URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=150883
Printed Date: 04 Jun 2024 at 5:56pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Removing a pillow block bearing
Posted By: littlemarv
Subject: Removing a pillow block bearing
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:36pm
As in, how do you?

I need to remove this bearing, and reinstall it on a shaft. I am shortening the shaft, so I was able to just cut it off. I removed the collar with the two setscrews, and tried to air hammer the sleeve off the shaft. If nothing else, I can find a piece of pipe and press it off in a hydraulic press. Or am I going at it all wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-------------
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H

Replies:
Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:38pm
Soak it good with penatrant and then using a press - it should come off - or not  !

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: Snowvalley Dairy
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:23pm
make sure to polish the shaft with emory cloth or sandpaper. also remove any burrs with a file or grinder then press it off.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:44am
Tried the wax trick, yet?

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:27am
All of the suggestions are good. The wax trick works much like penetrating oil as long as it penetrates. I have had bearings like these that had been run in haylage that actually welded themselves to the shaft and had to be cut off with the torch because I did not have a press ! Sometimes all you saved was the shaft ! 

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:12am
Most likely set screws have made a burr on shaft and you will have to force it over burrs to get off . Penetrating oil may not help much.

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:23am
my 'cheat' is to take a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a THIN disk on it. Mount pillow block i vice ,clamping the base of the block.Make 2 vertical cuts to ALMOST the shaft. Whack off the 'cut' portion of the block. NOW the shaft may slide out, if not CAREFULLY cut/grind to really close to the shaft. Use hammer to bang out shaft from block. 'dress' the shaft to 'as new' condition.
Takes me maybe 1/2hr of reasonably pleasent time to do it this way and no  cuts or other booboos on my body.

Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: littlemarv
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:19am
Good thread, thanks for the help. I am trying to save the bearing, not the shaft. I'd imagine the bearing is not cheap.

At any rate, soaked it in penetrating oil for a few hours, then found a piece of pipe that just fit over the shaft. The press never even grunted, she just slid right off. Thanks again.

-------------
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:22am
Everyone has made excellent suggestions.
Clean rust off shaft with abrasive paper.
File off high spots. If the end of the shaft has be hit and mushroomed, use of a Dremel or  grinder may be necessary.
Soak with KROIL.  Give it time to work.  Go have lunch or come back tomorrow.
Use a suitable puller or press. 
It may be necessary to hit the old bearing. Use a phenolic block or brass drift. 
Sometimes a punch in an air hammer will do the trick.

Posted By: LouSWPA
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:12pm
Dynomite!

-------------
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:37pm
Reminds me of guy I worked with as a mechanic in station (way back)
Had a special press for wheel bearings on axle shafts - customers came in and bought a bearing from him and asked to have it pressed on axle as he could not get old bearing off - took into back room - big hammer broke outer bearing race - dull chisel into bearing groove of inner race to remove that - slide new bearing onto shaft - 3' long pipe used as a driver and pound bearing home - 
 Charge customer for use of special wheel bearing press and special puller  and bearing .  

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: Michael V (NM)
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:48pm
What you really need to save is the pillow block...the bearings are relatively cheap to replace...if ya hafta replace the complete unit, that gets $$$$$

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net