Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=166671
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 12:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 410 pistol
Posted By: HD6GTOM
Subject: 410 pistol
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:55pm
Anybody have 1? Anybody used 1? Thinking about buying 1 and keeping it handy when the old gal and I go on the road. I do have the permits to carry. Will have to check the state rags and see if the paperwork I have is good in southern states.

Replies:
Posted By: allisrutledge
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:14pm
Yea I got the pocket version, short grip and low hammer. I have not shot it but it's loaded near where I lay my head at night. I think its got the disc loads in it. Judge I believe

-------------
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:20pm
Sister in law carries one.
She's very happy with it.

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:38pm
TC Contender has one that will shoot 410 shells or .45 Long Colt.  Friend of mine had a double barrel derringer that did the same, proud to say I somehow had the sense to never shoot it.  I think a 3" shell would have stuck out past the end of the barrel.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:53pm
Never shot one, but wouldn't mind running a few rounds through one. You can get some good self defense loads in .410. The key to having a good self defense weapon is being able to access it very quickly. Become familiar with the laws in each state you plan to carry, a lot of times law enforcement, especially the locals, are not aware of the changes to the laws.

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:12pm
I still have a .45acp 1911 near me in bed, goes to safe spot when I get up but comes back to bed at night. And no I am not paranoid, have tweakers in the region and they tend to choose Old People to pick on, almost hoping one shows up.

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:56pm
Tom,
I have shot a DB, but just a couple rounds just to get a feel for it. the cartridge just protruded the end of the barrels slightly. Small handle, hard to control.
With all due respect, i'm not sure why anyone would want one for carry. With DB you only get 2 shots. If you go for a revolver, you have a hefty hunk of iron in your packet. I'm not sure what is available for slugs for the .410, so I can't speak to that.
But, I can say, according to a study I read awhile back, there is marginal difference in effectiveness in close range shootouts among common calibers, with the exception of the .22. I don't think the .410 was included, but I would suspect the .410 wouldn't score significantly better than the other big calibers, .45, .44, etc. In the study, the big bores were no better than .380, 9mm, 10mm, .40 etc.

With that in mind, if self defense CC is what you have in mind, I would go with a subcompact 9mm or .380.

I carry a Rugar LCP .380. I wear cargo pants, I keep a folded bandana between the gun and the outside of the pocket to break up its lines. You cant tell I have it. I have 7 rounds Hornaday Critical Defense 90 gr.

The gun is light, controllable.

However, if you are looking for something to carry in snake country...….

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: truckerfarmer
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:34pm
Like Lou said. Shot one just so I could say I had. Believe it was a Leinad with 11" barrel. Won't do it again. For self defense, would work better as a club than a pistol.

-------------
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!

Posted By: tomNE
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:59pm
I have 2;  a judge by taurus and a public defender by the same manufactor.   5 shot revolver.   never miss.  one for home protection and one for concealled carry

-------------
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 3:16am
check your state (all states) where you might intend to carry it. some states (NE used to) consider them a "short shotgun" and there fore consider them illegal. they will confistcate it, plus hang you with the charges. I don't know if NE has changed the law on them here or not yet.

Posted By: nella(Pa)
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:05am
Helped Daughter purchase a Taurus Judge with a laser for home protection. In low light or no light the red dot works very well. It has a kick to it, about like a 357 or a 45  and if you are afraid of shooting it might not be the gun for you. Go to a indoor shooting range and see if they have one to shoot. You can get different loads for it, some are for home protection. You can also shoot 45 cal. with it.

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:42am
I have hefted one of those Judges.  Quite a piece of pig iron.

I am with Lou on the concealed carry.  I have the S&W 380 as opposed to his choice of the LCP.  Yep it fits right in the pocket.

BTW Lou, did you know that Ruger has an updated LCP out?  Trigger assembly seems to be a cross breed between the hammer fire and striker fire.  I have dry fired one and the difference in the trigger pull is amazing to me.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:45am
Wife has a couple of them. Don't know if she's ever shot 410's through it or not. Evidently she hasn't used it on me yet. Darrel

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I have hefted one of those Judges.  Quite a piece of pig iron.

I am with Lou on the concealed carry.  I have the S&W 380 as opposed to his choice of the LCP.  Yep it fits right in the pocket.

BTW Lou, did you know that Ruger has an updated LCP out?  Trigger assembly seems to be a cross breed between the hammer fire and striker fire.  I have dry fired one and the difference in the trigger pull is amazing to me.

ya, I have an earlier one, and a the new one. The new one has a couple of refinements, trigger pull being one of them. nice gun

-------------
Wait for the Lord;

Posted By: festus51
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:06pm
I have a derringer in 45colt/410 3" barrel   I patterned the 410 at 15 ft with bird shot,  the pattern was about 3ft circle .  I was told that #3 buck  will put down a man.    I shot 45 colt in it ,  it kick pretty good so I lowered the powder charge on the 45 colts.   It sleeps with me at night.  It also is very easy to conceal.

-------------
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 10:58pm
I've used several, including the Judge.  Problem with .410, is that it's not all that powerful to begin with, and because of the presence of wad, when coupled with the powder's expansion rate, pushing on the back of the wad, requires about 4 more inches of barrel to get any efficiency... you have about two-thirds of the powder left to burn when the muzzle finally opens.  You're gonna make noise and fire, and if an attacker is not wearing sunglasses, you may poke his eye out.  You'll make him hurt, but then he'll be very angry, and his friends won't be happy.  A .45LC is a better choice, but defensive combat dynamics makes a .380 auto with a multi-shot magazine beats it many times over.

To make a shotgun derringer effective, you pull it out, get in close, fast, reach out, and pull the trigger.  When defending yourself, you must do the opposite- draw to a defensive stance and back off.

If I didn't have a .380, I'd chose a Taurus PT-25 (25ACP) over a shotgun derringer.  With a .25acp, you'd have to perforate someone , rather than knock them down, but you'd have the ability to PLACE a 50-grain round, and you'd have plenty of 'em to pass out if faced with mutiple assailants in a group.  One shot to a kneecap puts a mugger on the ground... one  shot through the hand, and they're leaving.  If that doesn't  quench their determination, choose something vital.

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:09am
One of the selling points of the judge, is its ability to use the same frame, to fire different rounds... You could load in .410 bird shot, BB, Buck, then have the rest in .45 long, and escalate your ammo, as you shoot.  Me, I'd just stick to a good old 1911, and a full clip.  I do profess to liking the look of da judge, but with something that big, CC is hard to accomplish!Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: ac fleet
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 12:32pm
First you have to decide IF you can actually shoot somebody!-- IF you are not sure, DONT carry one! -- Now for me, I love 357 mag western style long barrel!-- Could I shoot someone? --- If it came down to him or me , you betcha!

-------------
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:21pm
When it's panic time you won't have time to choose

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

When it's panic time you won't have time to choose

Just saw the tag line, Lonn...

AllI gots to say is

--- -... .- -- .-  .-- .- ...  .-- --- .-. ... .  - .... .- -.  -- --- .... .- -- -- . -.. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:42pm
shameless; they have been legal in NE for along time.  I do remember them being illegal and can't tell u when the law changedbut it's been along time ago!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:45pm
DIYD
-.-- --- ..- …. .- …- . .- -. . .-. .-. --- .-. .. -. -.-- --- ..- .-. ...

-------------
Wait for the Lord;

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 5:20am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

DIYD
-.-- --- ..- …. .- …- . .- -. . .-. .-. --- .-. .. -. -.-- --- ..- .-. ...

.-.. --- ..- --..--  - .... .  .-.. .- ... -  ...--  -.. --- - ...  .- .-. .  .- -.  . .-.. .-.. .. .--. ... . 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 10:48am
the public defender is small and lighter and fits in a glove box or console much easier then the judge.   I bought the 3in chamber judge and probably wouldn't do that again!

-------------

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 11:02am
Lou, Lonn, Dave:
-.-- .- .-.. .-..     .... .- ...- .     - --- ---     -- ..- -.-. ....     - .. -- .     --- -.     -.-- --- ..- .-.     .... .- -. -.. ...

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Lou, Lonn, Dave:
-.-- .- .-.. .-..     .... .- ...- .     - --- ---     -- ..- -.-. ....     - .. -- .     --- -.     -.-- --- ..- .-.     .... .- -. -.. ...
.-.. --- .-.. .. -- .-. ..- … - -.-- …. .- …- . -. - -.. --- -. . -.-. --- -.. . .. -. .- .-- …. .. .-.. .

-------------
Wait for the Lord;

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 6:22pm
Lonn got it all started...  If I wanna hide something, I just color it to real close to the tan background...Wink

.--- ..- ... - / - -.-- .--. . / .. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / .. -. - --- / --. --- --- --. .-.. . --..-- / .- -. -.. / - -.-- .--. . / .. -. --..-- / - .... . -. / -.-. --- .--. -.-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .- ... - . .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Lonn got it all started... 

.--- ..- ... - / - -.-- .--. . / .. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / .. -. - --- / --. --- --- --. .-.. . --..-- / .- -. -.. / - -.-- .--. . / .. -. --..-- / - .... . -. / -.-. --- .--. -.-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .- ... - . .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

.-- . .-.. .-..     -.-- . .- ....     -.-- --- ..-     -.. .. -.. -. ·----· -     .- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.--     - .... .. -. -.-     ..     -.- -. . .--     -- --- .-. ... .     -.. .. -..     -.-- --- ..-     -.-. . .--. -     ... --- ...

Posted By: Dave H
WTF Confused

As for the other, yeah, you and that trick go way back!LOL

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

As for the other, yeah, you and that trick go way back!LOL

another way to do it, is to capitoLIze random letters, talK about thE weaTHer, InfirmitieS, anything.  Some times it takes a while, for anyone to catch on...Wink

-------------

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 2:03am
Although I suggested otherwise above, and although it doesn't exactly qualify as a compact concealed, I would personally prefer the full frame 1911, for lots of reasons, including but not limited to, the selective nature of it's operation... one can choose, by virtue of placement, wether to warn, injure, disable, or dispatch a target.  From 25 feet, A round to the shoulder will spin and drop a 250lb man to the ground, and grant enough time for you to either move forward to secure the target, or retreat to safety.  When the 7 round clip is empty, you can rapidly eject, insert a new, and cycle to battery a ready round for more action. 

Most importantly, once it's empty, the 1911 pistol is STILL a VERY deadly weapon, and can be used to do all sorts of really bad things to an adversary, while having no ill effect to the sidearm- a fresh magazine will put it right back to conventional operation with no worries about damage to the barrel, firing mechanism, or loading.

A casual assailant wouldn't likely be inclined to escalate a situation much farther than a hammer-back once the wrong end of that barrel was facing them, but having the option to apply 'unrestricted combat' mode would not only eliminate a large quantity of the greatest threats soonest, it would immediately convince the lesser-skilled/lesser-esperienced bad guys that it was time to exit in lieu of a new avocation.

Of course, if I ever came upon an option to acquire an M15 variant, I certainly would, but I'd feel obligated to contact the original officer's decendants, as they may want opportunity to acquire it as a family heirloom... that kind of thing superceded my worthyness a bit.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-   -.. . -.- .-- ----- -.. . -. ....- .-----

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 7:23pm
when I took my concealed carry class, they claimed most of the time when legally fired your victim is 3-5ft away.  25ft usually means he's running away and some places frown on shooting them as they retreat.   best shoot to kill if they are running away so your story is the only one they hear!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: festus51
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:42pm
I just waited till KS passed conceal carry with no class.  Everyone is legal to carry concealed in KS   Plus open carry has been legal since 1800  I guess.  Been legal for as long as I can remember.

-------------
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:31am
[TUBE]IDJHS0_l8xY[/TUBE]
[TUBE]FFxZBGjf1GU[/TUBE]
[TUBE]CDFhJteaFxM[/TUBE]

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: fixer1958
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:54am
Oldest son has a Judge
Youngest son bought a old K10 Blazer that he thoroughly destroyed
in his youngest son ways.
Oldest son wanted to try the Judge out with 00Buck and 45's.
Youngest son said use the Blazer I ain't gonna fix it. Wasn't much anyway.
From 20' ain't nobody getting away if hit with 00.
45 went clear through it.

Posted By: nella(Pa)
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

From 20' ain't nobody getting away if hit with 00.
45 went clear through it.

The previous video dosen't give a fair evaluation of the 410 Judge for home protection. I would like to think my stomach is like a cement block but if a red dot is put on my stomach at 20ft. I know that would be the end. 

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:45pm
the video dude was a joke!   

-------------

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 2:19pm
Sorry guy's, just ran across it while surfing and though ya might like the info. I myself use a Taurus 4" 357 mag revolver.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: trace
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 3:07pm
the governor smith wesson .........410/45 a crime stopper.

-------------
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net