Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=161631
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: HD6E Track adjuster stripped - Help
Posted By: HD6
Subject: HD6E Track adjuster stripped - Help
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:09pm
Good afternoon- The yoke on the Track release adjuster is stripped. Can anyone give me some advice on how I can repair the yoke or does anyone know where I can get another Yoke.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies:
Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:37pm
that yoke would be pretty easy to come by from a salvage machine.  general gear in Idaho http://www.tractorparts.com" rel="nofollow - www.tractorparts.com has a good selection but there is likely something closer to you.  hopefully someone else will chime in.

you could have it fixed at a machine shop but may cost more than a salvage one, but with freight who knows?

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 1:10pm
Thanks, So far I haven't found anything around me. I called General Gear in Idaho, they said they'll need to do some looking.  Thanks again for the tip.

Posted By: gemdozer
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:34pm
You could just use on more nut on the adjusting screw and adjusted the trak with the first nut and lock the second one on the first nut ,some guys do that

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:46pm
Thanks Gemdozer- I found a couple of yokes $250 and $275 plus shipping.  I'll probably buy one but I'm going to look for a couple of 1.5 inch nuts and try your suggestion to get me going again asap. 

Posted By: jerbob
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

You could just use on more nut on the adjusting screw and adjusted the trak with the first nut and lock the second one on the first nut ,some guys do that

Good suggestions everyone.

-------------
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Another approach would be to thread the yoke, to the next size up, and weld a piece of that sized all-thread, to the back half...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:50pm
As long as that lock plate is there and is threaded yet - a single nut is all that is needed and use the plate as the locknut - just use longer bolt to attach to the yoke . 
 On a HD5B I had I turned a new threaded shaft for the yoke and then used a piece of square tube to make up the section to use adjusting wrench on - welded threaded to square tube and done 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:04am
Hello Everyone.

I had to rebuild both of my track adjusters on my HD16. They were not the screw type but hydraulic type using a grease gun to move adjusters. They work great and my tracks at spec.

However, I saw member Mortan who had to repair his on the spot by using a hydraulic ram in place of the original adjuster on his 16.

Could a new yoke and adjuster be made using the marriage of a high capacity jack with parts of the yoke and ram welded to it?" One step further could be plumbing in to the tractor hydraulics so you could adjust with the push of a button so to speak?

-------------

Posted By: Jim.ME
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:54am
Morten and others have done the marrying of a hydraulic ram (Port-a-power type or other) to the yoke so that is very doable. You say jack do you mean the pump section? I would want to stay with a grease fill/adjust. Using oil can add to leaks. I don't think tying it to the crawler hydraulics would lead to anything good. My thought is if you needed to add oil often enough you just want to turn a valve you must have other troubles, i.e. the ram leaks the oil out or the hose to it got ripped off. JMHO.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:30am
A ram from a snow plow turn cylinder could be used also - would be expanded wit hgrease gun - would just have to have end made up to fit into yoke and use the lock to retain it int yoke

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

Morten and others have done the marrying of a hydraulic ram (Port-a-power type or other) to the yoke so that is very doable. You say jack do you mean the pump section? I would want to stay with a grease fill/adjust. Using oil can add to leaks. I don't think tying it to the crawler hydraulics would lead to anything good. My thought is if you needed to add oil often enough you just want to turn a valve you must have other troubles, i.e. the ram leaks the oil out or the hose to it got ripped off. JMHO.

Good points Jim. Yes I was referring to the ram off a porta power or hydraulic jack in the 30 ton range. You could tap it for grease fitting and like on my 16, use a grease gun to pump up pressure. If I did that, I would use the type of grease fitting used on the old JD 450 dozers. It used a specific fitting that had a mate on the end of the grease gun. Kind of a flat pancake type of a head. Grease gun held on better and would not fall off.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

A ram from a snow plow turn cylinder could be used also - would be expanded wit hgrease gun - would just have to have end made up to fit into yoke and use the lock to retain it int yoke

Also a good idea Coke-in-MN. Hope you are well.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:44pm
You can google this if you want to confirm, I might be wrong. Grease fittings have a pressure rating of what they will hold as a "check valve". Some relieve and hold no pressure, others will be various pressures to 10,000 psi and maybe beyond. While they may work, many are not rated for the pressure an adjuster may see on impact. This is true for the common zerks. I believe the button heads, I think you are talking about, are low pressure. Their primary use was on track rolls, idlers and other applications where a volume gun/bucket could be used. There might be some that are high pressure rated but it would need to be researched.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:28pm
Thank you. Good to know.

The JD 450 I ran for a construction company used the button style zerk on the track adjuster. At least what I remember from 1970.

Lol

-------------

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:16pm
Thats true Jim. Zerks on pressure track adjusters have tapered seats on them screwing into mating tapered seats in the cylinders like SAE and JIC seats on hydraulic hose fittings. The thread has a channel to release pressure by unscrewing just enough to unseat the seal, and keeping the zerk most of the way into the thread. Similar to  brake cylinder bleed points.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 5:04pm
Yes, you remembered correctly. Some of the early 450s used a button head fitting with a relief valve also in the adjuster. The point is not all grease fittings are suitable, like most things, one needs to be sure of what they are getting.

Posted By: Ian Beale
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:34pm
FA 10 uses a standard grease nipple but has a ball check valve in the fitting below.  Also has a valve that releases grease if cylinder pressure gets too great.

A good idea as that area is a bloody pain to work on - you need to strip the track frame

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

Yes, you remembered correctly. Some of the early 450s used a button head fitting with a relief valve also in the adjuster. The point is not all grease fittings are suitable, like most things, one needs to be sure of what they are getting.

Glad my memory was not completely gone! The 70’s were some fun times for me, 18 and an apprentice Operating Engineer running JD 450 dozer and an American cable excavator or shovel. I still love heavy equipment. The smells, the sounds and power.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net