Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121341
Printed Date: 14 May 2024 at 5:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: WD45 oil bath air filter screen replacement
Posted By: Le Renard Farm
Subject: WD45 oil bath air filter screen replacement
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 7:58pm
Could you folks help me with my new 1956WD45? I am going to replace the screens in the oil bath air filter but am not sure how to get them out. Does the ring just under the screens come out? I tried but it didn't want to move so I stopped before I broke it.It is a United oil bath filter. Thanks in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 8:01pm
You have to break thru several spot welds and then pull the ring free. There are three rolled up segments of wire mesh. I always unrolled each one and washed them out in solvent and reused them.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
Agreed, Once you are able to get them out, you should be able to clean and reuse them.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Dan73
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 8:21pm
On one oil bath I took it off the tractor plugged the two air holes and filled it with diesel fuel soaked it for a day drained it out then tapped the assembly on the ground and blew it out with compressed air.   I got it really clean. That one went into a different tractor and getting the screens out would have broken the housing for good in that case. On my d17 I did just break the spot welds. Soaking then in diesel works great to clean the screens.

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:27pm
Role them up, soak them in gas then set them on fire. After they cool, unroll them, knock the soot out and reuse them.    MACK

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
Well, I spent a lot of time on the last one I did (corn picker fuzz) and this pyro-technique thing sounds like a really good idea !!!!

Posted By: Stan IL&TN
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 3:07am
I put the whole assembly in the parts washer for a few days then rinsed it out good before draining and blowing air through it. last thing I did was spray a can of WD40 into it to be sure it wouldn't rust.

-------------
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 3:56am
Thanks everyone! I think cleaning of the screens on my tractor has never been done. The stuff I pulled from the intake tube was half an inch thick. I like fire and future service will probably include flames.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 4:12am
Follow up question. Has anyone tried running the oil for the filter through a paper coffee filter to re-use? Thanks again.

Posted By: Dan73
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 5:21am
Just save used motor oil and put it in there you won't change it enough in a year to use up your used motor oil.

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 5:37am
It doesn't hold much new oil. Used oil contains acids that may rust components. Change the oil every 10 hours or so of use. If you can't do that then adapt a dry air cleaner to it and set the oil bath on a shelf.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 6:16am
I think 10 hours is a little extreme unless its really dusty. I can look at mine in 20 hours and it looks almost new. I would say. Change when you change oil. Chen it some other times to make sure it's not to dirty. You know those old oil quarts that collect around a farm with torn off labels so your not sure what weight they are?? That's the oil I use in the bath

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net