This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Used Schwann trucks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WIDB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Used Schwann trucks
    Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 7:55pm
There is a group selling used Schwann delivery trucks.
They are 2001 GMC 6500 and 7500- powered by 454 ci motors running on LP
Wondering if anyone in  WI  or MN has had any experience with them.
The GVW is 26000   175" wheelbases   150,000 mi
main question is size of flatbeds that could be installed and hoist considerations
Could use a small farm truck on the farm for hauling and towing
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:15pm
 From what I've seen here in the UP, I'd say buyer beware.... I don't think they have a very good preventative maintenence program.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 10:24pm
I know a guy who bought one, but It was very important to get one that was identified as being a good one. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:42pm
More than likely they are specked as box trucks and the frame will not support a hoist. Most trucks have a double frame or larger frame rails IF set up for severe service or for tip box use. 
 Think you would also see the placement of the rear axle is in the wrong position as box overhang to the rear axle setting does not match up. 
 Also front axle load rating may not be up to use to carry a full weight for a single axle dump. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 8:13pm
I worked on Schwann's equipment in a past job, they are pretty simple, light and not very adaptable to a work machine. The engine electronics are generally tricked into a general purpose mode to burn the LP, the base electronics engines do not like LP as it has to run rich to run at all. Fuel economy on these as memory serves was crappy at best.

Coke you are correct, they were set up for the box to be the rigid form on the frame, frames were light and the trucks although marked as 6500 series were not much better than a heavy ton truck. Hydraulic disc brakes, light duty 2 ton differential, and gas engine usually paired to a automatic trans.
WIDB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WIDB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:23am
Thanks for your input on the schwann trucks. Will check out the frame sizes
And would be good to change back to gasoline
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:43am
If you're serious about buying one, there is a guy in Black River Falls that has about 50 of them and they're all for sale. He must have gotten a good deal to buy that many. If you want, I can pm you his phone number.
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:23am
Wonder how many mpg they get
propane at 1.25 lots of money saved ?
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 11:22am
Son has a school bus converted to RV which runs on propane, With a Chev 366 engine he figures it gets about 5 MPG if lucky . AND propane when dispensed into a motor-vehicle pays road tax and sells for more than the $1.25 a gallon. 
 He uses it mainly for a parked place to stay and not as driving to places to see as says it's to expensive to drive to far. 
 Then figure my GMC 70 series Tandem Dump truck averages around 2 1/2 MPG with a 427 and RT 613 trany it's no cheap thing to drive either. My old White Super Mustang with 6 cyl -200A engine gets at least 4 MPG or higher while carrying almost 3 ton more payload then the GMC

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 14 Mar 2013 at 11:23am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
WIDB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WIDB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 9:28pm
Does anyone have any info as to setting these trucks up with a hitch to pull trailer with less than 10000# of Weight
I once heard the insurance is quite high if you do add a hitch to pull a mini excavator or large bobcat.
I would not put but 4000 mi a year on the thing
I am good at body work and could put together a cute truck
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 10:16pm
i wouldn't be afraid to put a flatbed on one because of a light frame. I have yet to see a flatbed that doesn't have an integral frame built into it. Even our Peterbuit semi that we turned into a dumptruck has a sub frame built into the box that the box sits on when down. The hinge for the box is on the back and the lift cylinder is mounted on the front. 10 or 12 bolts and it comes right off. All we had to do was pull the 5th wheel plate, shorten the truck frame to match the box and bolt on the box assembly As for a dump box on that small truck just cut the frame off just behind the spring mounts. Any box that hangs out past that point is usless anyway. A properly loaded truck will have to have the majority of the weight towards the front of the box to get weight transfer to front axle anyway. I know of a local guy that buys old Schwans trucks and uses them for tow trucks. One of them is a medium duty wrecker for small trucks. Another one he built as a roll-back flat-bed wrecker. If you looked at most wreckers built for cars, they are just 1 ton pick-ups with a different bed. I used to run wreckers, and help build a couple of them. All most people do to beef them up is put heavier springs on them or just add boosters. I've been thinking about getting one myself for pulling my gooseneck. As for the maintenance of them, Schwans has their own fleet mechanics, most are certified. One of my brother in-laws used to work at their plant in Marshall, MN. Another fella I know used to be one of their refrigeration mechanics. If you decide to buy one, remember their just like any other used car. Some good, some bad. Take it for a test drive, have a good mechanic look it over.   If your buying through a dealer you might even be able to get the service records.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic