Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117919
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 6:53pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: past pull tractors.
Posted By: tbran
Subject: past pull tractors.
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:40pm
anyone have any memories of Wes Sleighbaugs pulling tractor in the late 60s or early 70's?

or a WD that pulled super stock - Lucas & Volland team??

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Replies:
Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:23pm
I think I remember a turbocharged WD45 from back in the early 70s. I think I only saw it at Kinzers and then again at the Buck. I don't think it was ever here in the east again. I never remember getting an up close look but I might just have a picture.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: Dave/cvny
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 8:26am
I have a copy of the Pennsylvania PTPA magazine from July '77, on the cover is a picture of a WD 45 being run by Harold and Bernard Baily from Roaring Springs Pa. The tractor is a gas with a turbo. it runs on high test gas with octane booster. water and alcohol are injected for cooling. 35 - 40 lbs of boost. It ran in the 5000 super stock class with 1500 lbs of weight.

Posted By: Jason(OH)
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:54am
My dad has a picture from Bowling Green of a turboed WD45, taken in '73 0r '74. I'm not sure if its the one you're talking about or not. I can scan it and post it if you like.

Posted By: 45 turboa-
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:46pm
I have a picture of a turboed WD45 in Tomah Wi. 1974 or 75 Lucas was the name I think also there was a D17.

-------------
turbocharged

Posted By: wildcat2
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:11am
Can anyone post some pictures? Would be interesting to see.

Posted By: Jason(OH)
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:09pm
This is the photo my dad took at Bowling Green in 1973 or 1974. I'm not sure if this is the tractor you all are talking about or not. Sorry about the funky picture, I have a new printer and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

Posted By: tbran
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:02pm
looks like it - think it had a home made intercooler - unique back in the early 70's.

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Posted By: Dave/cvny
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:13am

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:16am
How the heck did the axles stay together?

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 9:29am
The trick to higher horsepower is to not weight up. Run light and fast. Back in the days when those pictures were taken we had to run behind a "Pace tractor". The trick was to go a far as you could at nearly and idle and then wind it up. That let the Pace tractor get a long head start on you.  The tractor on the cover of the PTPA is most likely the one I remember

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:31pm
How would that work out for being a pace tractor ? Here they started the same time you did, if it was 5 mph; your tractor run 5 mph, they ran just a shade faster

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:51pm
If I remember right, the Lucas & Volland WD ran the 5000 lb. class back in the early 70's.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:59am
I found the final nationwide NTPA point standings for 1974. The Volland&Lucas team's WD placed 11th in the 5000 Lb SuperStock for the year. Their Oliver 88 placed 4th in the same class.
    Back then the pace tractor was to run at 8MPH. As soon as you started moving, it would take off at 8 MPH, as long as you didn't pass it you were OK. So as I said above, a tractor with good low end torque could go at nearly an idle for awhile then give it the gas. We ran that way for a few years, then the pace tractor idea was abandoned. 

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:28am
I hear ya,,,, it's been a few years and after thinking about it, ours started around the 75ish foot mark,,,

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net