This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor and transmission oil substitute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbirdww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor and transmission oil substitute
    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 7:44am
My 48 AC-C calls for SAE 20 motor oil and transmission oil which I can not find. What are good substitutes?  
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 8:04am
Any oil you buy today is going to be far superior to the best available in 1948.

I would say 10W 30 would work good for the engine, and universal tractor oil in the tranny.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 8:16am
Tbone is right. A good 10w30 in the engine ( 4 quarts)  and Universal Hydraulic/ Transmission fluid in the transmission/ pto/ hydraulic case ( 7-8 quarts) .

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Jan 2022 at 8:17am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
bigbirdww View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbirdww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:17am
Thanks for the reply and I will try the 10-30. What would you use for the final drive. Cant find 145w. Thanks
1948 AC-C
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:31am
in old engines such as this, would it be beneficial to use a non-detergent oil so as to not loosen years of crud?
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:38am

Getting harder to find '10w'-anything anymore as many new vehicles are 5w- and even 0w- synthetics.

When I'm on my tractor out there in two degrees winter trying to get the groaning starter and chilled battery to turn over the engine just fast enough to fire, I seriously think about what the next oil change will contain ...

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by bigbirdww bigbirdww wrote:

Thanks for the reply and I will try the 10-30. What would you use for the final drive. Cant find 145w. Thanks

I would guess a gear oil , but only a guess. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 12:23pm
you can use 80w90 weight or 75w140 in the final drives... Some of the later tractors even started using the Universal Tractor Fluid....... but i prefer the Gear Lube.

if you have trouble finding 10w30 ( i dont), then 5w30 would be OK... The last number is the normal motor weight ( 30 wt)... The first number is the winter start number.. so similar to a5 or 10wt when cold .. easier starting than the old straight 20w or 30 w.
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 4:48pm
When we converted our tractors from 30W to detergent 10W-30, we changed the oil and filter after about 20 hours of use, then again after 50 hours of use. Never saw any issues. Not sure if this is right or wrong, but made sense at the time.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:13pm
I agree with STAN.. Everything i own uses Detergent Oil... Change the oil NOW and monitor.. If it looks like crap after 20 or 50 hours then change it out.. Better to get any CRUD out of the motor as compared to let it set... I have NEVER had a problem converting an old motor to Detergent.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 6:36am
Rotella 10W30 or 40 should have Zinc, which is sorta necessary I hear for flat tappet engines. 
bigbirdww View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbirdww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 1:13pm
Thank you for all of your responses. What a great site for wisdom. I did reach out to Lucas Oil for 145 W gear oil. I thought you might want to see their response. 
                   Thank you for your interest in Lucas Oil Products. We do not offer a straight weight SAE 145 gear oil. We have two gear oils that are multi-weight, SAE 85w140 #10042 and SAE Synthetic 75w140 #10121. These two gear oil are an API GL-5 meaning the EP (Extreme Pressure) additive has a high concentrate of sulfur and phosphorus which can be corrosive to soft metals like brass, bronze and copper. These gear oils are designed for hypoid gear sets for vehicles. So I would say unfortunately we do offer a product for your application. Have a great day!
1948 AC-C
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 7:55pm
just go with the 80w90...
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 8:49pm
It don't hurt to pay attention to the GL4-GL5 differences. I don't know if any thing in these old tractors has the bronze bushing to worry about(GL5)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic