Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mobile home hitch plans,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mobile home hitch plans,,??
    Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:02pm

I am workin on a deal to buy a Double wide 28' X 76' mobile home to set on our lot west of our home. It is a 1990 Remington Classic with Cathedral ceilings throughout. Also has 6" exterior walls which I like. My plan is to get it moved, make some minor repairs, and rent out as the lot had a single wide on it  when youngest Son and ex-wife lived there. Lot has a good well, electric and septic already there but them doing nuttin,,,,so why not rent it out and make some additional dollars for my projects,,,???ClapAlways wanted to be a businessman,,,,,,WinkWink
  I have been talkin to several house movers and,,,,,,,,and,,,them sons of beaches want to charge me $1,000 to weld on two of THEIR hitches ($500 each) as the original hitches are not there. I told 2 of the movers I would grind both hitches off after trailers are set and return them to their yards and both said,,,,NO,,!!!, Thas where they make their money for sure,,,,,The original hitches were BOLTED to the frames, not welded.
 All the movers I have called have asked me what year and brand the mobile home is as they have a book that tells them what the demensions are for all the different trailers so they know which hitches to bring,,,BUT none of them would tell me what the dems are,,,,,or where to get a book,,,sorry mfs,,,,,Wink
 I have looked on the web trying to find thet info but ain't fount it yet,,,,Anybody know someone who has that info,,??? I'd,,,I'd trade somebody some ICE COLD BL ,,,,????Clap That right there tells you how serious I am bout this,,,,,,LOL
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:29am
you want to become a "slum Lord"?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:04am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 6:27am
Same conditions here I am afraid, If the hitches were poorly removed they will NOT weld them back on and instead will charge for a NEW replacement hitch non-returnable and non-refundable. Has to do with insurance regs.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 6:31am
OK, thinking as I type and sipping coffee...
You only need to make one BOLT-ON hitch 'adapter'. I've never been able to drive more than one truck at a time and ther'e's the setup at the new location to deal with...

So, I'd crawl under the trailers and make real good notes of where the hitch was bolted on at the factory. Take a few pictures too !! Maybe make a cardboard cutout for the holes. I'm assuming 4 holes per side BTW. When you've got all that intel...measure from the frame to front of the trailer.
Be SURE to look at BOTH trailers !!!! It wouldn't surprise me the mfr used different hole patterns for main vs wing trailers...

Go to shop... grab a 4by4 angle iron,say 5' long. It HAS to be longer than the bolt holes of course...Buy a 2 5-16  A-coupler, 'find' 2 pcs of 2" tubing 6' long. Weld the 4 pcs together.Go for a real good precision fit of the tubing to the angle.Also you'll have to grind the 'corner' of the tubing where it gets welded to the A-coupler. That way it'll lay flat against the a_coupler insides for perfect welds.
This WILL easily support the 'tongue' weight of the trailer( <700#).
Use grade 5 or better bolts,flats(2),locking nuts... 8 of everthing.. to attach to frame.
You may want to bolt on a tongue jack to help assist in hookup.....

I leave the lights and chains up to you....

Depending on roads and distance , stop and retighten all the bolts.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 6:37am
he could make the hitch outta the frame from them ferds!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:14pm
Back when I was young and dumb, I lived in one.  The park required the hitch and tires be stored underneath.  Does this one have skirting on?  Maybe they are there?    Anotherr thing you might do is look around local parks to try to find one and attempt to borrow or rent it.  Maybe have some sexy young lady go talk to the husband or guy to talk to the wife.  You didn't mention if it had tires.  I prefered the trailer sit on a pad, but thats a lot of concrete.  However it does make it a lot nicer if you need to work under it.  Piers work well, but 10 or 12 of the footings for those would be a lot of concrete as well.  If you pay for my transportation and room and board I could come set it up for you! lol!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:37pm
I'm stayin out of this one...........safer that way!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:11pm
I would think any decent moble home sales dealer would have one you could rent or borrow.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
I don't think they will 'rent or borrow'...think of the liability issue....
you're hauling the trailer, 'something' goes horribly wrong, then the fingers will point to all partys including the mobile home dealer( it's his part)......
I hear Americans love to sue each other... the more the merrier....

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:23pm
Joe,
the guys are on the right track. fabricate plates to bolt up to the trailer, and bolt them to the trailer. Then, with a few measurements of width and length, go hunting for a hitch, swap meets, craigslist, etc, the things are everywhere. block up the hitch under your plates you fabed, get it reasonably square and weld away.
Like was said above, you only need one
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:26pm
this is not a car trailer... its 14 ft wide and 76 FT LONG !... The hitch is probably made of 2 x 10 C - channel . Tounge weight could be over 1000 pounds.  I agree you could make ONE and use to move BOTH, but you better start with some heavy channel. If you get someone to move it, they probably will not like the "home made" version... IF your going to move it a few miles with a Tractor, then maybe a home version would be OK.

Basically I think YOU ARE SCREWED... 14 ft wide is two lanes and 76 ft long is DOUBLE LONG so your going to need a special hauler with a special permit.   Unless your out in no mans land in NM and nobody cares.
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:11pm

Well,,,I been doin some scroungin and lookin today up in the Alien town,,, and I located 3 of the 2" X 10"  C channel hitches and one of them is a bolt on type,,,but wouldn't you know it,,,I forgot my dang tape measure at home,,,but I struck a deal with the guy to take the 3 and make 2 and sell the 3rd one to ole Shameless for his use,,,,,,,,Wink
  I'ma go get em Saturday morn and start modifyin the bolt-on one to fit BOTH of the trailer halfs.Clap
 I always used to call em "tongues" but I learnt from the movers that they are called HITCHES,,,,,,I asked one ole gal,,,"How do you describe the weight of the trailer on the ball,,?? Why it's called tongue weight",,,,she says. So,,I tell her it must be a tongue,,,,she just batted her eyelashes and said,,,,,,,,nuttinLOL I'ma start callin em Hitches just to show my good vocabulary skillsWinkWinkLOL,,,but,,,,but,,they is still tongues,,,,LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:38pm
OK, I gotta ask.. how many axles and what kind of wheels are on it ??

I've always thought that 5 bolt rims go with 3500# axles. Now I've got some Dexter axles with 'funny' rims, good for 5200-6000# per axle/tires(2600#/tire)
What's interesting to me is one set of tires says 'mobile home use only', so I'm thinking their 'disposible'...one way( factory to site ) NOT for 'real hauling'...

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:56pm
I spent 1 winter at local mobile home manufacturer as a welder in the frame shop. They used 8" I-beam for the hitches. They also used pintle loops for the hitches.
As for the tongue weight, it will more than likely be a few thousand pounds. Used to be they could be moved with a single axle truck. Now most of the mobile home toters are tandem axle. Can carry 20,000# on single axle, 34,000# on tandem axles. That gives you a little idea of the weight.
As I recall the axles they used were 7000# axles. So for example, if it has 5 axles, that would put it the range of 35,000# total weight. If you use the 10% rule, that would put the tongue weight around 3500#.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:39pm
I already got 3 of them hitches Joe....don't need no more! you can come gits one of them and have it free if you buy the trailer it's attached to!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic