This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chainsaw trade should i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chainsaw trade should i
    Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 6:43pm
I took my stihl 015 into the shop for repairs. While I was there I made mention that I had a 036 for my big saw. The guy is wanting to swap me a ms290 and a ms 310 for it . The 036 is a verry good saw. what is youre opinions.
Sponsored Links

BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 8:13pm
Keep it. The 290 and 310, while they are good saws, are glorified Harry Homeowner saws in comparison.  The 036 is easier to work on and will give less trouble in the long run.
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 8:18pm
The 036 is a pro grade saw, the ms290 and 310(the same basic saw, just more cubes) are midgrade saws.  The 036 will out perform them.  The 036 is easier to rebuild as well, as it has a seperate cylinder where the cylinder is cast with the upper crankcase on the 290/310.  I have a MS 290 and like it very well but I do wish that I spent the money on a 360(upgraded 036).  So it boils down to condition of your saw compared to his saws and how much you value speed.  Having two saws can be nice, one with a 16 inch bar for limbing and the 310 with a 24 inch for bigger trees. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 8:38pm
Thanks I have two limb saws a 170 and 015. His saws are in as good condition as my 036 . I thought I was just to attached to the 036 but it is alot smoother saw than the 290 and 310 . I guess I need to follow my gut and keep the 036 at home . Thanks again guys.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 8:45pm
Keep the 036. I don't think you will be as happy with the others. I had one, great saw. Let the carb. butterfly screw work loose and went between the piston and cyliinder. Shuts down pretty quick when that happens.LOL! You might want to check that carb. butterfly screw. I'd recommend a dab of removable threadlocker also. Would have saved me a lot of heartache(and about $350.00). I went to a smaller CS4400 Echo. Fast saw, just not as much power.
Tom Miller (IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Miller (IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:59pm
I have also been thinking of getting a newer saw but i love my 041 Farm Boss. Its a heavy piece but nothing can stop it!
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:44am
keep it.  I have an 029 farm boss I cut LOTS of wood with.  I had an 036 and it was a good running, powerful saw, but needed a rebuild so away it went.  I wanted a new 361 which is what a 036 is now but they quit making them.  They are now a 362(re-tooling factory)  Pretty much everything the same.  I know my Farm Boss may be a Harry Homeowner type saw, but it hasn't let me down in 10 years that I have been using it.  My wife uses a 025 and I have a 019T for limbing
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 11:43am
Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on the 029.  Mine is my primary saw, and it's a good one too.  It's just not a 036 or an MS361...
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:18pm
I love my old 029 with the metal body, but I just added an MS 390 to it before the last snow storm.  That brings my total to 5 Stihl chainsaws.  It should be obvious that I have a tool problem!!  I have a 009, an arborist model that i can't remember the # to (which I bought at a church yard sale for $120 and dearly love), a 170 (bought for $70), my 029 and the MS390.

One nice thing about the 029 is that it isn't too heavy.  For a lott of my sawing I prefer that.

Edited by Rawleigh - 25 Feb 2010 at 2:19pm
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 2:52pm
if you have something good...keep it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic