This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

K vs Early K2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K vs Early K2
    Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:11am
Is the clean grain elevator on a K and first year K2 the same size or are all K2s the larger / faster clean grain ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 6:12pm
By same size do you mean elevator width - then yes. Some Ks & early (1977) K2s had shorter elevator that allowed grain to exit inside grain tank. I think both had option for "over the bin" taller elevators. Taller elevator were same width as shorter ones, just longer housing & paddle chain.

Edited by AC7060IL - 14 Sep 2018 at 6:14pm
KY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:19pm
I meant diameter . I've heard a K won't handle 200 plus bushel corn very well due to the clean grain elevator overloading . I've also heard about a speed up kit but haven't found much info on it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:47pm
Each combine will handle so many bushels or tons per hour.  200 BPA means you travel half as fast as 100 BPA.  I have modified MANY F/F2/F3's to fill the grain bin better by covering the tank cross auger with a tube, but that only bothers when the tank is 75% or more full with wet corn.

Edited by DrAllis - 14 Sep 2018 at 9:49pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:00pm
I’m not sure what all models it was offered for, but there was a kit to install a second clean grain elevator on the right side of the combine just for that purpose, overloading in corn.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:03pm
Double drive sprocket for elevator on F or K corn machines should be 14 tooth x 19 tooth  not 14 x 14 tooth.   p/n 71151724
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 1:16am
KY...I've done 200 bu corn with my "K" several times. just slow down!
KY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:38am
Shameless, I'm not having a problem with it taking it I've just seen some posts on here and other places that it won't. I just picked up a 330 head so we gonna see what she's made of!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:03am
Harvesting corn always stresses things to the max. You MUST have a corn chaffer 1 5/8" round-end deep tooth. You MUST have the clean grain elevator slip clutch TIGHT.   A 330 head in 200 BPA will be slow going but it's still 300 to 350 BPH regardless.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 8:12am
Like Dr says get or make a 19-14 sprocket set to speed up clean grain. And assuming corn is standing good, Then....
Set cylinder/concave to shell corn, but leave cobs whole.
Select slow cornhead drive sprocket.
Open Chaffer, all the way.
Open air, all the way.
Open Sieve 1/2"-5/8".
Transmission in 2nd gear, push variable speed FASTER until you notice some grain in return elevator by right window. When you see return grain, SLOW variable speed until grain almost disappears.
Now your K or K2 is operating optimally in corn.

Edited by AC7060IL - 15 Sep 2018 at 8:14am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:59am
Any corn chaffer open more than 3/4" max will wind up plugging the lower sieve with cob bits.  Open the lower sieve very wide, but keep the chaffer at 3/4" or less (1/2" TO 5/8" IS MY CHOICE) and it MUST be a corn chaffer for good results.  Fan wide open. Get yourself a piece of thick foam rubber and block the opening between the lower sieve and the clean grain pan. This will force more fan air up thru the chaffer. DO NOT BLOCK BETWEEN THE LOWER SIEVE AND THE SHOE FLOOR.
KY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 9:02pm
I've shelled a ton of corn with it already with a 238 I just heard the clean grain backs up with the 330 head . I always drive slow anyway so it's no big deal . Corn special so it already has the right chaffer

Edited by KY - 15 Sep 2018 at 9:03pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 10:36pm
So, does yours have the 14 x 14 drive sprocket ? or the 14 x 19 drive sprocket ?? There's 25% difference in elevator speed.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Any corn chaffer open more than 3/4" max will wind up plugging the lower sieve with cob bits.  Open the lower sieve very wide, but keep the chaffer at 3/4" or less (1/2" TO 5/8" IS MY CHOICE) and it MUST be a corn chaffer for good results.  Fan wide open. Get yourself a piece of thick foam rubber and block the opening between the lower sieve and the clean grain pan. This will force more fan air up thru the chaffer. DO NOT BLOCK BETWEEN THE LOWER SIEVE AND THE SHOE FLOOR.
Sorry for my mislabeling Chaffer & Sieve. How you described them is what I meant. Thanks for the correction.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 8:29pm
the bin loading auger flighting must not be worn... If it will not take the corn away and into the bin , it will pile up and go back down the backside of the elevator and slip the clutch or if the clutch is too tight when the corn reaches the bin loader tube.. this is what the good Dr. mentioned and twist the clean grain auger in two..... check it out..
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:13am
Tim makes a good point.Sped up clean grain is a must.I made a 15T(2050 chain) driven sprocket to slow back down for soys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic