This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 11 BRAKE LININGS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 11 BRAKE LININGS
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:24am
Hi guys, when I did my 11 I put new factory brake lining on both bands,  the problem I have is the brakes are very touchy especially the left one on a downhill turn which if not careful will darn near put you into the hitch, all I need use is my toe on the bottom part of the brake pedal, the right one is much better but still not like an old 3T 7 Cat where you put foot on the brake and if you need more you push, all one smooth motion. Downhill steep turns can be tough, touchy brakes is an invitation for a problem, I have never adjusted the bolt that supports the lining, I would imagine if the band was a bit loose and too much slack from the drum it would probably have a tendency to make the brake a bit more grabby or aggressive. What kind of clearance or adjustment is needed? turn the bolt in till you can feel it push the band into the drum and then back it out a turn or two? The other thing is my 11 has dry clutches and brakes, could the lining that I have be made for wet brakes? What would you think about flooding the clutch housings with oil, I have the bi-metalic disks, they tend to get grabby on an uphill turn, I do have the two tapered disks in one clutch but I can't tell the difference , maybe some lube would help smooth that out, a guy could put a small pump and circulate oil to a cooler. What say you?

Edited by Tad Wicks - 03 May 2020 at 11:26am
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:47pm
Old series HD11 or 11B? and is it set up with Hydraulic assist boost on the brakes?

Can tell from experience my 7G with Hydraulic assist was a BEAR when went to steer as someone had jacked the pressure up trying to compensate for a aged pump as well leaking system seals. When once repaired would throw one about inside the operating station. Even broke a retainer ear of the Right side shoes.

Dialed OFF the hydraulic reliefs so they would relieve WELL sooner than designed where even had to add more to the Left side and still adjusting back on Right. Getting WAY better.

Edited by DMiller - 03 May 2020 at 3:50pm
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:27pm
You should have 1 to 3 inchs free play at top stering cluch lever and 13/4 inchs free travel on brake pedal  and  you can't use oil in dry stering cluch housing
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:29pm
Oil or other lubrication will ruin dry clutches and brakes.

Along with DMiller's info, you should do a full adjustment of the clutches and brakes (including support bolts). Piecemeal brake and steering clutch adjustments on most crawlers are usually far less than ideal. JMHO
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 5:06pm
There is D6 9u next door that came out of Washington. Wink Where they have to much winter to tinker,and add bigger engines. It has been filled with oil in the dry steering clutch compartments. The story goes latter D6 B is wet deck and the clutch linings and brakes are the same size as 9u (nobody in California has been in it that i have heard of Winkso no body knows). Those that have run it say very little brakes the first hour until oil heats up. But other than that they like it.I have not operated it and don't know anything about it.

I have a HD 5 that has one brake that is jerky after it sits for a long  time. Gets better after several hours use. Have checked and lining is OK. Has made me wonder if the brake drum had a special hardened surface and it is wore off and it rusts more than the other side.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:05pm
Hi guys, it is an old Lanova 11S, no power anything except the motor and it has lots, no longer a Lanova. I know they make brake lining to run in oil such as the wet deck  and master clutch 11, the next series after mine so it has been done on those, i just don't know what was changed to do it. I would imagine the clutch linings being bi metallic would not change much, a part number check would tell the story, probably the same with the brake linings. The clutch housings can be sealed easy enough, (brake rods might be bit of a challenge) and if the linings are impervious to oil, I can't see a big problem, other than it might not work for lack of friction running in oil. Probably the best thing I can do is find a Cat drum the same diameter as the 11, buy the Cat old grey lining undrilled and put it on the 11 band. I sure am considering power steering as well, getting lazy in my old age.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:28am
The wet stering cluch need to have a small pump in front near the injection  pump and need a oil tank,a valve hydrolic,a booster and the parts inside stering cluch housing is completement  different .
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:19am
If the reliner put wet lining material on dry clutch brake bands that is going to be aggressive. The Wet lining material had to be more aggressive for the oil filled system as slipped easier.
Gcrawford1988 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gcrawford1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:27am
I have an hd11 ec I just bought the other day. Im needing to feline the brakes. Anyone know where I can order a kit or send my old brakes off to be relined?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Gcrawford1988 Gcrawford1988 wrote:

I have an hd11 ec I just bought the other day. Im needing to feline the brakes. Anyone know where I can order a kit or send my old brakes off to be relined?
  Rick Corder in Missouri

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:41pm
You can check the brake shop  near your place and check the price the wet lening are very expensif.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Gcrawford1988 Gcrawford1988 wrote:

meouch!Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 17 Aug 2021 at 6:08pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gcrawford1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 7:08am
Would anyone on here know if where I could get a service manual or an hd11 ec. I have the parts manual but needing the service manual and not having any luck
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:28am
did you try jensales?

Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:02pm
GCrawford1988...Send me a private message...I can reline your old brakes for you like new ones...Rick
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:45pm
Try Binder Books for the same price as Jensales you get a much easier to read book. Binder may not have the books you need as the AC stuff is a sideline to the IH books they started with. Also check out ebay for used originals.

I have a jensales book for a White tractor the coping is so poor on some pages they are almost unreadable. Much better than none, but poor none the less.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 3:37pm
yes if you can get an oem by all means DO!  but if nothing is available jensales may have a copy.  try ebay also i have bought several there

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gcrawford1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 5:02pm
Thanks for all the help guys. I took the brakes out they same to be in good shape turns out part of the linkage had come out of position. I got that fixed and she is turning good. Now I’m in search of a link for the left side track. Unsure if it’s the king pin or not because to be honest idk how to spot the difference. I’m new to the allis world.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 6:35pm
If looking for a Master Pin it will have a drill mark or machined 'Dimple' at center of the end flats.  Will be the ONLY links that have inserts instead of riding on the Bushing extensions.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gcrawford1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 7:27am
Does anyone know where I can find track parts for an hd11 ec. Needing a master link
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 12:21pm
Try:
Thill Track and Tractor- WI
Crane and Tractor Parts- OH
General Gear- ID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic