This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 fuel pump
    Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:28am
I just replaced the fuel injectors in my 5 and now it is harder to start. I did check the height of the ones before I took them out and they where set at 1.500. The book says to set them @ 1.484 and I did, I also checked the valve lash on the exhaust and that was fine @ .011 cold. I am now thinking of replacing the fuel pump, it runs about 20 psi at idle and about 40 to 45 when I open it up. I also replace the both fuel filters. Any thoughts?

Northern

Sponsored Links

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 4:59am
fuel pressure sounds ok to me, were they rebuilt injectors and by someone who knows what they are doing? how does it run. smoke alot? does it hunt at idle? is it super cold out? how many hours on it since replacement? may just need to get hot and work in.  sounds to me like the spray pattern is not that great, won't ignite the diesel at cold temp of startup. does she fire off with ether?  the fuel pump just delivers the fuel to the injectors, injectors do the work. sounds like maybe a bad pair.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Northern View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:34pm
Yes they where rebuilt injectors, I got them from http://www.dieselpro.com/dp-hv6injectorfordetroitdieselengine-rebuilt.aspx they where packaged well, srink wrapped in a box, plastic covers on the fittings, they looked good on the outside.
 It does run better and there is no smoke and it does not hunt but it was super cold.
I did have to pull the little pipe plug on the blower and shoot the ether in as I cranked it over but I did not like how long I had to spray to keep it firing before it came to life.
Now I'm thinking maybe it just had to take some time to pull fuel through the filters that I also replaced at the same time. I only ran it that once after the replacement. I will try it again tomorrow.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:40pm
should be HV7 injectors , the fuel pressure is fine at the readings you have.
using the timing gauge into hole in injector should give you the right stroke.
setting the rack adjustment so both open and close the same is other part.
watch the lines from head to injectors as they say you should replace them and no reuse , they tend to crack at flare and leak when reused. 10 in lb torque on nut I believe is the spec to tighten fitting.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Northern View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:28pm
Coke, I have the parts list book and that book on page 52 said to order injector poor word choiceembly 5228310 which is the HV6 and when I took the old ones out they had HV6 on them also. I had to do a miner adjustment on the rack but I did not replace the lines. I will pull the valve cover and look if the lines have any leaks when I fire it up tomorrow. I pulled the batteries today and have them on the charger now.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 11:00pm
Mine has the HV7 in it , 1955 machine and that is what i used in 1948 , 5B  I had also .
I never changed the ones in the other machines i had but they also were the HV7
 Getting it to run after filter change can be a either burning problem if you don't prime the filters before instillation.
 Afte having the lines crack on me I learned the lesson on overtightening as well as having a spare line around. The nipple on the head deform real easy also if the flare breaks.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic