This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need H3 dozer advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need H3 dozer advice
    Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 6:50pm
contacted a guy today about an H3 he has for sale. He said it will need rails, left steering clutch, and it smokes (not sure what type of smoke). If I assume it needs a engine rebuild to fix the smoking issue, and one clutch needs replacing I would plan on replacing both, and replacing the rails what kind of money would I be looking at spending to fix these three major issues. I would have to pay someone to rebuild the engine, but I could handle the clutches and rails so that would save some labor money. I can buy the dozer for cheap but I want to make sure I want get a huge surprise when it comes time to start replacing parts on this H3. Any advice will be appreciated, ballpark figures and/or broad advice is fine.
Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:02pm
finding a good under side would be the most $$$ part.  I would say what you plan on doing you will have over 3k into when your done.  I hope its a cheap dozer.  
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:46pm
Case 580:  A lot depends on how you want the machine to operate.  New rails, and bolts to put the track pads on, with an engine overhaul  would easily run you close to $4,000.  I would look for a machine with a good undercarriage that is running and operational. 

There are few if any "cheap" dozers!
case580 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:53pm
thanks, I have heard enough already to confirm my hunch. Honestly, I wouldn't mind putting 3K in an H3 if it would be reliable. I think they are handy dozers.

This particular H3 had a full cage and limb risers, was that even a factory option on H3s?

Thanks for the advice.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:58pm

Case580: Full Cage or forestry canopy was an option, I have factory literature  showing them equipped with same.  Not sure what you mean by limb risers??

Any pics you can share?
case580 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 8:01pm
tried to post a picture, kept getting error messages.

Edited by case580 - 23 Feb 2010 at 7:14am
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 8:37pm

I would say go look at it. The H3 may not need as much as he thinks. clutches may be out of adjustment and maybe a tune up  who knows dont hurt to look but for a 1000 you realy cant go to wrong. If you still dont know take photos and post them on here we could tell you how bad things are.

160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
case580 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:32am
it sold last night while we were having this discussion.
Thanks anyway for the advice.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 9:29am
case580

I think you have discovered one of the pitfalls of publicizing details (the craigslist url) of a potential transaction online. I do not know if someone here bought it, but given the furor over Todd, Mike and Norm and the G, I doubt they would admit it if they did. I think that if you are seriously looking for an H3, you should use this opportunity to gain as much knowledge as possible, so that when the next deal comes up, you are ready to make an immediate decision, and only come on here to share your hunt with us.

Good luck on your quest.

Glenn
case580 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 9:39am
Glenn your right, I hesitated to post the link to craigslist. Honestly, I hope someone on this forum bought the H3 and will post information about the rebuild. I hated to hear this morning that it was sold but I am not the least bit surprised. Good luck to whomever bought it, hope it serves you well.
Thanks for the advice Glenn
Josh
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 4:23pm
Auction on 16 April in Washington, KS. There are at least two H3 and 1 HD4 tractors on this sale. Nixon is conducting the sale. Might be an opportunity.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:51pm
I have avoided crawlers with extensive needs as to running gear and not been sorry as yet. 

I passed on a HD5 last spring needed rails and rollers and sprockets, guy wouldn't talk down from $5400, another man bought it and it currently sits in a shed with no repairs and unable to do work.  The guy has offered it to me but won't take less than he spent, so I walked again.  Needs at least $4000 in parts in undercarriage work to get it working again, everything is worn beyond belief.  Has hydraulic leaks, engine leaks, needs a radiator and the guy that bought it knew it but thought he could patch it for a few minor jobs, he got stung but refuses to give in to the loss.  Been advertised on Craigslist a few times and a few lookers but no takers, no suckers.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 6:50pm
I bought a project H-3 several years ago. It ran and moved, but barely. Found out that new track chains were available in a warehouse in Southern Maine.I needed one but they would only sell both - for much more than I paid for the dozer. But I found Crawler Heaven in Palmyra, NY and bought a good track and a good sprocket for a fair price. So there are parts out there. Nothing like banging around the property, pushing huge piles of snow with an AC crawler. Now I gotta get serious and get her back in shape.
Bob@allisdowneast
case580 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case580 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 8:22pm
thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. I am inexperienced with H3s and it was my fault for not buying this H3 when I had the chance. This particular dozer was only a few miles from my house and his starting asking price was $1000 for a running H3 that he said needed rails, clutches, and it smoked (no telling now what it actually needed). The deal must have been pretty sweet, a buyer from WV bought the H3 as a result of me posting questions about the dozer last night.
No hard feelings, we live and we learn.

Edited by case580 - 23 Feb 2010 at 8:23pm
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 1:34pm
One thing about H-3's is that they are very easy to work on. Everything is simple engineering that most people that can handle a wrench can work on it. Not being a big machine, parts for homeowners to buy are reasonable, as most of these are not being used commerically.
1961 H3
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 5:02pm
H3 and H4 , HD4 machines are Industrial machines and NOT construction machines . I owned a HD4 for 10 years and had 5 times the problems of the HD5G I have owned since 1972. It was faster because of the shuttle but lacked the power and the just plain rugged construction of the HD5. 
 Now the HD5B dozer I had for 8 years worked good but the HD5G seemed to do just about everything the 5B would do also. Replacing the 5B with a Fiat/Alis FD5 now was going into modern age with 3 speed power shift / 6 way blade and 78 HP.
 For ones own toy the H3 is fine but plan on spending some money when it coms to repair.
HD 5 machines can be found for around $1000 to $3000 in running order with some repair or cosmetics needed .. Plan on $2000 to $3000 for undercarrage if you are thinking of any machine with less than 50% undercarrage left.
 Track work is expensive but there are ways out there to cut cost of rail height is good and rollers arent work out .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 5:02pm
I have been told about a H3 crawler loader with a 4-in-1 bucket located on an island near me. Apparently it has been siting a while and is very rusty. The rust is understandable because the island is surrounded by salt water. I really have to restrain myself from going to look at it. I use to have a H3 loader with backhoe years ago and it was a great little machine. There is no way I would be able to convince my wife that we need it.
Jack of all trades, master of none
worn rollers View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worn rollers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:09pm
looking for rollers and idlers for hd5 or whole machine can you help
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:59am
HD5 and HD6 undercarrage are the same, 6 has 2 extra links and one more roller. HD5B track is 2 links shorter than 5G track. Unsure of your location but could try Thill Track and Tractor in Eau Claire WI
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic