Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11326
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ridiculous price story
Posted By: Dale
Subject: ridiculous price story
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:11pm
Been repairing my steering clutches (actually replacing them) on my Allis HD6G with the good help and advice of John at General Gear and Machine (who I highly recommend). His prices are fair and reasonable. After about a zillion hours of work installing the new ones (those of you who have experienced this know what I mean) I realize I need 2 washers for the brake band adjusting bolt on each side (part #079229). Called the dealer and the washers are available. The washer (yes, just a washer) was priced at $72.06 each. I almost fell off my chair. Needless to say, I'm making my own. I also know why there is still stock available.

Replies:
Posted By: Osage_Orange
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 7:53pm
Yeah, I had a similar experience with a bolt.  Was going to drill it to make a grease fitting for the rollers on my HD5G. It was in mm, about 3 in long, and an odd size.  Found one at a local farm equipment dealer.  Went to pick it up and they said price was $17 (plus or minus).  I looked at the seller like "do I really look that stupid?" and left.  Later found one at a heavy equipment dealer for $3 (plus or minus).  FWIW............O_O

-------------
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?

Posted By: Skyhighballoon(MO)
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 8:38pm
That's just like the WD45 hand clutch bushings that AGCO wanted $33 EACH for (takes 2).  Went to McMaster-Carr and got a single longer bushing, will cut it in half for like $2.48 or something each.  Mike

-------------
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:40am
Local Toro dealer(1mile away) wants $500(+13% taxes) for the water pump(10 day delivery) of my 217-D lawn mower(17HP Mitzy diesel). I've ordered one from down south(Georgia) for $110,shipping included.
Heck, I can buy my passport,drive to Buffalo,buy a return ticket to Georgia,fly there,buy part and come back, in one day for less than the $500 !!!
Some dayze I just shake my head.....
Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 7:55am
Few yeas back i bought a gearbox for my Arens mower deck, lasted 4 hours of mowing and siezes up , broke gearbox, and ripped it out of deck housing.
 Went back to dealer i bought it from and he would not warranty it, asked for his suppliers name so i could take it up with him. Very reluctant to pass on info. Anyway got it and went to see them , when they seen the invoice for gearbox, it was double price of what it was suppose to be. Dealer had marked it up 100% plus added $40.00 shipping .
 Supplier ended up selling me full new mower deck with new gearbox for $150 more than i paid for gearbox alone. Warranty covered all but that $150 charge.
 Also when i bought bull gear and pinion gear for HD4, found one dealer that wanted list price + 30% more than dealer recommended book cost. Then wanted $30 shipping.

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net