This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larslog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-3
    Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 11:25pm
I looked at a small a-c crawler today that I thought was a model M that was in the process of have'ing a small detroit mounted in it. How ever after looking at it I saw that it was marked HD-3 serial no.15 on the steering clutch housing.The current owner had bought it at an estate auction.Previous owner had started restorihg it,rebuilt the 2cyl.detroit and drive train.Was told this is a rare crawler.What I,m wondering is how many were built and are they worth much?-Thanks 
Sponsored Links

ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 2:12am
AC built an HD-3 in the 1940's which had a 2-71 Detroit Diesel in stalled. It was based on the Model M Tractor, but had a fuel tank seat instead of the older style metal type. I'll bet that's what you are looking at and it is rare. I'd buy it!
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 2:24am
They are rarer than hens teeth as i think Allis Chalmers only made between 20-25
with 2-71 motor in it.
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 2:58am
Wow,get the feeling Idaho got more than its fare share of those rare, little crawlers. A year or 2 ago, another fella from ID had one, #8 IIRC,for sale. It had an aftermarket or home made blade and was still a working crawler, earning it's keep ! lol

I'm sure it sold. My bid wasn't even close. Think it may've went overseas....?
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 3:02am
larslog View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larslog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 11:35pm
Well,I went ahead and bought it.There was another guy wanting it for the engine only and planned on scrapping the rest.I could,nt see something as nice and as rare as that is just scrapped.  GARY(OR) -Thanks for the picture and it is that first series of HD-3.Not sure what my plans for it are,would love to keep it and finish the restoration but I have about 20 more crawlers that I collected over the years with the idea that I would restore them after I retire.But the way the economy is I,m not so sure that I can retire,so am open to offers or suggestions. Thanks for the responses.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 11:39pm
Gary, I think you need to talk to Lars!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 3:50pm
Yeah John, I think lotsa folks are buggin' Lars right about now.

Best offer is gonna get the prize I guess. We need some pictures. Might as well post them here for all to see or put it up on ebay....

Edited by Gary(OR) - 22 Mar 2014 at 3:51pm
OrangeKiwi(NZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeKiwi(NZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 5:36pm
There were 28 of the 1942 HD3's made. The Idaho HD3 #8 is now in NSW, Australia.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 5:51pm
Seems them outsiders snatch up all the good collectables from here... smart fellers... saving them from going to scrap. LOL 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Terry G View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:56am
#8 is in northern Calf. beggining a full restoration. Sent the parts manual to the guy who bought it from me about a month ago.  Has my initials stamped on it and I showed my 13 year old son where they are so he can identify it in years to come.
1942 hd3 crawler
larslog View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larslog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 11:06pm
OrangeKiwi(NZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeKiwi(NZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:20am
Photo of 1942 HD3 #8 in its NSW, Australia workshop
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:49am
I was told by someone that all hd3's had been recalled by the AC factory due to  the fact they were produced early in WWII after manufacturing restrictions were imposed. Either all of the tractors were not returned or the story was bogus. If so, there are potentially 20+ tractors out there somewhere. I pursued an HD-3  about 5 years ago, but the trail went cold. Eastern Washington state.
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 6:36pm
Where exactly is serial # stamped. I know of supposed HD-3 in pieces , owner   can`t find any numbers   could be going to scrap if he can`t find numbers.

He knows AC crawlers inside and out so numbers must be in a strange place.

Thanks Tony
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 6:53pm

Would the REAL #8, please stand up?

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Apr 2014 at 6:54pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
larslog View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larslog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Would the REAL #8, please stand up?

Mine(the orange one )is not #8 and is not even #15 like I was originally told.After looking closer it is #23.
Terry G View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:22pm
Was contacted by the buyer of #8 that I had.  It did go to Calf. and now is in Australia. We were both correct I was just a little behind time.  Terry G in SW  Idaho
1942 hd3 crawler
roblgrace View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roblgrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:30pm
Hi Guy's, my name is Rob Grace from Australia. Number 8 HD3 is in my workshop. We are going to totally restore it. I am in the process of collecting parts. Not a lot known about these machines. Definitely not a model M final drive nor gearbox, but not HD5. I have found that the track chains are HD4. I believe that the idlers M, smaller diameter than the HD4. I have managed to find new HD4 sprocket rims but I really need to find some HD4 chains and plates. Any help or information with this restoration would be very much appreciated.
larslog View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larslog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:05pm
looking for any information,books,manuals almost anything to do with my HD3.Also was the HD5 built after the HD3?As they used the same engine was the HD5 an updated version of the HD3?  Thanks-lars
Birhta2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birhta2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:30pm
I got one in Idaho as well
Birhta2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birhta2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:32pm
How did you designate the production number? Off the serial number?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic