Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=167678
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 4:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CL Question
Posted By: Tbone95
Subject: CL Question
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:02pm
Shortly after posting a for sale, got 2 texts almost simultaneously wanting to send me a code from Google, saying it verifies "I'm real".  Seems awfully fishy, each time I reply, I get the 2 replies from the 2 numbers almost simultaneously each time.  Weird.

Anybody deal with this?  Legit?

Replies:
Posted By: Bill_MN
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:07pm
Do you have a Google account or did you link a Gmail address to your CL? I have 2-step verification on my Google account that will text a code to my phone if it detects a sign in on an unknown device, to verify it's me and not someone who hacked my account. Never heard of that with CL though.

EDIT: If you look under FAQ page on CL it does say it will send you a verification code if you have a phone number listed for your account and post an ad, they must use the Google system somehow. Sounds like it's legit if happens every time.

-------------
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow

Posted By: trace
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:17pm
i would stay off craigslist, try facebook marketplace or here if tractor stuff

-------------
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
It’s not from google or from Craigslist, it’s from 2 different phone numbers, bad grammar, super pushy, just weird looking to me.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:52pm
Scammers

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:11pm
its them DANG RUSSIAN BOTTS !!! I bet they know LONN !! LOL

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: TimCNY
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:05pm
Russian collusion?

-------------
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:37pm
Craigslist is one of the best to use ,, don't jump on an impulse to reply, read the resonses thoughly,, if it looks or feels fishy , don't reply,, always use email to keep records,, FB marketplace REALLY exposes your info, just think and use good judgement

Posted By: cabinhollow
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:39pm
I sell a lot ($X0,000.00) on CL. My trouble is keep a listing up.
It is almost impossible for me to keep a listing up to sell my sheep.
Then I can have a farm equ listing up for 2-3 weeks and then it is removed.
As far as scammers, even when I had 30+ listing up ( now I am lucky to keep 10-15 up) I would only get a scam email ever 2-3 months.
What I have found is if I post a item on FB and CL, CL will remove the listing.
Happens about 25%-30% of the time. 

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:20pm
Did you try just calling the numbers?  Sounds weird, only things I've bought off CL I just called.

Posted By: TDF
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
It's a scam. Google "craigslist google code scam" to read all about it.

TDF

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:40pm
If you're in doubt about a phone number, google it.Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:36pm
If they weren't Nigerian oil Minister's I wouldn't trust them. Now them's guys you can bank on.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:31am

Thanks for the verification of my suspicions.  This one was really blowing up my phone as you can see.  Had another conversation simultaneously from a different number, and they started within minutes of the ad being posted!  BS detector went off in time thankfully. 

I guess the mistake I made was publishing my number and allowing texts and calls.  Stick with CL Relay from now on.  Sheesh......a$$holes!!!

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:46am
When I post something for sale on CL I generally get a half dozen texts in the first hour or two. Easy to see they aren't legit, just delete and go on with my day. The ones you posted, I would delete and forget about them. $5 a bale will sell in time. Sold 2 green combine heads on CL this fall, a 444 corn head and a 216 grain platform, neither highly sought after here in Ia. nowadays. Took quite a while but they both went down the road.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

When I post something for sale on CL I generally get a half dozen texts in the first hour or two. Easy to see they aren't legit, just delete and go on with my day. The ones you posted, I would delete and forget about them. $5 a bale will sell in time. Sold 2 green combine heads on CL this fall, a 444 corn head and a 216 grain platform, neither highly sought after here in Ia. nowadays. Took quite a while but they both went down the road.
Well maybe posting what I did will help someone else.  Only reason I did.

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:53pm
see a lot of ads with the number and some of the digits that are spelled (ex. 777-6seven1-three82five) maybe that stops that crap.  Don't know I've called numbers like I described but I've never sold on line, I'm kinda of a hoarder.Big smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net