This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:33pm
Turbo change kit is here, Ceramic coated manifold, new Borg Warner Turbo and mounting parts kit.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:41pm
Need a picture of that!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 5:20am

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:27pm
  It will be purrin like a kitten before long
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:27pm
Still gonna be awhile.  This purchase was a necessity as EPA is being ignorant again on 'NON Specified equipment replacements',, be a month or two be able to afford the reman injector set.  Head will get placed then that end will have to sit!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:07pm
And just like magic, got cam where I found acceptable, loaded in the head and swung the head.  Next up set head bolts.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:49pm
Looken good!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:13am
Just praying works as good as looks.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:52am
I can't believe you didn't mask it up and paint it before you stuck it up there. Use good paint.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 17 May 2021 at 8:54am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Nope, NOT putting a Jinx on it prior to run. NOPE, NOPE NOPE!!!  No paint til running and signed off..

That said scrounged around KNOWING I had a can of Detroit Diesel International Compound #2, finally found it for the head bolts but was REALLY light.  Cannot remember last time had it open or used any so greater than 25 years.  Got it from a retiring OLD Mechanic(He was 56) where he had bought it away from another OLD Mechanic some 30 years PLUS prior.  Still around 1/2-1/3 can(Quart), where I used it all the 25+ years I wrenched until moved fully into the Nuke.  Well anyway, popped the lid, rust hole thru tin can, rust on dry sides inside, the 'Peanut Butter' was nearly empty as well Rocked Up.

Ordered a new can a few minutes ago, $69 for a Quart paint can size.

Found out CAT no longer sells their in house head bolt lube.  Graphite based, NON METALLIC anti seize.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:29pm
That DD can has a smell all it's own....mines around somewhere...the old fridge in the back I think.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:15pm
As of this evening, ALL head bolts torqued to final set point of 330 ft.lbs.  Piecemeal work tomorrow on a little of everything and try to get that old Chevy dump truck loaded on the trailer.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 4:03pm
Four passes, first at 75lbs, then 200lbs with 1/2" torque wrench, next up TWO full passes with the 3/4" torque wrench at 330, and validated nothing relieved with a few interspersed rechecks.

This is all head bolts fully down and rag wiped up.

Spent this afternoon finishing up Bunk HVAC internals and controls then cleaned up set floor pan back cleaned and set mattress back.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 7:42am
Maybe a good time to express this as well.  

I seem to find the Orphaned parts accessibility machines for projects, the 7G was one, have been several others over the years as a 1969 Dodge W 300, another was a mid 70s Ford High Boy and a few odd others.  The current project is CAT, the engines for on highway usage were discontinued in the mid 2000's(2010 and 2011) where parts are still available(for now) but may be coming to a hasty end.

Kenworth parts has warned of oncoming parts availability to the cab as the W900 has changed drastically as of 2007 and model changes limit parts after around 10-12 years, mine is a 2004 built 2005 and already 16 years aged so right at epic point of no return.

Some HVAC system pieces are still available as used to other later models, some relays and old school hard wire electronics are already hitting obsolescence as found when bought one of two known to exist in US bunk blower HVAC control relays.  The WS Wiper speed control for intermittent is a rheostat style low mounted in the dash and NLA if should fail(Already checked), used is anyone's guess if still good.

Not trying to dissuade any restoration pursuits but we are moving ever faster into a planned obsolescence as a norm rather than a departure from same.  Was told by a Deere rep that many items I have bought in the past for tractor repairs here and for others are likely to discontinue being available for 12-15 year old and older machines where the plan by EPA and other entities is press for move to new/newer machines they can control as to emission and recyclability as wear out not rebuild.  The local Allis parts supplier also stated engine pieces for my 180D may be less available or less validatable quality this fall where I had intended to overhaul the old gal.

Scary times we are entering.

Edited by DMiller - 23 May 2021 at 7:43am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:26pm
  Yes, very much so, they don't want us to use older equipment that was built to last. They was to sell new equipment and send old to China. You see new older Fords running around in some countries but you don't see them offering to sell use any parts.

Edited by tadams(OH) - 24 May 2021 at 2:27pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:03pm
Most older US heavy equipment and trucks STILL are exported to Central and South America, keeps their expenses REALLY low.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 4:50am
Was asked yesterday when this project will be completed, not by the wife or concerned friends but of a potential buyer looking for just said year(s) of machines with repair pedigrees as he cannot find enough equipment in decent enough shape to fill slots.  Seems there are waiting lists for those machines that are in good order and waiting piles of worthless machines that need as much or more work as when I started this one.

Are negligible and extremely HIGH dollar used trucks in the market currently that get into bidding wars where he said if proves out well when I am done he wants first chance to bid for it.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:32am
Wow, so you can sell before you're even done with? I'm seeing potential business model here?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:48am
Would have to be done and running well, all tires on and all the repairs I noted as to the start completed so could pass a DOT inspect otherwise buyer is looking and NOT done!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:38pm
Sneaks a little closer, awaiting small consequential parts that have grown legs while the machine was apart long ago. Coolant system buttoning up as I go.
 Bunk work finally completed.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:40pm
Bunk  currently.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
Dave,
 Nice work! Thanks for the updates. Interesting about someone wanting it already!
Hope that can work out for you!
Bunk looks cozy!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:00am
  Bunk looks great and it might be hard to leave go with all the work and plans you have for it.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:33am
I think on Monday I saw someone else with your idea of truck tractor pulling a travel trailer. I am sitting about 200 yards from the road that ends at a lime quarry or the head waters of the local lake. Not near the weekend travel the last year, but the quarry never really slowed down. A guess of 20 to 50 trucks a day (the county wants x cents per ton road fee so quarry is real closed about how many loads a day, and I have never been so board as to count all day). So I don't watch trucks, but was surprised to see trucks on the holiday Monday. Then one sounded different maybe a kid in jacked up pickup trying to sound big.  I only see bits and pieces because of trees. So I would not be able to say much more than a classics square nose of a Pete or KW single drive axle followed by 30 to 40 foot of travel trailer. Had it wound up, never any variation of RPM but he had no real load for a big truck engine. Wink But a real trucker would not of wound it that much for 30 to 40 MPH on this little 2 lane road.LOL

Edited by Ray54 - 04 Jun 2021 at 11:47am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 12:47pm
Have a cousin with a single drive KW all dolled up for pulling a fancy horse trailer.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 5:54pm
Dave that turbo looks like a different style than others I've seen on C15's.
   Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 6:16pm
Multiple variants of C15s.  Single turbo typical S/N prefix 6NZ would be very similar to this one.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 9:19am
That coated evhaust manifold will be nice, should really cut the heat down
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:23am
Hope so on the Heat reduction.

Got into the old Rust t**d today, got it running again and loaded then tied down, aligning a weekend to haul to Lebanon and transfer to the 'New' owner!!!

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 4:57am
These were from last weekend, finally downloaded and resized.  Cab heater box complete down to the engine side AC Lines, fuel lines going back on the driver side and coolant lines done on passenger side.  Still have to install lower radiator hoses(Just received clamps) and a small vent line atop the thermostat housing and one coolant sensor for the ECM then will fill with 50/50 mix.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
  Share Topic