This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

off color pto ??? on 4wd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: off color pto ??? on 4wd
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:32pm
Does any body have any experience with a pto on an old versatile like a 850 or 895 how much power could they take looking for some thing to run a haygrinder and the more hp the better 
also what about a caseih or stieger like a 9180 to a 9390  they had pto options and i know of some that run a grain cart but that does not take much power dont know if it would stand up   my brother in law tried a 8650 JD and took the pto out several times finaly quit using it     Thanks
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:01pm
Have a friend with mostly JD and IH that has a manure pump. He said a AC was the only color that would hold up running continuously.       MACK
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:25am
When I was in the Versatile dealer, I'd heard about the PTO you could get on those, but don't remember ever seeing one. I do remember it being a cumbersome afterthought type of setup though. Some steigers had a hydrostatic pto that was marketed for grain carts, and was rated at 100hp of something low like that.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:16am
Ya' know, this brings up a question I've always wondered about:

How does it "pencil out" to use a hay grinder?  Expensive piece of equipment to begin with.  Then, burn a butt load of fuel every time you operate it.  Takes a hell-for-stout tractor to run one because it's so hard on the PTO drive train.  Then, you're likely to tear up something in the tractor anyway, and/or the grinder.  How does it possibly make you money?  Cows on my land have been munching as-baled hay since 1945 when it was my grandpa's place.  Never seen a cow starve to death.  Please explain!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

How does it "pencil out" to use a hay grinder?  Expensive piece of equipment to begin with.  Then, burn a butt load of fuel every time you operate it.  Takes a hell-for-stout tractor to run one because it's so hard on the PTO drive train.  Then, you're likely to tear up something in the tractor anyway, and/or the grinder.  How does it possibly make you money?  Cows on my land have been munching as-baled hay since 1945 when it was my grandpa's place.  Never seen a cow starve to death.  Please explain!

That's why you hire it done. Even when we had a lot of cattle on feed, always hired a hay grinder. And yes, only the Allis 4wd PTO's, will hold up to heavy PTO use like a hay grinder.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:38pm
Guy here has a engine mounted on a 2 ton truck and pulled grinder around and does a lot of work, don't know any of the details on the drive but it seems to work for him.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Jess View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:15pm
certain crops like sorgum , millet, and corn stalks are not consumed buy cattle especially calves very well unless ground into smaller pieces  and yes there is still a feasibility limit to it custom grinders are hard to get when you need it and usually show up on warmer windy days i have been using a New Holland 8970  and have not had any trouble at all with it but could use more power a engine runs the opposite direction as a pto so would have to use a reversing gear box of some kind neighbor has a Detroit engine and truck trany on one but the engine is a marine setup that runs backwards   
Jess View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:16pm
what allis would be the best
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:28am
An 8550 would probably be the best choice. 4W305 would be nicer, but way more money for mostly just more creature comforts. Guess if you have more uses for it than just hay grinding, then it would be a better choice. But for nothing more than powering the hay grinder, go 8550. Just never, ever, leave the tractor turned while grinding. Hard on the drive lines in the articulation area. Make sure it's in a straight position. Darrel
Jess View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 1:54pm
know of any for sale in the area

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 3:24pm
Not right off hand, I don't know of any. They do show up quite frequently though. I'll keep a watch out for one. Darrel
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

That's why you hire it done. Even when we had a lot of cattle on feed, always hired a hay grinder. And yes, only the Allis 4wd PTO's, will hold up to heavy PTO use like a hay grinder.
Well, thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer my question.  You've taken my question about spending money on equipment, and spend it on hiring it, where that guy surely plans on making money doing it......I'm just confused, that's all.  I have no idea who a guy would hire around here, how far he'd come from, doesn't even seem to be an option.  So, you're saying cows eating ground hay eat enough more to gain more weight faster that it justifies the expense? 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

certain crops like sorgum , millet, and corn stalks are not consumed buy cattle especially calves very well unless ground into smaller pieces  and yes there is still a feasibility limit to it custom grinders are hard to get when you need it and usually show up on warmer windy days i have been using a New Holland 8970  and have not had any trouble at all with it but could use more power a engine runs the opposite direction as a pto so would have to use a reversing gear box of some kind neighbor has a Detroit engine and truck trany on one but the engine is a marine setup that runs backwards   

I can see it for that.  On the other hand, never seen millet in person in my life.  I've grown sorghum sudangrass, chopped it and ensiled.  Corn stalks get shredded and left in the field for organic matter etc.  But, I know there's times when feed is super tight you'd be scrimping for anything.  But, these are such circumstances where it all seems unusual, where how could you have that piece of equipment paid for.....Oh well.....
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:45am
Seem a few around here are grinding poor quality hay with corn silage and some wet distillers grain to either up the quality of their hay or lower the quality of their silage. For me , with the cattle prices where they are I'll stay with dry hay and grind my own feed for my calves. I'll spend my dollar on weed control and nutrients for hay and corn.I think you get out of your cattle what you put in them,but I agree with tbone,just too expensive.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Jess View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:44pm
you guys are in a totally different environment here it gets so cold and windy that they can not consume enough without grinding it so they can consume more at a faster rate   but yes there are times that grinding is not cost effective but here it is more than it is not how many pounds of feed will a 1200lb cow consume a day were you are here there are weeks at a time they will eat 70-90lbs a day of dry matter it is only my wife and i and we run 600-700 cows and keep all the calves till spring so there is plenty of head to feed I know i should move farther south to get out of this environment but i can not afford any place  that we have found  as far as paying for it it cost me less than my neighbors side by side that i will never be able to justify owning when i can buy a used pickup and do the same things for 1500 bucks here it costs a lot to winter but still reasonable enough to summer cattle farther south it costs more to summer but less feed during winter i know every place has different situations and it is not for every one  
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 10:27pm
Well, I don't know how you guys that live up there do it. Don't think I could take the weather no matter what else you have going for you.
Straanger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 12:36am
Go to YouTube and search for “northern farmer” they grind a lot of bails, but mostly straw for bedding. They run case IH. Good content.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:25am
Jess, with that many cows and your climate I see your delima. I cannot answer about the durability of the pto. Would a 7080 with some tuning fill the need? Maybe and please done scorn me but what about a case. 1570,2590. Can't you get the hp needed at a lower cost that way? Good luck with your decision. Scott     
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Jess View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:38am
my dad has a caseih 3594 and i have a 7240 magnum but the 8970 new holland does better it is supose to be 220 at the pto but the grinder is good for 300 to 350hp so could still use more this year the hay is so wet it just takes more hp thanks
Transaxial View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm

my dad has a caseih 3594 and i have a 7240 magnum but the 8970 new holland does better it is supose to be 220 at the pto but the grinder is good for 300 to 350hp so could still use more this year the hay is so wet it just takes more hp thanks

Just came across this article and since I am retired, have a very good 8550 for sale. I have owned it since 1986 and in the winter of 89/90 I did a repower to a 350 Cummins. It made a really good tractor out of it. It pulls quite a bit better than original on way less fuel. 14 Imp gal/hr on AC and 9-10 on Cummins. The whole tractor was gone through when we had it split(transmission, drop box, pto drop box, center hinge pins, cab interior, and has been a solid 2nd or 3rd tractor since. Has about 3,000 hrs since the repower with a complete rebuilt NTC 350. I used this tractor to pull a big PT combine for 16 years so if you grease the u-joints every 8 hours you will have no trouble. I have a spare pto drive shaft because of all the hype about them blowing up. We ran the tractor through the shop and fixed a couple little oil leaks, new A/C compressor, new PT fuel pump, new radio with bluetooth, and 4 new tires on front axle. When we did the complete paint job we fixed all the lights and little things that we came across. I will never get all my money out of this tractor but I get attached to my old work horses and like to see them in field ready condition.I have some more pics that are easier to send by email if you want.

barrymosby@gmail.com

[FILE=uploads/11547/IMG_0281_2020-02-29_20-19-05.JPG]
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Transaxial Transaxial wrote:

Just came across this article and since I am retired, have a very good 8550 for sale. I have owned it since 1986 and in the winter of 89/90 I did a repower to a 350 Cummins. It made a really good tractor out of it. It pulls quite a bit better than original on way less fuel. 14 Imp gal/hr on AC and 9-10 on Cummins. The whole tractor was gone through when we had it split(transmission, drop box, pto drop box, center hinge pins, cab interior, and has been a solid 2nd or 3rd tractor since. Has about 3,000 hrs since the repower with a complete rebuilt NTC 350. I used this tractor to pull a big PT combine for 16 years so if you grease the u-joints every 8 hours you will have no trouble. I have a spare pto drive shaft because of all the hype about them blowing up. We ran the tractor through the shop and fixed a couple little oil leaks, new A/C compressor, new PT fuel pump, new radio with bluetooth, and 4 new tires on front axle. When we did the complete paint job we fixed all the lights and little things that we came across. I will never get all my money out of this tractor but I get attached to my old work horses and like to see them in field ready condition.I have some more pics that are easier to send by email if you want.

barrymosby@gmail.com

[FILE=uploads/11547/IMG_0281_2020-02-29_20-19-05.JPG]

It seems my photo did not load so I will try it again. I have lots of pictures but the file size is too big and at the moment I can't recall how I did a downsize of files in photobucket. One picture did post in the other thread recently.

IMG_0281_2020-02-29_20-44-26.JPG
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:18pm
We put straw thru the hat grinder for bedding the chute is adjusted to disperse it out the right side in a fan shape. It on a JD 7200 one bale in it one on the rack and one on the lifter. We can bed the whole lot in about 10 minutes spreads a nice even layer.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:24pm
Looks great!

Where is the exhaust?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:46pm
One of my fuel customers had 6-800 head of cattle on feed year around. They had a 7080 on theirs. They chopped everything. They bought year old hay and ran it thru the grinder and blended it with new hay and silage.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 6:15am
I cannot speak about the tractor you need, but we used a 7060 on the United Farm Tools grinder we owned in the late 1980s with no problem from the PTO. You are wise to understand  the ability to overpower a component. The bigger grinders use their own engine and therefore the drive line can be sized for durability. 

Grinding can pay if the cattle eat a greater percentage of the bales you paid for or paid to raise and store. We feed dry beef cows round baled corn stalks in bale rings a portion of the year and the amount of big pieces left in the rings is significant. I have to deal with the leftovers and there can be quite bit of it and you have to start with a third more feed if that is what they refuse. Were the stalks ground up, mixed with some wet distillers grain or other ingredients to a complete balanced ration,fed in a bunk with minimal waste or refusal, some where there is a point where it probably returns. It really depend a lot on how you figure all of it. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Ron(AB) Ron(AB) wrote:

Looks great!

Where is the exhaust?

Because the turbo on the 350 is down on the right side of the engine and the exhaust is on the rear, we just mounted a 5" Cat muffler from a 980 loader back along the cab side post and connected them with 5" exhaust tubing. Exhaust is out of sight and quieter.

These are old pictures that I downsized the file to be able to post.

AC_8550_3_Washed_021.JPGAC_8550_3_Washed_010.JPG
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 5:56pm
Nice to see an old tractor well taken care of even when it doesn't "pencil out". I just keep fixing stuff that others would say isn't worth it. Works for me and that's all that matters.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 12:45pm
To keep the 855 Cummins as close to the transmission as possible so the fan would fit on the front without lengthening the frame, I had to build my own torque limiter clutch arrangement. The Allis transmission has a proprietary spline on the input shaft so I used 2 Allis 12" friction plates with their stock spline in a 14" Cummins dish flywheel and a Lipe 14" 1138 pressure plate with the release fingers removed and modified spring compression to increase the 600 ft/lb breakaway torque to more like 800 to accomodate the 900 ft/lbs of the small cam Cummins. I chose the small cam engine because they were a lower torque and higher rpm engine than the big cams that were the trend. That stack of components determined the required distance between the 24" diameter Allis transmission face and the back of the Cummins block. I did the design and measuring and a local machine shop built a bell housing from scratch that bolted to the back of the Cummins block and was 3.250" in total depth to position the torque limiter clutch and friction discs on the input spline of the transmission. It was quite the process to build a mounting plate that had the Cummins block bolt pattern drilled and tapped to start bolting 3/4" plate onto to start finding crank shaft center and turning everything in a big lathe so it was all built around crank center. I still have that mounting plate if anyone was interested. Right down to welding a starter mount lug onto the engine end and measuring .015"starter pinion tooth end clearance to flywheel ring gear before boring the starter hole. There are other ways to do this mount but this was a great way to keep it all compact and now 30 years later it has proved to be all in alignment and and a successful repower. I have all the measurements and data from back then so it would be a pretty easy start to duplicate the process now. If anyone wants to repower a 41 year old tractor!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Nice to see an old tractor well taken care of even when it doesn't "pencil out". I just keep fixing stuff that others would say isn't worth it. Works for me and that's all that matters.

YES! After 30-40-50 years of time in a seat and servicing and repairing and caring for some of these old "friends" it gets a little murky where the economics ends and the obsession or hobby level begins. I guess as a semi retired I don't have to justify how I spend my time or money. I would suggest many spend their money and time on things that are far more frivolous. I think many of us farmers continue our passion for all the things we have loved and strived to achieve in the 50-60 years we were actively making a living by working the soil with our equipment. I have always enjoyed keeping my equipment in good condition. It was something my Dad stressed. It was something my instructors at NAIT, a tech school I attended in the early 70s, stressed to us. Servicing and preventative maintenance and scheduled rebuilding of components could extend the life of equipment into the 10,000s of thousand hrs or even 100,000s of thousands of hours. That was in the heavy equipment field but it certainly applies to our ag equipment. There are not many pieces of equipment I have owned that have not had additions, modifications, rebuilds, or some changes made where the design engineers fell short of doing their job. I guess I just like to see things working well and lasting for a long time doing the job they were intended to do. Or much more than their original design intended.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic