This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to move a dead dozer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to move a dead dozer?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:02pm
It seems that in solving one problem I have created several more. I have wanted to have a dozer for the last 10 years ( must be a man thing) , well this weekend I save a really nice looking hd6e from the scrappers. Now it needs to be moved. I have equipment to haul it , but it has not been started for quite a while (it's in a remote location) so  it will have to be forced on to the trailer somehow. Any suggestion would be great.
Sponsored Links

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:00pm
if it turns over, take a few good batteries, a can of ether and get her running. go easy on the ether as not to lock it up. if it is seized or will not start, take a come along to raise the blade, chain it up and take a bigger dozer and push it on your trailer. it should move easily once in neutral unless the brakes were locked on. i would crank it awhile before putting the ether to it to be sure there is oil circulation. remove the precleaner to shoot the ether directly into the air cleaner and the warmer the day the better.  if the trans is locked in gear or clutch is stuck, tie the turning clutches back to allow the drums to move. good luck, keep us updated. nice to hear of another save from the scrap man.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:00pm
Another dozer or even better a track loader is the easiest.  A really big winch is helpful as well.  If you have neither a farmer with a 4wd or a large wrecker can be hired.  get lots of blocking, chain, and bars ready just in case.  If you don't know how to safely use chain and cable, please find some one to take along with you, it can be deadly.  
ron mi View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron mi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:03pm
garbage hauler with a roll off box if one is close. ron mi
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:28pm
I know of one guy greased up ramps and winched it on a trialor. The tracks where frooze on the JD 350.  How much dose it waight. I know some of the heavey wrecker services can do the pick also. If you have a drop nose trailor. put the back against the back of the tow truck and winch the crawler on to the trailor. Let us know what you did.
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:40pm
Thanks for the replys!  The trailer I hope to use is a 20 ton triple axle with a short beaver tail that I use to move my all terrain forklift. I will try to start it, but I am sure the brake clutches are froze up. I have  an 843 Bobcat I will take out to see what it will do but it weights a third of what this dozer does. Thanks again!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:13pm
The rolloff box works well I used it to move 3 HD5 machines , A HD5B I used come alongs to pull onto trailer.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:14pm
The Bobcat is pretty small for that but it should lift up the blade so you can chain it up and if you can use some block and cable you can multiply the pull a few times.  I've pulled a 6 hp Case steam tractor onto a lowboy with my JCB 185 skid steer using a single block.  I'm sure it will be an adventure.  Where in western Kansas do you call home?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:41pm
Here is the link to how I got my HD3 home which didn't run.  It might give you some ideas.

woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:27pm
CLS: thats the way to move a dozer! Ithink this hd6 weights #16000 with blade & winch. I live in scott city ks, 45 mi. w. of colo. border on hwy. 96. I need to figure out how post pictures.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:57pm
Send me the pictures, and I can post them for you.  chuckluedtke@hotmail.com
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 9:42am
I finally got my dozer on a trailer. The first try was a disaster wiating to happen, so after two hours of try to lift, drag ,push ,skoot ,hope it on to the trailer ,I called in the big guns,  a 37000# lift cable crane. Five minutes later I was ready to hit the road. Lucky for me my wifes cousin has a crane.( and he owed me!) will post pictures.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 12:22pm
Post the pics!  That would be a neat thing to see.
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:19am
I have a 655 non runner crawler with loader and a set of rear weights to load.  Wish we could do it like we did this one.  Will post pictures when we get to it...Dale
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 12:12am
Pulled the 655 about 1/4 mile to main road with a 8540 Kubota and comparible New Holland FWD.  And it took both to make the hill.  On the high ground we raised the front end as high as both could lift and backed the trailer and ramps under.   With a push from the Kubota, it rolled right on.  It joins it's little brother and older brother with the canopy.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 7:57am
If your engine is shot in this crawler or needs an overhaul I have 3 brand new engines that were made for the HD6 sitting here if you need one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:31am
This one has the 200 in it.  Was the HD6 a 344?  Would they interchange.  Was told it was not running good so they had the pump, injectors, and starter all rebuilt but could never get it running again.  So I am thinking that maybe the pump is off?   Where are you at in WI.  I live at New Richmond and farm in the Eau Claire area....Dale
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 3:53pm
I live over by Green Bay, not sure what you mean by the 200 engine, I was under the impression that thay all had the 344 in them, some like theolder ones had the lanova style and the later direct injection, mine are all direct injection.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 4:00pm
The 200 c.i. engine (D2200)  is 4 cylinders of the 301 c.i. used on 100 series tractors

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:24pm
Are your engines the 344 or are they the 6000, or the turbo charged 7000?
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:31pm

I kind of figured you were talking about the 4 cylinder versionof the 301 but I think we are refering to 2 different crawlers, to my knowledge the 344 cu in engine was the only one in the HD6, The engines I have are the 7000 turboed, which could be detuned if your worried abot the HP

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic