt Challenger market share over 100 hp has increased almost every
   year in small per cent increases.
7. if one takes the industrial sales away from CNH  - world wide Agco is close to them 
   in AG sales.

IF one thinks there is some machine that puts out Green Red or whatever color machines, you are wrong - it is a group of people just like us that struggle every day to buy, build, sell , finance, service and collect the bills on ever  product that rolls out the doors of plants around the world and are transported worldwide as well.  Farmers buy from local dealers who are there to support them in time of need unless they are capable of working miracles themselves when things go wrong.  Yes one can go to machinery pete or fastline occasionally and that's ok.  But to think one can 'punish' a brand by trading off a piece of machinery in spite is a very naïve immature action.  If a producer can better himself by going to a different brand then by all means do it.  That usually means that a relationship has been broken  with the local dealer who had supported the customer for years - like Tip O'neal  said all politics are local.  Deere is mentioned here  = Deere sold its sole to the corporate stockholder devil a few years ago when it FORCED out GOOD single store dealers. I have friends who were Deere dealers who had corp sales vp's come to their house and tell them if one spouse or dad passed the contract would be taken and given to the mega dealer -and they did and have nation wide with few exceptions - so much for caring individually for the customer or family owned dealership.  Say what you will about Agco , but when a customer has an issue - there is a high per cent of resolution if the customer is reasonable  and wants to work with them- from major issues to nit picking stuff  - we deal with it daily.  This goes for the small guys too, not just the big time operators... Agco is not perfect, ha, I uh discuss, with them daily over issues. Within reason we have taken care of customer issues down through the years to the customers satisfaction with very few exceptions, and that is from AC to DA to MF..... and yes there are still a few old AC guys with Agco. 

Excellent post and very well said. There is only one single store Deere dealer in Virginia and their days are probably numbered. It’s appalling the tactics Deere has used to force out Good dealers.

-------------
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm
There are a lot of MF, Challenger, and Fendt in the county next to mine. I work in that area daily and have been surprised over the last 10 years of how those brands have increased in market share. Deere still has a large presence there but I see it shrinking. Matter of fact, the local Agco dealer is building a large new dealership near the I-81 exchange in Harrisonburg. Scheduled to be completed by this fall.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:37pm
IMO AGCO has the market share it does despite itself. How much more could they have had if they hadn't killed off the brand that outsold all their other brands in the USA? Wasn't the ratio something like 4 to 1 AGCO  Allis US sales over Massey and Challenger US sales combined? That kinda tells the US farmer that they didn't matter and then AGCO comes out with data pointing out that, yep, the US farmer really doesn't matter. How dumb was that! And then they out right lie that they would keep building AGCO Allis tractors right before my relative had just purchased a DT series tractor from them. And the lie that AGCO never stood for Allis Gleaner Company. I appreciate the things AGCO has done and I really appreciate my dealers but it could all have been much much better. My opinion probably will not change.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: bigal121892
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

IMO AGCO has the market share it does despite itself. How much more could they have had if they hadn't killed off the brand that outsold all their other brands in the USA? Wasn't the ratio something like 4 to 1 AGCO  Allis US sales over Massey and Challenger US sales combined? That kinda tells the US farmer that they didn't matter and then AGCO comes out with data pointing out that, yep, the US farmer really doesn't matter. How dumb was that! And then they out right lie that they would keep building AGCO Allis tractors right before my relative had just purchased a DT series tractor from them. And the lie that AGCO never stood for Allis Gleaner Company. I appreciate the things AGCO has done and I really appreciate my dealers but it could all have been much much better. My opinion probably will not change.

Couldn't have said it better. 
As a side note, it is my understanding, that the Challenger tractors, will be transitioned to actual Fendt's painted yellow. It will be interesting to see how agco pulls that one off, because we all know how prohibitively expensive it is to have two paint lines.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

There are a lot of MF, Challenger, and Fendt in the county next to mine. I work in that area daily and have been surprised over the last 10 years of how those brands have increased in market share. Deere still has a large presence there but I see it shrinking. Matter of fact, the local Agco dealer is building a large new dealership near the I-81 exchange in Harrisonburg. Scheduled to be completed by this fall.

Deere’s market share in the valley is shrinking (20% which means they get 1 out of 5 new tractor sales). Coupled with poor management at James River Equipment location and Binkley & Hurst (Agco) being a damn good dealer.   

-------------
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:50pm
They are a good dealer, our new Tedder was purchased there and they gave dad a great deal.

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Posted By: m16ty
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 7:28pm
Like has been said, brand is nothing more than a paint color and stickers. Say they had kept Allis and dropped Massey, I'd submit that it would be the same Massey as sold today, just different paint and stickers.

Now there is something to color loyalty, irrational as it is, when you think about it. Fiat never would have done as well with Ford, if they had styled their new tractors as Fiats. What they did was kept the Ford name a few years, then slowly changed the name to New Holland, and still to this day have the Ford colors. Most Ford people are now New Holland (Fiat) people, and they never knew they changed.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:23pm
But at least the FORD BLUE is still offered as a tractor color !!!

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:02pm

Both CaseIH, and New Holland embrace their heritage. Where as agco denies/distance themselves from their heritage, and seem down right embarrassed by it.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:19pm
Get a Rope!

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

Both CaseIH, and New Holland embrace their heritage. Where as agco denies/distance themselves from their heritage, and seem down right embarrassed by it.

Case did everything right when they bought IH, Deutz did everything wrong when they bought Allis and Agco followed their lead.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Case did everything right when they bought IH, Deutz did everything wrong when they bought Allis and Agco followed their lead.

I would agree.

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 9:08am

Case did everything right when they bought IH, Deutz did everything wrong when they bought Allis and Agco followed their lead. [/QUOTE]

I think the guys on the 'Red' board might disagree with this.

Posted By: m16ty
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Deutz is what killed anything that was left of AC. They didn't want anything but the North American dealer network. When they finally figured out that nobody wanted their green tractors, no matter how many dealers they had, and even if they put "Allis" over "Fahr", they were ready to unload. Also, another thing that screwed everything up is that the buyers didn't get the rights to the AC name or logos. 

By the time Deutz was ready to unload, there wasn't anything left of the AC design to build upon. 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I think the guys on the 'Red' board might disagree with this.
[/QUOTE]

Ok, saying they did everything right, might be a stretch. But, there are a lot more orange farms, that are now a completely different color, then there are red farms, that have switched colors. So they must have done something right.

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:02pm
I think Deere is going to eventually regret forcing out their smaller dealers. Competition keeps prices down. In my area of Iowa, Van Wall is the dominant dealer and they're not afraid to charge for anything. 

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:58am

I disagree, at first AGCO was on the right track naming the company Allis Gleaner Company and bringing back orange. Later on it went south.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: Branger
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:19pm
Lots of interesting comments here.  My take is this..........It was actually Allis-Chalmers that began the ruin of Allis-Chalmers.  Deutz pretty well finished it off by dropping the color and destroying the tractor design tooling.  AGCO tried at first by bringing back the color and using similar styling.  They couldn't afford to buy the name but they wanted to.  AGCO's logo was as close as they could get to the A-C logo without getting sued.

Along the way I think AGCO has made some stupid moves.  Tbran had that same opinion when they dropped the orange tractor, but his living comes from selling AGCO equipment, and he has to support their way of doing things.  He can't express his true opinion, at least not on a public forum.  The fact of the matter is that the A-C name was not available for purchase, at least at an economically feasible level, so there was no way to move back towards that image.  

Many of the anti-orange things AGCO has done only makes sense if it became questionable from a legal standpoint for them to continue to show credence to A-C.  I truly believe they were forced to move away from orange and Allis from a legal standpoint.

All that being said, I was a 100% A-C farm through the 1990's.  Now the only orange thing I have is a D-14 parked in the barn for nostalgia reasons.  I moved on to other colors not because AGCO got away from A-C but because AGCO has zero dealer presence in my area.  You can't sell equipment to progressive farm operations if you don't have a dealer presence, period.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:13pm
So Brangor, seeing as you only have limited posts and no location in your "header", are you a dealer for Agco? Can't wrap my head around the fact that the Allis "orange" paint is /was a factor of Germany dumping the color due to "legalities" :-( JMO New Holland still has BLUE LOL!! Thanks for your input though, just still chaps my a$s the orange got dumped.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:46pm
I fully understand not running Agco equipment where there is no service.
What I cannot understand is why an Allis - Chalmers enthusiast , on a AC site, would spew hate towards AGCO and  the old AC guys  that still work there.   Allis Chalmers killed Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment - period, case closed, 35 years ago. Agco picked up the mangled mess and at least provides a source for parts and service knowledge for AC Oliver White MM and a few other tractors and a bunch of other companies.   I spoke at a well known ag company who had lots of sharp young farm kids... all born after AC went out of business.  Things change, there were once AC and Ford dealers in every town in West Tennessee - now there are like 3 MF/Agco dealers and 2 New Holland dealers.. someone said at least the NH are same color as Ford - give me a break - they are FIATS... does the color of the skin make a man or the tractor?  I was totally upset when AGCO made the mistake of going to a 2 brand strategy but you get over it - same tractor under a different shade of paint - same people service, warranty and sell the same product.  If your wife or girl friend or boy friend changes styles of clothes and cologne or perfume do you ditch her/him and go find another so as to have two mother in laws ,,,, no wait I digress :-) :-)    BTW at the place I mentioned - only 1 person ever heard of AC , Ford or any other tractor I mentioned - Deere, MF CASE  were the only ones recognized - we live on a Continent where less than 1% of the population can buy a NEW over 100 HP Farm Tractor... but we do have a lot of enthusiast of the old stuff . Very few farm kids are out there - less than 2 % of us are farmers - who are going to work in Ag machinery  or support  businesses - the new hires come from non farm kids - and most could care less about tractor heritage -  it is a different day than it was on a sad Dec Day in 1985  .

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:08pm
Dang tbran. I have been to your dealership. Went to school at UTM in the 80's. Worked for several local farmers.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:31pm

What I cannot understand is why an Allis - Chalmers enthusiast , on a AC site, would spew hate towards AGCO and  the old AC guys  that still work there.   Allis Chalmers killed Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment - period, case closed, 35 years ago. Agco picked up the mangled mess and at least provides a source for parts and service knowledge for AC Oliver White MM and a few other tractors and a bunch of other companies.   I spoke at a well known ag company who had lots of sharp young farm kids... all born after AC went out of business.  Things change, there were once AC and Ford dealers in every town in West Tennessee - now there are like 3 MF/Agco dealers and 2 New Holland dealers.. someone said at least the NH are same color as Ford - give me a break - they are FIATS... does the color of the skin make a man or the tractor?  I was totally upset when AGCO made the mistake of going to a 2 brand strategy but you get over it - same tractor under a different shade of paint - same people service, warranty and sell the same product.  If your wife or girl friend or boy friend changes styles of clothes and cologne or perfume do you ditch her/him and go find another so as to have two mother in laws ,,,, no wait I digress :-) :-)    BTW at the place I mentioned - only 1 person ever heard of AC , Ford or any other tractor I mentioned - Deere, MF CASE  were the only ones recognized - we live on a Continent where less than 1% of the population can buy a NEW over 100 HP Farm Tractor... but we do have a lot of enthusiast of the old stuff . Very few farm kids are out there - less than 2 % of us are farmers - who are going to work in Ag machinery  or support  businesses - the new hires come from non farm kids - and most could care less about tractor heritage -  it is a different day than it was on a sad Dec Day in 1985  .

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:34pm

What I cannot understand is why an Allis - Chalmers enthusiast , on a AC site, would spew hate towards AGCO and  the old AC guys  that still work there.   Allis Chalmers killed Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment - period, case closed, 35 years ago. Agco picked up the mangled mess and at least provides a source for parts and service knowledge for AC Oliver White MM and a few other tractors and a bunch of other companies.   I spoke at a well known ag company who had lots of sharp young farm kids... all born after AC went out of business.  Things change, there were once AC and Ford dealers in every town in West Tennessee - now there are like 3 MF/Agco dealers and 2 New Holland dealers.. someone said at least the NH are same color as Ford - give me a break - they are FIATS... does the color of the skin make a man or the tractor?  I was totally upset when AGCO made the mistake of going to a 2 brand strategy but you get over it - same tractor under a different shade of paint - same people service, warranty and sell the same product.  If your wife or girl friend or boy friend changes styles of clothes and cologne or perfume do you ditch her/him and go find another so as to have two mother in laws ,,,, no wait I digress :-) :-)    BTW at the place I mentioned - only 1 person ever heard of AC , Ford or any other tractor I mentioned - Deere, MF CASE  were the only ones recognized - we live on a Continent where less than 1% of the population can buy a NEW over 100 HP Farm Tractor... but we do have a lot of enthusiast of the old stuff . Very few farm kids are out there - less than 2 % of us are farmers - who are going to work in Ag machinery  or support  businesses - the new hires come from non farm kids - and most could care less about tractor heritage -  it is a different day than it was on a sad Dec Day in 1985  .

Excellent points about AGCO’s continued support of the old equipment. The last orange tractor I had was an 8070 that I sold in 2012, and at that time it seemed like most parts were still available. I’m hearing of CNH parts being NLA on tractors from the 90’s and 2000’s, namely 24 speed transmission parts on the Steiger 4wds.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:36pm

So Brangor, seeing as you only have limited posts and no location in your "header", are you a dealer for Agco? Can't wrap my head around the fact that the Allis "orange" paint is /was a factor of Germany dumping the color due to "legalities" :-( JMO New Holland still has BLUE LOL!! Thanks for your input though, just still chaps my a$s the orange got dumped.

Not a dealer, just a dumb farmer from Illinois who likes A-C equipment but hasn’t owned any for several years. I’ve moved on to blue, red and green because of dealer support.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Branger Branger wrote:

Not a dealer, just a dumb farmer from Illinois who likes A-C equipment but hasn’t owned any for several years. I’ve moved on to blue, red and green because of dealer support.

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity,does 1 color prevail over another one ?

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 7:21pm
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity,does 1 color prevail over another one ?[/QUOTE]

Deere probably leads our area with Case IH a close 2nd. NH is 3rd. I prefer NH because they are cheaper and perform the same. Red and Green combines are about equal in number in our area. One or 2 New Hollands, one or 2 Gleaners and no Massey to speak of.

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:16pm

What I cannot understand is why an Allis - Chalmers enthusiast , on a AC site, would spew hate towards AGCO and  the old AC guys  that still work there.   Allis Chalmers killed Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment - period, case closed, 35 years ago. Agco picked up the mangled mess and at least provides a source for parts and service knowledge for AC Oliver White MM and a few other tractors and a bunch of other companies.   I spoke at a well known ag company who had lots of sharp young farm kids... all born after AC went out of business.  Things change, there were once AC and Ford dealers in every town in West Tennessee - now there are like 3 MF/Agco dealers and 2 New Holland dealers.. someone said at least the NH are same color as Ford - give me a break - they are FIATS... does the color of the skin make a man or the tractor?  I was totally upset when AGCO made the mistake of going to a 2 brand strategy but you get over it - same tractor under a different shade of paint - same people service, warranty and sell the same product.  If your wife or girl friend or boy friend changes styles of clothes and cologne or perfume do you ditch her/him and go find another so as to have two mother in laws ,,,, no wait I digress :-) :-)    BTW at the place I mentioned - only 1 person ever heard of AC , Ford or any other tractor I mentioned - Deere, MF CASE  were the only ones recognized - we live on a Continent where less than 1% of the population can buy a NEW over 100 HP Farm Tractor... but we do have a lot of enthusiast of the old stuff . Very few farm kids are out there - less than 2 % of us are farmers - who are going to work in Ag machinery  or support  businesses - the new hires come from non farm kids - and most could care less about tractor heritage -  it is a different day than it was on a sad Dec Day in 1985  .

I don't think anybody was spewing hatred towards old A-C guys that still work there. I think it just pisses off the old die hards (myself included) how AGCO suddenly forgot their heritage and are now embarrassed by it, and are changing the facts about where the company name is derived from, among other things.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm
Also, it is true that 90% of the younger generation has never heard of / don't care about A-C in name, color or anything else. In 30 years give or take, this entire argument will be moot because most (not all) of us will either be dead, or soiling ourselves in a nursing home, or won't remember our own names.

Having said that, this is an Allis-Chalmers enthusiast forum and yes, we are going to complain about the direction AGCO is going, because we all have some sort of strong connection to A-C. Whether it's growing up driving one, owning a dealership, riding on the toolbox or whatever, we don't like seeing the last remnants of the company heritage being flushed down the crapper never to be seen again. Allis Gleaner Company, Orange paint, the triangle logo resembling the old AC, and Gleaner combines are all we had to cling to. Now the Gleaner name is threatened, barely mentioned on the AGCO website. These young people think AGCO means "your agriculture company"  but we know better.

Ok I'm jumping off the soapbox now, sorry for the long rant.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:00am
At the National Dealer Meeting / Training in Orlando - Agco recognized Wilbur Laker, an old line AC dealer.  Phil Jones in front of the Massey/Challenger  dealers stated and I paraphrase " We recognize dealers like Laker Equipment  who provided the foundation upon which Agco stands"   and all the dealers gave him a standing ovation.... AC / Hesston  and other brands are regularly credited for the contributions at dealer events. Agco has market share gains in almost every product category. The Gleaner name is not threatened unless one wants to call the AGCO president and vp of sales liars as they stated the agco commitment  to the Gleaner line to the dealers. NH doesn't promote Ford....  again there is none more pro AC heritage than I  - I own over 20 units we use on the farm- two gleaners, antique AC show tractors and lawn mowers  - but they don't pay the bills when I put the key in the door each day battling  the competitors for the farm equipment dollars being spent. I advertise what I have to sell... with old orange tractors in the background :-)  

-------------

Posted By: lowell66dart
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:27am
When I purchased my grandfathers property I wanted a tractor. My dad died when I was twelve but I remember his first was an AC so I bought a little B and found this site. I was into Harleys and drag raced Mopars but this tractor stuff is what I am having fun with now. The cars and bikes are all gone. 

Anyway, I just bought a White tractor and was very happy when I could look up part numbers on AGCO parts book for a two year production tractor. Awesome support. 

-------------
AC 6080 (8030,7060,200,175,D-17HC, 6040,160,6140 all gone) Farmall 1066 & 656 Hi-Clear (for sale), White 2-62 High Clearance, JD 4255 Hi Clear.

Posted By: Rhoadesy_65
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:50am
You can give AGCO all the hard time you want, but I think they do a good job of supplying parts to older tractors given they span the heritage of Allis, Oliver, MM, Massey, and White among others. I walked into the dealer in the spring and was able to get the hose that goes from air cleaner to carb on the D-19. I've heard AGCO gives dealers credit for new parts if they send any NOS parts they have left on the shelf in to AGCOs warehouses to be widely available. I have no problem with Green equipment but the local dealer doesnt have much interest in us smaller guys, rather deal with the guys that trade equipment every year. Not much to say for CNH tractors, but NH hay equipment has worked well for us. They want nearly 5k for new rolls to put in the 479 I paid $900 for though. 

-------------
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:14am
IF I have been short or irritating with any responses, I sincerely apologize. We dealers and Agco do a poor job of public relations.   As stated there are lots of AC guys who read this site but never post- more in service and parts that one thinks. They email me and are sometimes miffed as they are working hard to preserve parts and service but find it increasingly hard to keep the level of service they desire.  There are lots of things behind the scene that the general public doesn't see.  Lots of frustration as well.  There are tough decisions - we ran into some white seat leaf springs that the company who built them went out of business.. To buy the stock the springs were made of - $12,350 plus a set up fee of ten grand. All for parts that sell 36 times a year.  Agco worked with a dealer and found a shop that could replicate  the part - it is being worked out.  This happens several times a month on parts. The man power and time is an investment in the millions for a framework to work on this - then the frustrating thing is a price is set and a deal struck for parts - then the word gets out on the net and the next thing AGCO sees is the vendor is back dooring parts to someone who has no overhead - and then sells at half what agco has put in the system.  Stuff happens.  Again, no company is perfect, especially my place and Agco - but there is always "the rest of the story " that never gets out - and those who do know just don't have the time to investigate and respond to all the platitudes and diatribes  posted here on an Orange heritage site - but then this IS the place when issues arise  that need addressing.  Hopefully all to the increased value of what we hold deere, I mean dear.......

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Rhoadesy_65 Rhoadesy_65 wrote:

You can give AGCO all the hard time you want, but I think they do a good job of supplying parts to older tractors given they span the heritage of Allis, Oliver, MM, Massey, and White among others. I walked into the dealer in the spring and was able to get the hose that goes from air cleaner to carb on the D-19. I've heard AGCO gives dealers credit for new parts if they send any NOS parts they have left on the shelf in to AGCOs warehouses to be widely available. I have no problem with Green equipment but the local dealer doesnt have much interest in us smaller guys, rather deal with the guys that trade equipment every year. Not much to say for CNH tractors, but NH hay equipment has worked well for us. They want nearly 5k for new rolls to put in the 479 I paid $900 for though. 

I am in NO way bashing AGCO as far as supplying parts for multiple 30+ year old equipment,I can't believe what our local AGCO dealer; yes, we have one 22 miles away;can get us within a few days-if it's not in stock, but just can't understand why the ORANGE paint had to go away,. If it is a TM deal, can't the orange be "tinged" a little??
As far as my original post was more in reference as to where the White's went before being "scooped up" by the Agco takeover?Seems like there was nothing silver/red for several years but would still see Allis products in orange paint before the "green" tint became the "norm" for a few years.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:33pm
I strongly agree with you Tbran that AGCO is impressive when it comes to keeping parts available for the old lines, and I don't think anybody on this site can disagree with that. I just wish the company management would remember and respect one basic fact: if it wasn't for Allis-Chalmers, there would be no AGCO. Period.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 12:10am
As I posted over a week ago, I went to the Colo Farm Show and the MF dealer is now also the Fendt dealer.  They had two on display, both 900 series.  Huge tractors with all the bells and whistles, and a price to match, $450,000 for a 490 hp tractor with duels all around, refrigerator in the cab and lots of other cool stuff that few of us would be able to afford or really want.  I was also surprised that there is a new dealer in northern Colorado selling D-F tractors, prices were maybe 15 to 20% less then other makes of the same size.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 7:13am
D-F tractors?

Anyhow, I know there are a lot of good people working at AGCO and a lot of good dealers doing their best but I think AGCO at the top has little respect for the American farmer when they came with the excuse that they needed to reduce down to two brands so the most popular brand in the US, AGCO Allis, had to go because having 3 paint colors was too expensive. That is a story that I'll never swallow. Here is why, because at the that same time period AGCO was introducing more and more brands and you could get a Valtra in any color you wanted....... except orange. Now I know when I go to an auto paint store red is usually the highest priced paint, I'd like to hear an argument that it isn't, and AGCO has sooooo many brands and soooooo many different colors of equipment, so explain again why AGCO Allis had to go? I mean really let me hear why. Not why it shouldn't matter because it's the same tractor, not why I'm too small to matter, and especially I don't want to be told how I'm not loyal to my dealer, I am. I still own nearly all AGCO supported products but I'm driving further and further for parts.

I feel bad for my local dealers to see what AGCO has done to them. Forcing them to sell a red headed stepchild where there is no interest in Massey. Not even giving them a chance at becoming a Challenger dealer, which at least had some appeal because of it's former ties to Cat, all because one very big organization in our state claims all rights to sell Challenger. This big dealer network focuses on construction equipment is killing the market for Challenger because they are used to construction work hours and so because of that and the distance for most to travel to a Challenger dealer there are few Challengers are sold. And my dealer can't get a contract to sell Challenger because of some deal between this big outfit and AGCO. If it weren't for Gleaner my local dealers, I am certain, would be gone, relegated to independent repair shops or lawn and garden sales at best. Allis Chalmers may be responsible for bringing down Allis Chalmers but who is responsible for my local dealers struggling for the past 20 years? Certainly not Allis Chalmers.

-------------
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: Rhoadesy_65
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

D-F tractors?

Deutz-Fahr. Ik there is a dealer in ohio (Sutter Bros?). They are trying to make a presence again in the US since the Duetz-Allis days. From what I hear they are cheaper than a FENDT but still one of those Euro-style deals. Not sure if they are catching on or not Im not close enough to that dealer to see any. Our local AGCO dealer (15 minutes up the road) also sells New Holland tractors. They have sold quite a few Masseys and gleaner combines. They have always sold a lot of gleaners but I think Massey sales are going up. 

-------------
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH

Posted By: Daehler
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:01am
Equipment color gets to be a big deal when it comes to a farms heritage. It creates high emotions when owners of orange paint feel like they got stepped on when it was discontinued. For example, grandpa bought his first tractor in 1934. It was a orange one and we have been that ever since. Its been my farms heritage of running the orange paint, its hard to explain but its a connection through the years gone by. Its humble pride of being able to run a brand or color for almost a century. I have the same feeling for the New Holland hay equipment. I could go buy a Case machine thats almost identical but it wouldn't be the same as owning a New Holland branded and painted machine.
I dont know if any of this makes sense to anyone but it gives some reasoning to all the emotion that gets posted in some of these threads.

-------------
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Daehler Daehler wrote:

Equipment color gets to be a big deal when it comes to a farms heritage. It creates high emotions when owners of orange paint feel like they got stepped on when it was discontinued. For example, grandpa bought his first tractor in 1934. It was a orange one and we have been that ever since. Its been my farms heritage of running the orange paint, its hard to explain but its a connection through the years gone by. Its humble pride of being able to run a brand or color for almost a century. I have the same feeling for the New Holland hay equipment. I could go buy a Case machine thats almost identical but it wouldn't be the same as owning a New Holland branded and painted machine.
I dont know if any of this makes sense to anyone but it gives some reasoning to all the emotion that gets posted in some of these threads.

Daehler, I think you nailed it.

-------------

Posted By: injpumpEd
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 7:17am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

As I posted over a week ago, I went to the Colo Farm Show and the MF dealer is now also the Fendt dealer.  They had two on display, both 900 series.  Huge tractors with all the bells and whistles, and a price to match, $450,000 for a 490 hp tractor with duels all around, refrigerator in the cab and lots of other cool stuff that few of us would be able to afford or really want.  I was also surprised that there is a new dealer in northern Colorado selling D-F tractors, prices were maybe 15 to 20% less then other makes of the same size.

Hey John, what does Prospect Impl sell now days? Their former branch store Hammonds still around? What they sell? When I was at Prospect in the 89-93 span, they were having trouble getting along, and I'd heard after I moved to IL, they split them up completely. 

-------------
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 7:45pm

Was at the farm show in NC the past 2 days, this brought back a lot of bad feelings. They are still in business and are trying to make a comeback in the USA. Grrrrrrr

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:04pm
By the looks of all that screen on the hood they must still run that air cooled diesel. That color just made me spit up a little.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:29pm
Pretty sure air-cooled has been dead for 20 yrs now. The could never meet exhaust emissions with it.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Was at the farm show in NC the past 2 days, this brought back a lot of bad feelings. They are still in business and are trying to make a comeback in the USA. Grrrrrrr

It’s a SAME with deutz engine, liquid cooled Italian made tractor. Motor is German of course. Dealer proximal to me is now carrying them. I’d rather have a Massey personally....Sisu engine coupled to a Dyna4 transmission is good stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 11:57pm
Ed, Hammonds are long gone, I'd forgotten about them until you mentioned it.  Prospect is now run by Tim Altergott although I see his dad, Don,there most every time I stop in.  Tim's Grandsons Justin and Jared Ewing are now working there.  I haven't stopped in in over a year but stopped in front of the store after hours last September to tighten up the chains on a hay rake I was hauling.  Tim drove out and waved.
The lot is filled with lots of red tractors now, MF's.  They are still Versatile dealers and had a couple on the lot.  Also sell Sunflower, McDon, Crustbuster, Great Plains drills,and Rhino mowers.  I need to go out there soon and get some new plow shears for my IHC 642 spinner plow as they have a great selection of plow parts.  Even had some that fit my AC 3 bottom spinner.  Can't find moldboards for AC's anymore though.  They still stock a lot of Oliver parts, must have a deal with AGCO for parts.  Need to see if they have parts for my MM 670 ampha torque unit.  You can check them out at prospectimplement.com  BTW, I need to send you the injector pump from my 190 XT with the broken drive shaft, along with the injectors for repair.

-------------

Posted By: injpumpEd
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:55am
Tim was in my class in high school. He never really wanted to be a tractor guy, but honestly I think he has probably made a great living at it. Donnie has to be close to 90?? His dad Carl lived into his 90's, he would come down on occasion, when I worked there. I wonder how they like selling the MF tractors, when they used to really dislike them lol! I'm betting you mean Donnie's grandsons? Tim wouldn't be old enough to have grandkids at a working age. Tim was always a really nice guy!

-------------
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 10:03am
yeah, lots of mergers in Europe just like here.  SLH was SAME, Lambardini, Hurlimann . Then after SAME broke ties with Agco - they merged/bought whatever into Same/Deutz-Fahr...  Bringing back the Fahr part. 
Same built some neat looking engines, but never the serviceability or quality of Deutz IMHO.   ( you could pull a piston out of a Deutz w/o pulling pan - not so with SAME)
Side note -
While we were struggling with the Deutz-Allis tractors went to Louisville NFMS and met Bob MCelrath who was the tractor marketing manage for tractors at the time.  He took me to the SAME display and we meet with the Italian rep for them.  They had 1. an orange tractor - 2.  a tranny with plenty of speeds 3. a syncro-shuttle 4. some good looking cab tractors over 100 hp 5. a competitive price and SIX promises of a power shift from 80 hp up - all kinds of new technology - and higher hp units to come.  Now it wasn't perfect, but the promises were exciting.  We went back and sat down with James Seaver (agco founder) and did a sales pitch on him to save us from the pea green - non selling - units.  The readers digest version is the Agco_Allis orange tractors.  We got the tractors in - and found out they were not truthful in their long term promises.  We sold over 200 of the SAMEs.  The 4600's were ok the 5600 's were really good. The early 6600 were horrible except the 6690 non cabs which we never ran a warranty claim on. The first tractors they shipped us were rejects and non - updated units they had setting around.  They denied it but when we fussed at Jim Peterson about the specs - he dug out the orders and found the narrow 18" tires were not what he ordered.  Sherwood Wheeler finally stripped out a wiring harness, figured out what was wrong and too light (Europe uses no air conditioners) and went to Treviglio Italy to straighten them out. The updated versions were 99% better - but they were at the end of the relationship and few came over . Also at this time many dealers had given up trying to sell them anyway.
The electronic govern'd 8600 s were new and customers didn't accept this technology that we ahead of the market - deere should have had one first - ha.
Every first units sold were taken back and reworked and the customers were given new units at little or no cost!  I think a few Agco guys went over and did the mafia impersonation to the SLH guys.. anyway we took all the change outs we could get - did the updates on some and had a low hour unit with warranty at a super price - and they sold... some dealers hated them - we were willing to put up with the issues and fix them - and still have almost all we sold still running performing well - but it was a miserable journey.  The power shift never came as the high hp units.  Who was it that said trust but verify .... we should have verified what we were getting.      

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 1:15pm
Deutz is still in the game, heard they are nice but one question - why are they so short? Ac 8000 were the same in my opinion, short machines in 4 whl drive ? I guess turning, but it just seemed odd

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net