Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Ford F600 cabover truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Ford F600 cabover truck
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:59pm
I know Shameless is going to get a rope and put my name on it for doing this, but I bought an old 1971 Ford F600 cabover truck for 500 bucks to haul silage with. Now being that it's a cabover, and the transmission is about 10 feet behind the driver, it has an elaborate shifting linkage to get from here to there, that presently doesn't work worth a . I am not sure if it is all the linkage fault, or something in the shift tower on top of the transmission, or something in the transmission. First question, and probably what I am going to first thing in the morning, is if I un-bolt the shift tower and take it off the transmission to see what's going on up to that point, there isn't anything that is going to fly apart or fall down into the transmission, or anything detrimental like that, is there? At this point, I'm thinking putting an automatic transmission in it would be a good option, but I'm already 3 weeks behind at getting my corn chopped. Anyone an expert on these ole trucks? Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm
If everything is on the up and up all yer going to contend with is getting all the shift forks back onto the shifting collars where they go.

Might help if you can mark what position the shift lever is before you take it off, but if you;re gonna be moving things around checking stuff out, then it isn't going to matter.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm
I had 1 of those many years ago. Even then the shifter was funky. I hated it. Good luck with it.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:27pm
There is a old New Holland bale wagon in the junk here that Shameless would tell us is to much Ford truck of that vintage. It was jumping out of low gear so I had a old fellow that told me he knew all about manual transmissions,and I didn't have hands enough to hold it in gear, steer,and flip levers to stack bales. So I let him play,put a bearing or 2 in as they where ruff but not out all else was good he said,but still jumped out of gear. So we played with linkage, stayed in low gear but would not shift into 3 and 4. Never got out on the road so ok on field roads.  

Stopped using it as truckers wanted a different stack they could pick up with there squeeze lift fork lift out fits. So had my cousins newer bale wagon borrowed and transmission falls apart big time, and he fell off a truck and was in hospital. So I just jerk that old transmission out and bolts right in,still will not go in 3rd and 4th. After a little more investigation 3rd and 4th are now out.

So I will not suggest you put it in 2nd and just go so you get something done. Cause that may mess up other things if the linkage is putting presure on things that are not made for it. But a ..... a .... what do I Confusedknow your the mechanic Thumbs Upnot me.  Hope some of the smart onesSmile helps not just O'L Evil Smile Shameless and meConfused to muddy up the water and keep you in the dark.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:11pm
I worked with those when they were new and they were not a good shifter even then!  And I like old Fords!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:39pm
make sure you grease the rods, they like to stick, and then it won't shift.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:16pm
I used to drive one hauling domestic drinking water, took a while to get used to it but the linkage is usually the culprit.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:57pm
Over the last 40 years have been around repairing and some driving of units with 4- 2 and 5- 2 and 9 & 10 spd Road Rangers in GMC, Chev, Ford, and International Med Duty trucks unless new all the cab-overs shift funky. IF it will go into all the gears, lube up all moving parts on linkages and start hauling silage. Tighten up the linkage after harvest is done. Have a safe harvest..
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, AC 7000 CAH, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 3:12am
a friend bought one of those ferd cab overs ona auction near me. was a flatbed, I bought a Gleaner CH on the same sale (for $5.) but didn't have a way to get it home, talked the friend into letting me haul my head home on his truck he bought and told him i'd drive the truck to his place when I gots the head unloaded! DEAL! he was standing in line to pay when I drove out with the truck and my head. he caught up to me before I got home (4-1/2 miles) from the sale sight. it would only shift into 2nd gear, nothing else cept reverse. was a long slow trip home! I raised the cab and traced the sifter linkage, there were grease zerks all over down there, and all had not been greased...prolly ever! I replaced a lot of them and oiled and greased everything several times, then tried it on the highway. it shifted fine after that, and I was able to deliver the truck to my friend 22 miles away! he was so grateful to me for doing that for him!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 3:13am
and yes Darrel....that may get you a little extra suprises this winter! to much of Les is rubbing off on you! PfffffT!
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:37am
Back in late 60s, had a Ford cabover at work, took it out on the street and shifted gears and caboom, the dang thing shifted perfectly into reverse, don.t know how it happened, didn't even grind a gear, was a nightmare to shift.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:43am
yep...yet another one of ferds better ideas!!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:09pm
Well, I ended up getting down into the transmission, to find out that reverse gear has some $$$$$$ issues. I am pretty sure it's not supposed to have half inch of clearance around the shaft it rides on. Am scrambling now to decide whether this truck is going to get a new "used" transmission, or if it's going to become a trailer. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:03pm
you sure have lots of tranny problems! a man of your age needs to slow down some! lol
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 4:35am
Yes, I sure do. 4 units down right now with transmission problems. As for my own self and my age, I mostly just have "running gear" issues. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:35am
what engine does that have in it?
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:47am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

what engine does that have in it?

Sodium.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic