This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 DOZER RESTORATION HAS BEGUN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 DOZER RESTORATION HAS BEGUN
    Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:21am
We have started restoration proceedings for this HD5 dozer. Yes it is nice to have the convenient tools to work with. We got the tractor running ok and found that the steering problem was a broken sprocket shaft. The yellow HD5 in the last picture is the DONOR tractor and I have already removed a good shaft and will start installation today. My brother has started painting and I'll post more as we go.

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 1:31pm
Looking at the break in the axle - I wonder how so much stress could be places on that point . 
As it is inboard of the sprocket and the axle has a outboard bearing (link belt double row) at end of axle on truck frame. 
 Seems the load would have had to come from the reduction gear system (bull gears). 
Looks like some further investigation - then looks like you have that side of case open to find any other problems. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:08pm
Yes, Coke your right it warranted more investigation. It was such a clean break that there weren't hardly any metal filings and it broke so abruptly that it couldn't be run to do more damage. I looked up in there with lights and mirrors and called it good and have begun reassembly
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:12pm
Mel: Nice yard full of equipment.  Keep us up to date on your progress.  Nice little 5 you have.  Good luck on the repairs.  

Orangeman
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:42pm
I was looking at where the blade attached on the little machine, and wondering if that could side strees the shaft enough to do that, right off the axle support, is the truck saddle mount damaged at all?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:34pm
Be sure to check that top set of bearings on first reduction gear - every major failed rear I have seen that top bearing fails and breaks the rear case on outboard of that bearing
  As the blade hardware pushes against the rear housing - the outboard bearing by sprocket to truck frame is a 2 unit Link-Belt cone and cup bearing, then next inboard of the sprocket is large timken - the break is behind that bearing so flex of shaft it seems could not be stress from outboard of the sprocket without destroying both outboard bearings.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ABDave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 6:29pm
Well I'm the latest new guy here, but I just had to sign up when I seen this thread in the making. As a kid, I spent too many hours on an HD5 and an HD7. Or at least I thought it was too many hours at the time. I had the opportunity to operate a 16 and a 21 for a while and thought I had the world by the tail. Now I'm not what anyone could call a seasoned 'cat skinner,' but that 21 was some smooth machine. 
David Gantt N.C. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gantt N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 7:32pm
great pictures , look forward to more and when its done
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 12:07am
pretty impressive collection of other treasures in your yard too AC Mel.
Can see a nice HD6 in there Tongue
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 12:07pm
The shaft may have failed from fatigue failure due to its original machining. The failure looks like classic fatigue failure. If somehow the shaft was machined with a very sharp fillet where the bearing surface met the larger diameter toothed section it could have introduced fatigue failure. A few years ago I was asked to examine the output shafts of two angle drives that were used to turn paddles in large vats at a mine's mill. These were two new units identical to older units that had operated without problems for years. The units operated continuously and both failed about a month apart after 1-1/2 years use. They both failed by fatigue where the shaft diameter was turned down for the bearing. I took down all the data including the shaft rpm and plugged it into a formula to predict fatigue failure and it projected within days of when these shafts had failed. The only difference between the old angle drives and the new one's was the radius of the fillet where the shaft stepped down to a smaller diameter. It is also possible that the outer bearing was not in line with the other two and it introduced a slight bending action on the shaft or the outer bearing's mount could shift a little and apply a slight bending action on the shaft.  
Jack of all trades, master of none
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 12:14pm
Your explanation of the bending action could be a possibility. The mounting area for the truck frame support - the area under machine where the Y section of truck frame fastened to the cast rear housing . On one HD5 BI had there were cracks by the inboard fastening area (the bolted on clamp for shaft) 
 I had to re-shim the outboard bearing after replacing the axle and welding the rear casting. 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
Mel:  Wanted to ask a favor, can you post a close up picture of the support that are holding the 5 up in the air.   They look to be an excellent choice of support.  Channel iron and Ibeam - is that correct?

I would like to borrow the idea to use on support for my HD6 while I am working on it.  

Thank-you...Orangeman
EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:08am
Originally posted by orangeman orangeman wrote:

Mel:  Wanted to ask a favor, can you post a close up picture of the support that are holding the 5 up in the air.   They look to be an excellent choice of support.  Channel iron and Ibeam - is that correct?

I would like to borrow the idea to use on support for my HD6 while I am working on it.  

Thank-you...Orangeman
I like the the slatted table, looks like if you need to remove a few pieces of bar stock to let something hang down through you can
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 5:11pm
G'day AC Mel Its great to see the AC construction machines  being restored as they are slowly being forgotten , you have a nice collection there! How many do you have and can you post some more pictures please?
We have a couple in our family 4 hd11 a hd6 and 2 hd3 crawlers other than that there arn't many around where i live. regards steve
Jerry H View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:25pm
I have purchased a running hd5   May be in contact with you if I have questions.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 1:02pm
 My HD5G Srl# 26784   1955 year - bought it in 1972 - HD11 ceramic steering clutch plates, ceramic button clutch in main clutch . HV7 Injectors, put on new track in 1978, 

Below is the HD5 -HD6 track gauge. 
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:25pm
To go with new post
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic