This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrightk20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:44am
dear moderator, please get rid of mlpankey!
Sponsored Links

WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:17pm
I would vote for Unstyled WC. I took both motors and built them up. Both are running 65 to 75 hp. I like the diffrent look of them. Not alot of people have them around my area. I have two. one is going on four years same motor, and the other one i am in the middle of working on the motor. Want to have one to keep playing with....and alot going to have it all painted up for this summers pulling season.......Hope things change on here soon becuase i am to the point of not asking any opinions because you dont know whats fact or BS.
I have a few i talk to and thats it anymore.
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:09pm
wcclason what kind of hubs do you have on the front
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:08pm
Some unstyled WC had a 6 bolt front end. That's what I have. Not sure why though...
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
They used them in 1937 and then went back to 5 hole after that.
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm
The tractor I have is a 38..serial number checks out and the tractor was un change. Had cultivators on it for its whole life.Stayed on the same farm since new. Was an all pressed steel wheel tractor I guess u could say from factory....kinda rare for 38?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Bbc valves are 5.422 long. That's more than .300 more than 4.910.

You really don't follow yourself well and have no basic math skills. Better go edit your posts as no where do uou say to remove the inner spring. Why buy a $350 set of springs anyway?
back tarcking now in the rod says barneys valve and valve springs dont work are you?
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
And back to the topic of the conversation....You can have a great power to weight ratio with a unstyled WC. Not much can touch one in a 3500 lb class.
And another note....Has anyone ever thought of the amount of driveline power loss in a WC compaired to the WD WD45? Just a thought.....WC has Bell housing then a pretty simple trans. Then a tourqe tub then right into the rear axle housing. On a WD you also have the cam system that runs the hydro pump . Just seems like more rotating mass for you to lose HP in the drive line? Im sure its not much but maybe i am over thinking it.
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:49pm
Dont forget that drop axles are a very efficient transfer of power. Id stick it out with a WC, if you can turn the high gear ratio.  Simple and Cheap
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:58am
With the hydraulic pump and PTO gears and hand clutch removed, a WD or WD45 efficiency is the same as a WC. In fact an old WD transmission is the same as a WC, only located farther back in the chassis. The outboard (dropped) final drives have no advantage over any other bull gear design for power transfer.
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:24am
I was under the impression that it was slightly more efficient than other designs. I certainly like the hitch options because ofvthe added height.
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:48am

Great input guys. this is why i read the fourm! I kinda forgot you could strip all that crap out of the wd trans. That would help alot. All i know is radiator work is esxpensive for them! i can just go to the  internet and buy a new radiator assembly.

WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:50am
Sorry...to early yet....      Forum**
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:15am
   If I could of found one I would of had a WC. They are rare birds around here. My great uncle had one, unstyled, I think a '37. I finally got it after he passed away. I bought it from my great aunt for scrap price, without really looking at it. To make this post short and to the point, Engine ,trans, was full of water and had a busted trans. housing. All the bearings were siezed in the rear which was also full of water. I just didn't think it was worth the trouble, salvage yard had very limited suppy of parts, looked like a money pit, I lost $50 on it, end of story. I wish I had it to do over.....

They are almost impossible to beat in the 3500# class, but it has been done! Stripped down I bet one weighs less than 3000#, that allows for moveable weight to balance the tractor. I run a WD, stripped, it weighs 3300# my son drives it in the 3500, most pulls allow 100# tolorance on scales so we can weigh 3600# We can run 65 to 100 # depending on how the scales weigh where you are at.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:37pm
i was just looking at the pictures on that site and a few of them are pulls i go to...! maybe il see you around! what do you pull.. Michael?
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:50pm
Used  to do ok with my 7040
being i,m an antique , thought i might as well pull with one
Hug
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic