Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop Battery Almost...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laptop Battery Almost...
    Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:26pm
My laptop in my workshop office went bad. It swelled up enough to split open the laptop's case, popped out two screws. I don't know if it would have caught fire, but just thinking
about what all is at stake out there. Three Allis-Chalmers, two JD's, tools, cabinets, lathe, welding, compressor, hvac..., implements, nut-bolts, steel and alum, spare parts.  My 5000 dollar foam insulation job. 
That battery fault happened quickly, sometime between 7 and 11am. How would you know, can't keep an eye on everything all the time.

How do you inventory and value a workshop full of stuff.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:03pm
You're very,very lucky... go buy a lottery ticket !

Some wonder why I don't have  laptop( latest and greatest tech toy, right ??).

When you consider the Ford flaming brake switch few years ago( yeah I got one...) I shake my head at what's inside a typical laptop. I prefer a real desktop,far less chance of losing important stuff like tractors and house.

Yes, I actually do own 18 laptops, 4 are from 1981 vintage, still work today on 4 AA batteries, the rest(PC or MAC) are E-waste.. I have to get rid of one day.

JAy

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Yes, I actually do own 18 laptops, 4 are from 1981 vintage, still work today on 4 AA batteries, the rest(PC or MAC) are E-waste.. I have to get rid of one day.

JAy

Wow! Are they the old Osbornes? I'd love to see one in person and see how it works/what it does. I saw an old ad for one once, and I'll admit, they made them seem pretty high-tech at the time. 
1942 B, 1948 G, two 1950 All-Crop 60As, 1958 All-Crop Super 100, 1975 860 Cotton Stripper
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm
I removed the battery and the laptop does run from just the charger.
Maybe I will leave it that way?
Gigabyte P37, just two years old.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
The 4 laptops are Tandy 100 and 102 units. Consider 1981... full size keyboard + keypad+function keys,builtin worprocessor, BASIC language as well,large LCD screen,modem,realtime clock, RS232, BARCODE ports,cassette port,also expansion ROM as well as full 'expansion' bus. 2 were used in answering service for sending messages to pagers( meme..1981 !), another checked for radioactive steel for local steel plant.
hmm...reminds me I have a Compac 'portable' somewhere downstairs too. DOS6.22,PLASMA screen, 10meg harddrive.. wonder if it's worth anything.

Jay

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:18am
my new laptop gets so hot, I worry about it too!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:12am
"How do you inventory and value a workshop full of stuff."

This is an important task, and the more effort you put into it, the more you would potentially get out of it in the event of an insurance claim!

Start with the basics.  Make a list, take photos, research replacement values, tabulate it all together.  Make a copy of it, store it in 2 places different than the area you're covering.  Show it to your insurance man along the way to get his blessing.  If you want it insured, that's the only way I know of.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:32am
Yep Tbone 's got it..LOTS of pictures and a list to your agent
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:39am
I have never had a problem with my flip phone or pager.............or slide rule for that matter.LOL
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:05pm
Might want to Google it for a battery recall.  I know Dell has doen that a couple times.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 1:42pm
Yeah, you want to make sure your collectables are not at risk. An automotive collector near here just a couple of weeks ago lost his total collection of nearly 40 vehicles in a fire while he was away on vacation. Some of his vehicles were very rare and worth more than a million dollars. Cause of fire hasn't been determined yet. It was a purpose built building. Must not have had a sprinkler system.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 3:13pm
or a proper monitored alarm system.
IDIOTS up here at Canadian Warplane Heritage didn't want my service ( heat +breakin monitoring). They 'lost' 6 planes + a ton of parts, 10s ot 1000s of $$$.
Considering they have 1 of 2 flying  Lancasters I was surprised they couldn't afford $200 a month... oh well...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic