This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yooper Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer question
    Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 7:43pm
I want to haul my 715 backhoe using my 1978 Chevrolet C-60 dump as the tow vehicle. The truck has a 350 engine with a 4spd tranny with a 2 spd rearend. The truck has a pintle hook and an electric trailer brake controller. What would be the best length trailer for this application? Also which would be better, three axle vs dual-tandem?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 7:57pm
I use a tri-axle trailer with electric brakes - (3 - 7,000 lb axles)  I have 20 ft deck and 4 ft beaver tail . the hoe just fits so a little more deck length would be better as the bucket sets right at the back end of beaver tail . I built the trailer to haul my HD5G and modified it to haul D6 and the 2 yard loader I had . Have 8 1/2 ft deck , 
 Pull it with either the C60 tandem with RT 613  trany and 7:30 rear - 427 engine
Pulled it for many years with my White Super Mustang  6-200A engine and 5 X 4 tranys and 6:40 rear tandems 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 8:32pm
I like the stability of a tri axle but the savings on two tires and the difference from 7K to 10K axles is more than made up for in the scuff wear on the extra axle two tires and the added maintenance for another axle and sets of springs as opposed to going twin 10K with duals.

That 350 on a granny 4 may not like side swinging a tri-axle in tight quarters.

Hualed a buddies new purchase '87 580 Super E the other day, did it on my goose with 20' deck, 4' beavertail, so that length is a good suggestion. Mine was a tad overloaded with the hoe, a spare rear tire/wheel, a spare front tire/wheel. a spare 12" bucket and forks.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 8:49pm
Unless you buy used the  larger trailer as far as weight will have a FET (excise tax) added to the sale price . I have licensed my trailer at 20,000 - figuring  20% shift of load to pintl hitch  as standard distribution.  tri with slipper springs and 3500# 16" 10 ply tires has served me well for over 30 years. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 5:16pm
I've pulled both, tri ax, and tandem duals. I've noticed that a tri ax seems to pull a little smoother than a tandem, not quite so much jarring. Other than that, I'd have a hard time deciding one over the other. I did end up buying a 32 ft tandem dually for myself, because it just happen to be on the auction that I bought it at. If it had been a tri ax, I am sure I would have bought it, too. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic