This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IDENTIFY AN OLD DOZER?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
daddywinz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddywinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IDENTIFY AN OLD DOZER?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 12:28am
I have a 2 hour drive to go see the dozer, and i'd like to at least know what it is, exactly, and also gather engine and weight specs before I go. i'm actually waiting until the seller comes back to the ranch from their winter home, so it'll be a couple weeks still.

she says it's an old AC, and it does look similar to an HD5 but...
the grill seen is just a shield, so it's no help.
I've googled a ton of pictures, but none seem quite right.

anyone know what this is, and it's approximate year?

thanks all,
kevin
Sponsored Links

Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 3:24am
That's a Carco model E winch. They were used on HD5/6 size crawlers.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 9:23am
I think it is a hd5/6. if it has a 2 cylinder Detroit engine it is a 5, if it has a 4 cylinder engine it is a 6. the rear outboard bearing and hitch assembly give it away. looks like maybe a Garwood dozer on it. more pics would be helpful. fuel tank also puts it as an allis chalmers.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 9:24am
Blade and cylinder arrangement seem newer than the tractor, judging by the sprocket cover probably pre-WWII vintage crawler but I have no idea what version. Can you get a better full side view?
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:29am
should be tag on dash below and right side of throttle housing with srl # and type 
also on rear housing on flat surface on back upper corner of housing 
looks to be HD5 B or E , depending on track roller count. 
grill guard is part of dozer and brush guard set up and not AC but aftermarket.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
daddywinz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddywinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 1:41pm
thanks for all the replies.
the original ad that I responded to did say "batteries" (plural). so, if that's accurate it'd be the HD6 with the 5.6L and 24v starter. ...the HD5 having the 2.3L and 12v starter.

that's a REALLY big jump in cubic inches. the HD5 must've been considered underpowered.

does the winch need a fairlead to be effective?
1954 WD45 tractor
?? AC Dozer prospect
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 3:32pm
original hd5 had 2-6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volt. they way to tell is the engine. hd5 is not underpowered if run correctly. hd6 added another roller and longer track frame and bigger blades could be put on.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 3:37pm
No, but in certain circumstances a fairlead would certainly help. I have one on a IH T-6. They were used on 6 & 9 series IH, so it's a bit oversized for my 6. It's a pullin' SOB.

I have a service & parts manual for the winch, if get it and have questions...
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 4:11pm
It isn't the number of batteries - it's how they are hooked together . 
The starter on a 2-71 is the same size or draw as one used on a 6-71 or other larger engines and is capable of over 1200 Amp draw . 
 When I got my HD5G there were 2 large 6V batteries - I went to 2 12V batteries but now with new starter and alternator instead of generator I use 1 900 CCA battery. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:12am
Information we could help you with would be it is an HD5 with ,yes a CARCO winch as stated, a CARCO angle blade (judging from the right side trunnion mount at the outboard bearing, but not being able to see the blade from another angle). It looks to be CARCO hydraulics with the front screen being CARCO also. As Coke stated the serial number should be on the dash (small aluminum tag in this photo)  photo P3160001_zps80086924.jpg
So if it's not there or legible it is stamped on the rear of the tractor and may or may not be easy to see photo P3160004_zpsc86f6350.jpg
It is right behind the freespool winch lever. (The lever that comes up behind the fuel tank is to disengage the winch to make it easier to pull out the cable) photo P3170001_zpsa9a1f232.jpg
We highlighted this one with a yellow marker so you can see where it is photo P3160005_zps0566830f.jpg
Just so you know when you get there you'll probably see something like this, the tank guard or a bracket bolted or welded to the tank guard will probably be in the way to see it easily. photo P3160008_zps9ad8fce5.jpg
This tractor has a CARCO straight blade setup with the hydraulic cylinders attached to seperate brackets mounted above the swing frames. It appears in your photos that those are mounted to the side of the hardnose type cover. (could be done either way, all this aftermarket stuff evolved on a daily basis at the different dealers) photo P3160007_zps8110c3a5.jpg
You may or may not see a CARCO tag (this is one of the few we have seen) photo P3160006_zpsf46dd4fa.jpg
The blade trunnion in the photo shows it attached to the outboard bearing/sprocket shaft. That was very common in all the early after market blade adaptions. It probably led to lots of problems like that. This one is mounted to the swing frame where it would cause les damage. These are just observations we've made from all the HD5's we have in captivity. So when you get a serial number post it up and some one will get you a year (1946-1954,my money says 52-54). The weight will be 16000 lbs + (this one with the ATECO blade weighs 16020 lbs) That one has a bigger angle blade and hydraulic cylinders. (Is your brain on overload yet?) We can take more pictures and post for you.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 4:10pm
Thi machine is a HD5 i HAD THE SAME 10 YEARS AGO
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 9:01am
Originally posted by daddywinz daddywinz wrote:

thanks for all the replies.
the original ad that I responded to did say "batteries" (plural). so, if that's accurate it'd be the HD6 with the 5.6L and 24v starter. ...the HD5 having the 2.3L and 12v starter.

that's a REALLY big jump in cubic inches. the HD5 must've been considered underpowered.

does the winch need a fairlead to be effective?

The 2-71 engine in the HD-5 is a 2 cycle engine so each cylinder fires ever time the pistion comes up. This gives them almost the power of a 4 cycle engine of twice the displacement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic