Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=167392
Printed Date: 05 May 2024 at 6:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Redneck Engineering
Posted By: DSeries4
Subject: Redneck Engineering
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:32pm
Reading Brian's post about the farmer fixes on the D12 made me remember about an Allis featured show I took a bunch of tractors to in 2017.  I just kept seeing one after the other and decided to take pictures.  Never did anything with them until now.  Enjoy!

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Replies:
Posted By: 1terrygladys
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:33pm
Those are great!!! Tongue  Thank you

-------------
WD-45, WD, 35 Unstyled WC, 36 Unstyled WC, SC Disk, JD 4430D, JD 4010D, JD B, Iowa pastor & disciple of Jesus Christ

Posted By: Phil48ACWC
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:44am
There are HACKERS everywhere!

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:52am
I didnt see anythin 'wrong'...Wink

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:59am
tractor pullers are the worst at hacking up the air intakes 

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:10am
Ingenuity strikes again!!   LOL!   Those are pretty funny.  To me, I think its a toss-up between the side post Battery and the Starter rod. I think the Starter rod takes it though. Thanks for sharing Myron!...  Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Posted By: Gary Burnett
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:26am
For me practical solutions are the best.I modified my 185 so I can change the fan belt
in 5 minutes instead of it being a half a day job,I can live without that little piece of sheet metal.(LOL)

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:35am
For us Old Mekaniks that would be Fabricobbling extraordinaire!!

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:37am
I think the black abs is so much nicer than the steel threaded pipe!!! 😳

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:41pm
I'm with Steve - the starter rod is #1. LOL

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: Boss Man
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:14pm
I've seen a lot of H and M hoods cut to fit that big 10SI Delco under there.

Posted By: festus51
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:52pm
Today I saw a redneck fix on a mailbox.  Did not get a chance to take a pic.  But this house had the mailbox secured to the post with plastic ty raps.

-------------
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:16am
I Red Greened my mailbox with duct tape after several removals via snowplow. Works good and if you use Gorilla brand it could last a few years between tape jobs...... depending the snow plow driver. Next time I'm gonna use fluorescent duct tape. Wink

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:17am
Oh and I like the starter rod too!

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: TimCNY
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:36am
To make it an easier target, Lonn?

-------------
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:49am
Wouldn't want them to squint Wink

-------------
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
I wish I had taken a picture of my neighbor's mailbox.  It was a microwave oven!  He had a flag attached to the side, and mounted on a post.  Looked awesome!LOL  The made him take it down.  Not "approved" ya' know.  Must've been too good of an enclosure!LOL

Posted By: allisrutledge
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
Thanks Myron, I knew there had to be more rednecks than the two or three here in Tennessee. The world is a better place. I too like the broom starter rod.

-------------
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns

Posted By: jollymon68
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:15pm
Well that just confirmed my suspicions! Rednecks are everywhere!

Thanks for sharing, made my day...

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by allisrutledge allisrutledge wrote:

Thanks Myron, I knew there had to be more rednecks than the two or three here in Tennessee. The world is a better place. I too like the broom starter rod.
Looks to be a walking cane, at least part of it.  Looks like it's cut off.  Could be a broom with the rubber tip on it though.  I vote for it too.

That battery box looks really bad.  Why not just turn it around and leave off the cover like so many do anyway?  An awful lot of work....

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: Ky.Allis
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:47pm
Worst I've seen was a old car hood used as a canopy. The guy said an old Mercedes hood works best cause of their strength and size. It was on a brand new tractor.

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:59am
Necessity is the mother of invention !! 

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

Necessity is the mother of invention !! 

Yeah,,ten Four on the necessity for these mods,,,Clap
 My fav is the battery box as he was havin the same issues of having to boost the battery all the time. On my D14,,I have developed a "drain" on battery requirin a boost if it sets more than 2-3 days. Battery checks out good with my load testor. I've even considered some cables from battery to some plugs mounted on a small panel easy to get to ,,,BUT,,,somebody would surely take a pic and post it here,,,,,,,,LOLLOL

Posted By: johnkc
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:19am
Well Ted then the starter would crank the engine backwards if he turnt the battery around!

-------------
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:33am
when I was a kid, we used to wax the snot out of an old car hood, and use them for 'sled riding'. they were heavy to drag back up the hill

but my favorite redneck hack for tractors is the classic magneto to battery conversion. drill a hole in the mag, run hot wire to points

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:27pm
Folks,
 I think I may have to look closer at tractors at shows. I am sure we can find many more of these. Heck I may have even cobbled up a few things as I went through life too.
Here is a pretty good one on the WD45 I brought home a couple years ago:

also the typical WD series radiator swoosh cut away, to allow the new alternator to fit:

Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:04pm
"Learn to use what you have got, and you shall not need what you have not."

-------------
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

Words that some of my ancestors lived by! Not to mention a lot of the previous owners of tractors I've drug home.

Posted By: Gary Burnett
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:52am
Years ago farmers looked at tractors more as a tool to get jobs done around the farm and not as much as a status symbol to profile down the road past the neighbors and as an entertainment center with heat,AC,sirus radio etc.

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:22pm
"Good as new" favourite phrase of a notorious tractor jockey.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:31pm
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do,,,,

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

"Good as new" favourite phrase of a notorious tractor jockey.

Or in the words of another notorious crooked auctioneer, "ride and drive, boys"...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Dale (Stonelick)
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:30pm
my redneck solution for fixing a cracked seat pan on a CA.  The Harley shock absorber is not an original idea.

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Dale (Stonelick) Dale (Stonelick) wrote:

my redneck solution for fixing a cracked seat pan on a CA.  The Harley shock absorber is not an original idea.

Brought to you by the proprietors of Lucky A$$ Farms!

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:52pm
Y'all oughter patent that! Fix the seat, and hemorrhoid relief, all in one!Hug

-------------

Posted By: m16ty
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:12pm
Every time I buy a used piece of equipment, I always have to "de-farmer" it. I swear, some farmers will spend more time "Jerry-rigging" something than it would take to fix it right. 

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:12pm
I still like the picture of the wife standing on the right rear side of the tractor and the left front tire gone.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:27pm
I like that picture to. Wink

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: irlbeck A-C'S
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:48pm
Brought this one home several years ago. See the fuel tank it has a tall filler neck.
Won't work very well though.

Won't work because it has a boat motor fuel tank inside that you could take out LOL!!!

The trouble people go through to cobble something up??

-------------
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:00pm
There should be a law that forbids some folks to use tools of any kind. About a year ago I brought an I-40. I knew it had been farmerized as there were springs everywhere on the governor and throttle linkages. I just chalked it up to the typical things of those that can't follow the procedure to properly adjust the governor linkage and thought that it wouldn't be a big deal to straighten that out. I also found that the brake lock had been unhooked, because it it the late style with the ratchet teeth and no matter what you do it won't work as intended. I have a set of peddles from an earlier D10 with the cam lock to fix that.  It had been used for loading mulch and had mulch everywhere. After I got a few layers off I found that the sensing linkage to the 3pt had been disabled. No big deal ther either as I'm going to remove that wimpy bastard to hitch up 3pt for a full Snap-coupler that works with all my equipment.  What really takes the cake is what I've encountered while replacing the waterpump that has a bearing loose enough the the fan was ticking against something.  First off, at some point in it's life the lower water elbow had rusted out as the entire lower hose assembly had been replace with a car hose  and the was no way to drain the anit-freeze into a bucket. Then I see that it is a size larger that the  radiator or waterpump nipples because it is pushed all the way up the neck on the waterpump.
All I can say is that it wasn't leaking and that at least the worms on the hose clamps were pointing so I could get a screwdriver on them.  After getting to the pump itself I find that the last time this was done someone made a stud from all-thread for the bottom bolt. It went in OK I guess, however now the stud needed a lot of help to remove. As the I-40 has a loader and hard nose, I'm not removing the radiator. I got the fan off and out with normal effort, although the waterpump hits the radiator before it clears the stud. The only thing I found to work was vise-grips and that only had room for about 1/8 turn at best. needless to say at 16 threads per inch and the homemade stud in near to 1/2" that took awhile.  The method I do is to remove the pulley on the one with the cast fixed pulley, drop in the correct bolt with copper sealing washer and then press the pulley back on. that allows for removal next time without pulling the radiator.  

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: Fred in Pa
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:29am
Why would this be any different then what some come up with to do everything but the correct way to fix something !!!!! and wasting time on something that will not work !!!!

-------------
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 1:40pm
Here is the patch my grandfather put on the block when it cracked. Flat piece of steel with stainless screws and inner tube as the seal.....

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:05pm
Reminds me of the Band-Aids stuck on you commercial. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Reminds me of the Band-Aids stuck on you commercial. Smile

Did I hear a request?

[TUBE]HAsQrngfFLw[/TUBE]

-------------

Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 9:24pm
If you look behind the starter on the BIG 670HI, you will find a bolt-on band-aid.

-------------
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C

Posted By: Moneypit
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
Amazing how people bash farmer repairs they manage to keep them running even if the farm isn’t making any money. Easy to fix things right and put them back in the shed when you’re not depending on them to make a living.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
Moneypit, I for one understand the need for field fixes and short finances. I enjoy seeing these fixes and the ingenuity involved with most of them being parts on hand. I have done my fair share, like a nail for a cotter pin. I also try to fix back to proper when I can if it is affordable or a safety factor. I hope we see more redneck engineering examples.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:07am
Amen... I find good old American ingenuity very interesting. Amazing what people can come up with. Some should have been engineers. Keep posting those band-aids.

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

I always heard;
"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without!"

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:31am
My Dad, rest his soul, was a great one for utilizing the farmer cotter key (bent nail). Had many of those in implements around the farm. They functioned just as well as a cotter pin and maybe in the long run even better. At least you could straighten them out and re use them!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:42am
Yea, I just love those bent nails! my Dad was a firm believer in them! You never ever stuck your hand down in a piece of equipment without looking first!

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:20am
I have whole collection of never been used cotter pins, but still have things with a bent nail in them Big smile
 We have a family saying, 'Slaymakerized' because my Great Uncle Sam fixed a LOT of things on the farm with what he had. There was a broken hinge on a barn door, that had the sole of an old shoe nailed in place of the hinge. I'm sure it had to have been there for 40 years or more.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net