This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NAPA parts seem high priced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAPA parts seem high priced
    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:41pm
RR145 Distributor Cap $16.45 and RR 301 Distributor Rotor $15.99.  These are for a WD45.  Maybe these are in line and I'm just out of touch.  Checking on your thoughts.  Thanks
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:31am
It really depends on the mfr. of the product. Napa uses the Echlin line of ignition parts, and they're pretty good. The prices you have listed are in line with the product. Some folks may be able to get those particular items cheaper, but how good is the product? If you know what I mean. There's a lot of Chinese crap out there flooding the market, so its a "get what you pay for" kinda thing. We've been a Standard Motor Products dealer since 1970 and our prices are a tick more than you paid, but again its the quality of the product in my opinion. Those parts should last you quite a while so I think you did good....  Thumbs Up
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:40am
they're about 1/3 to 1/2 what local NAPA and TSC want !! I was told each NAPA can set THEIR own prices so I ONLY use them is dire emergencies.

as for the cap, I do recall using a high voltage spray to waterproof the cap on a car 3-4 decades ago, and my 77 Landcrusier had a rubber booty on the cap.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:42am
Seems to me that NAPA is no different than any other parts place, whether it be Carquest, O'Reilly, or agco, JD, or Case IH. The prices on some of the parts are less expensive than you'd expect, some are right in line with what you'd expect, and then there are prices on some parts that are so high that it puts you in shock. Darrel
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:00am
That cheap ours are 31.99 at Napa here
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:08am
make sure they have the brass in the cap 
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:17am
That's walk in customer retail,NAPA and other parts stores have different prices for different people and businesses.When I worked at the concrete plant we usually received a price that was 40% off list price,small shops like service stations got 25%. You need to make friends with someone at at the NAPA store.All parts suppliers usually work the same way.Claims of one part being superior to another are true sometimes not true in other cases just the same part at a higher price.Starter for a John Deere 445 mower was $350 at the JD place for a 'rebuilt' one.Price off ebay for a new one  was $55 free shipping,both
guaranteed for 1 year.Lay them side by side and they are identical in every way,plus the so called rebuilt starter from Deere had no signs of ever being used.Lots of scams in parts going around these days in my opinion.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Claims of one part being superior to another are true sometimes not true in other cases just the same part at a higher price.Starter for a John Deere 445 mower was $350 at the JD place for a 'rebuilt' one.Price off ebay for a new one  was $55 free shipping,both
guaranteed for 1 year.Lay them side by side and they are identical in every way,plus the so called rebuilt starter from Deere 

Just repaired a friend's Craftsman snowblower starter.
craftsman $181
 Ebay $50
same starter, Tecumseh motor  
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:55am
We all get sticker shock. I remember having to replace the starter and alternator on my car years ago. Alternator $25.00 and starter $30.00. Now for the car I drive they’re about $200.00 each. Then when you pop the hood it takes half the day just to find what you’re trying to fix,LOL!
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
savedallis1953 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savedallis1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:46am
NAPA, the parts fit and work correctly.
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:55am
Some of NAPA's prices are crazy high. I sell Cub Scout cubmobile wheel kits. I get 32 dollars per kit plus shipping. That is four wheels with eight bearings, four 3/8" lag bolts for axles, eight stainless steel washers, eight hubcaps, and eight spoke covers to make up the kit.
We install the precision bearings when running the tires on the wheels. The operator missed installing a bearing on one wheel that a customer needed in two days. I had him give me the phone number of his Local NAPA store and told him that I would pay for one for him to pick up. NAPA's price for one bearing the same number I buy for a whole 33.46 for one. I pay around .60 per bearing. They are packed ten bearings in a tube. That store only had three when he checked. I have no idea how they could come up with a price lie that. I ran out of stainless steel washers and the hard ware store had two in a pack for slightly over a dollar. It was cheaper to pay to have them shipped over night.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:17am
Sometimes NAPA is a little higher than Advanced Auto or something, but when I leave the part almost always works and I can have an intelligent conversation with them.
If you have some foresight visit on their semi-annual filter/tool days for some pretty good filter and tool sales.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:57am
The napa here used to be great many many years ago, Now days they have gone to the dogs! They don't know a starter from a generator and the creeps that work the place are so drugged up that they cant find the parts room. I quit going there a long time ago. also the machine shop they have here screws up heads and blocks! ----Different locations----different service----different prices. thanks; ac fleet
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
System driven; if one location charges a premium price for an item, many companies have computer programs that populate the entire system with the highest price as standard in the system.
Nothing nicer than disputing a price that is far higher than what you paid at the same place 6 months earlier, then having the young fella turn the computer screen around and say "that's what it says in the system".
My favorite is Seafoam when I stop at a major auto parts chain here locally.
Always 11 - 12.00 can, I always take the opportunity to remind em' that Wally Worldsells it all day long at 6.80 each.
You have to shop around on some stuff, even though it can get time consuming.

I don't bother chasing tune-up parts on price as NAPA still tends to have consistent quality, but I still save the older condensers just in case . . . . .
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:30pm
IMHO NAPA has knowledgeable people and they have what I need so that's where I go . I do buy oil and washer solvent etc at W Mart . I once carried a alt off my old Chevy to O'Reilly and set it on the counter . Kid asked if I needed a new starter . Kinda sad .

Edited by ACinSC - 14 Mar 2019 at 1:42pm
Ksdigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksdigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:36pm
I recently bought some pinion shaft oil seals from Napa to save a 2 hour round trip to the Agco dealer. Thought the seals might be less expensive too. The seals I got were not very good quality. After using one, I removed it and went to Agco to get a set. Much better quality and ended up $2 a piece cheaper.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
Like a box of chocolate, ya never know whats ya gonna gets.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:03pm
Quality can depend on the management. Our local NAPA does not stock NAPA batteries. His thoughts on the NAPA batteries is that they are junk. Said he had too many returns. He handles Interstate batteries. Less hassle for himself...less hassle for the customer. He basically stocks everything with the thought that the less returns with problems he has...the better it is for the customer.   Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:45pm
I have been driving newer trucks for years so I haven’t bought auto parts for some time. However I recently bought an 03 diesel and the alternator went out. My trusted mechanic told me to go to NAPA. Said it would be more expensive but would last longer.

I’m also working on an old Steiger. None of the lights and guages worked so I decided to replace all the bulbs in the dash. O Reilly’s had packs is 2 for $5. I bought what they had and headed to NAPA. They had a box of 10 for $10 like every store used to carry. Went back to o Reilly’s and got my money back.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:57pm
Napa always is high priced, we buy from Car Quest and them at work and Napa prices are crazy high!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:08pm
Not here. Quality is great on NAPA parts and 90 % of the time parts are cheaper that O'Reilly's and American parts. I never buy rebuilt electrical from any place except NAPA. Their quality is far better than others.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:04pm
When it comes to ignition parts I always have the best luck with Napa. Especially with a set of points, they seem to be better quality.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
In a pinch last fall, I tried to get an engine oil filter for the F2 (433) combine at O'Reiley's for $11-Baldwin if I recall. They were out of that part # so I went to a Napa store and got their GOLD filter for $18 Unhappy . Figured it might have been cheaper than driving the 18 miles one way to the Agco dealer but am still kicking my own ass for doing the deal especially after reading this topic. Live and learn I suppose
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:42pm
Yeah, if you are buying filters from NAPA,
 wait for their NAPA gold filter sale.
 I think it's twice a year,.. usually just before you go into the field and once in the fall..
 Some filters are half price or better.

I buy most of my parts from them and work on other peoples stuff,
 so they throw me a good deal.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:17am
The fact they can sell their filters for half price shows just how much of a markup they have on filters and probably other parts as well.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 6:29am
A 50% markup on a low-priced item isn't unusual. It's probably justified too. There's a fixed overhead cost on everything. A 50% markup on higher-priced items such as generators and starters might be a little steep. I've heard that NAPA filters are rebranded Wix filters. If you can buy a Wix filter for less elsewhere, go for it. The same goes for any other part. As others have said, usually you get what you pay for.

Have you ever wondered how Ford/Chevy/Dodge can offer $10,000 off the price of a $40,000 pickup truck? That's seems to almost be a routine thing anymore.

Edited by DougS - 15 Mar 2019 at 8:40am
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:46am
i use a napa dealer, store that will do every thing possible to get what you need even if they have to go find you out in a field somewere and afterhours , and will get you parts even if its oem dealer parts so if i get dinged on a few few items i am still getting the best deal,  service and knowlage is a big thing for me
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:59am
There are Napa stores, and Napa stores.  The one closest to me is in the city, very good if you can find it in their website before you go  there.  Otherwise, old tractors are a definite weakness.  The other one is a bit further but in a small rural town, and when I need something that fits, and only have a sample, that is where I go.  They are much better at looking at a part, and going off to the back to find a look alike.  The last one gets most of my business, whatever the cost.
67 D15 S2
83 5015
Several Kubotas'                     
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:04am
WOW***50% mark-up? Wish I could do that on the farm. I will agree NAPA seems to have good stuff most of the time but unless you are "Somebody" that matters to them you are going to get "Hose Banged".
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:14am
NAPA    !  My  1st  choice ..  7  miles  away..   If i  ever  have a problem , part is replaced   No questions  asked..   Find  prices  are  decent...   Lots  of  AG  parts.        Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic