Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100201
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ? regarding winching an H-3 onto a Trailer
Posted By: orangeman
Subject: ? regarding winching an H-3 onto a Trailer
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 11:35am
Guys: Need your input - I purchased a nice little H-3 with less than 1,000 hours on the dial.  

One steering clutch is out of the machine and laying on the work bench. 

I am thinking that i should be able to leave the transmission in neutral and use a good sized hand winch to pull onto my tilt bed trailer.  

Theoretically i think the pinion should still be able to turn even with one steer clutch out? 

Advice on this very much appreciated...Thank-you!

Orangeman

Replies:
Posted By: Randaleky
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 3:46pm
SHOULD WORK JUST FINE. MIGHT NEED A LITTLE HELP PUSHING UNIT WITH TRACTOR OR SOMETHING WHILE HAND RATCHETING. JUST THINKING.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 6:26pm
Randeleky: 

Been stored in a garage for past 20 years.  Guess I have the prior owner give a little push with his tractor.   

This one is a 4 bottom roller machine - first I had ever seen in the field with a 962 Blade.  Was used to push top soil on yards so machine is in very nice condition except for the one steer clutch.  

Posted By: Adam Stratton
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 7:53pm
You can pick up some pretty good electric winches pretty cheaply at Harbor Freight. It might be worth it for something like that! I have a 12000 lb winch that was $300 at harbor freight, and have used and abused it like crazy and it still works great. I winched a dead 340IH tracloader on my trailer with it this summer just fine. Pushing a button is sure nicer than cranking! 

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 9:20pm
Might need a good size come along - I had a 2 ton and a 1 ton I used when loading a HD5 that was dead - even with a slight push the 1 ton case exploded from the pull , chinese come along went along way in pieces .
 If you use electric winch use a snatch block and double leverage on pull. 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 4:40am
Adam and Coke:  Excellent insights ....

Thank - You.  Orangeman

Posted By: Ages Cat
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 10:21am
With one steering clutch out, if you disengage the clutch that is still in the machine, all you will be turning are the tracks and final drives outboard of the clutch. It should roll a little easier.

-------------
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:50pm
Curt: I was thinking that would be the case. I need to oil the rollers first might help with it rolling a bit. 

As always - appreciate your knowledge and good insights!

Thank- You

Orangeman

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:36am
Depending on where it has bee sitting may have an impact on how it moves. There have been a number of crawlers in the area that sat so long that the chains/rails rusted together. But on the flip side the small crawlers will roll to the point that one must be careful. I got off the HD6 one day and it rolled about 5 feet.

-------------
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:09pm
Curt:     The machine has been sitting in a small garage safe  and dry.  Sitting on concrete. Liked your video of the HD 3 on you tube!!!

Beautiful machine.......

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:18pm
The HD3 in the video has 560 hours on the tach. I have the 3 point hitch for it.I have a 2 yard Henry scraper that we pulled this year. It is a nice combination for playing in the dirt.

-------------
Curt Anderson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net