Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=163619
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: D 15 steering shaft bushing
Posted By: ACinSC
Subject: D 15 steering shaft bushing
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 3:13pm
Trying to replace the one on the frame rail close to the carb . Have it off and what's left of the old bushing out . New bushing is maybe 1/8" too big . Anyone know if this sounds right ? Its #70228255 Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Jim.ME
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:07pm
Using the D15 parts catalog the 70228255 bushing appears to be for the upper shaft (steering wheel area). The bushing for the lower shaft (frame rail) is 70222447 for both manual and power steering, if this is the one you are looking for. HTH

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:21pm
Well , no wonder it won't fit . Didn't realize there were 2 up at the steering wheel . Thanks Jim !!

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:26pm
Heck I just learned there's supposed to be a bushing in the frame rail ( #3, 2nd dwg) !!!!
All this time I though thought it  was just a nice 'clearance hole'.....
It looks like 1/2 the tractor has to come apart to install a new bushing so maybe next ,next Summer's project ????
Guess I'll check #2 and #3 to see if THEY have that bushing...tomorrow..THAT I can do..
Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Don(MO)
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
Look the shaft over too, it might need to be built up.

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:29pm
Right you are Don . The shaft is definitely worn . Thanks

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:19am
While I have this apart is there anything I can do about all the play in the end of the lower shaft where it goes in the back of the manual steering box ? Thanks

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:43am
Plan to pull this #70228690 coupling today and see if it's worn out and causing all the play in my steering . Thanks again Jim for the diagram .

Posted By: Jim.ME
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:54am
You can access those same drawings for your tractor, and more. Those drawings are from the on line parts book. Go to https://apb.agcocorp.com/login.aspx?region=NorthAmerica" rel="nofollow - AGCO Parts Books . Click on "View Books" in the Guest User section. That will get you to where you do a model search for D15. Select the D15 from the drop down and you will have your parts book to look at.

Below the View Books on the sign in page is a button for AGCO pubs. That will take you to their publications store if you want to purchase manuals.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:35am
Thanks Jim . If I ever get my "big" computer working again I'll sure check it out . Thanks for the help

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:43am
Most of the play in the steering seems to be in the box itself . Someone did have a 5/16" bolt in the 3/8" coupling/shaft pin hole . Gonna use a 3/8" bolt and loctite the nut . Every little bit helps I guess . Still have to order the right bushing . Thanks

Posted By: Don(MO)
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:17pm
 I'd get one of "70918623" roll pin from AGCO when you order your bushing and not use a bolt/nut.

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:53pm
Thanks Don . I'll ask about that roll pin when I figure out what else I need . Just pulled the steering wheel so hopefully I can get to the upper bushings .

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:24pm
Anyone know how this #70227783 control assembly comes off ? Have the dash panel loose and the snap ring off on the top of the lift/lower lever . Trying to access the steering shaft bushing . Any help is much appreciated . Thanks

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 4:35pm
Finally have my D 15 back together and made a test run . Replaced the lower bushing . Also had the shaft built up and turned to size . Probably cost about $50 total . Still have a good bit of play in the steering box . A project for another day . Thanks

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:16am
Do you have factory power steering??  ...with the engine off, there is a certain amount of steering wheel slop and that is normal.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:22am
No power steering Dr Allis . I wish it was . Thanks

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net