Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=161683
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 12:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tariff $$
Posted By: FREEDGUY
Subject: Tariff $$
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:29am
If this has been asked and answered already, my apologies. Who collects the monies and where does it go? Who gets to use it? Again, if this has been discussed already,maybe someone could steer me to the post. Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:56am
goes in the general fund, don't worry, uncle sam will find something stupid to spend it on!

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:07am
Yep, collected by border protection / customs.  They examine the paperwork of incoming goods to make sure the tariff has been paid.  Goes to the general fund as shamers said.......Ran across a fascinating little tidbit looking at that this morning, the US STILL HAS THE LOWEST TARIFF RATE IN THE WORLD!!!

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 11:17am
The manufacturer does when the higher prices get back to them!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 12:05pm
Just rember.... the price you pay for anything imported to this country would be lower without tarrifs.soooo all the tarrifs come right out of OUR pockets.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:04pm
And here's what congress spends it on...

[TUBE]Qj-yAHTfVeE[/TUBE]

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:07pm
PaulB
...no, not nessarily(sp). If an item is $5 before and after the tarriffs, it's still $5 . What changes is the profit margin for the seller. That's why I asked if anyone has seen increases in prices.

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
YEP... China sells an item for $10 to a US Distributor... The US GOVT charges 15% TARIFF so in theory the IMPORTER pays the $1.50 and the item would then be sold to YOU for $11.50 .......... but what is ACTUALLY happening is  China is selling the item to the US DISTRIBUTOR for $8.50 now and then the $1.50 TAX puts it back to the ORIGINAL selling price for $10. TO YOU ............. So CHINA is EATING the loss right now.. Maybe not forever, but they keep the PRICE low to keep the SALES VOLUMN UP.

You see prices going up at Wal Mart or Harbor Freight ?

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:23am
Nephew works for Harbor Freight, actually a decent job selling cheap stuff. Their discounts Continue and their pricing remains the same. He has NOT seen a 1% increase in anything as yet and as he manages a store he would know the bottom line numbers.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:12am
I've seen some Harbor Freight prices increase on some of the bigger equipment like floor model drill press etc, about 3-5% in the last 3-4 months.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:54pm
and....some places tag on the word "imported" to create a bigger price for anything, now they will have the reason for the higher $$$ that they have been pocketing all this time.

Posted By: Todd AL
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:38am
Or, you could choose to buy the same type of item that is sourced from a country other than China.

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:46am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

and....some places tag on the word "imported" to create a bigger price for anything, now they will have the reason for the higher $$$ that they have been pocketing all this time.
Did the calendar just snap back like 40-50 years without me noticing???  I mean, do you really think that works today???  If anything, I'd say it's the opposite, unless we're talking Porsche, BMW, or something.  As for "pocketing" that money, that's what they're in business to do.  If some one buys it for the price they put on it, good for them.

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:38pm
I wish they'd put a 200% tariff on dehydrated honey. China is drying honey down to powder, shipping it to Viet nam, they are taking the Chinese flag off the boat and sticking a nam flag up then shipping this crap to the US. Big honey is buying this crap, adding water to it and selling it thru the big retail stores.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 3:29pm
Should at least have to have on the label, Made from Dehydrated, like OJ made from concentrate.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net