This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with a HD3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yfz450mxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a HD3
    Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:53pm
Hi everyone, looking to purchase a hd3 dozer/loader with gas engine, wonder if anyone had any advice on the machine, things to look for, common issues, price is right but just want to go in with some infomation behind me, anything would be great thanks
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:00am
The H3 is really a lot like a farm tractor with tracks. In addition to what you would look at on a regular tractor take a look at the undercarriage first, second make sure the steering clutches and brakes work well in both directions. Primarily this is where a bulldozer can cost you money and labor. When you try out the hydraulics check for speed of cylinders while lifting etc. If you leave the blade or bucket up in the air wait for bleed down time for the attachments to sink down on their own and for external leaks of cylinders and the valve bank. This will give you some idea how worn the machine may be. It's not that costly to re-seal hyd. cylinders but if you don't like oil drips (or attachment bleed-down) you may have to spend $ here. Slow lifting can be a tired hyd. pump. I've had an H3 Loader with a 4-in-1 bucket, it's fun for homeowner/acreage work but they're not a high production machine. Being that there's no torque converter you have to limit how much you push before you stall the engine. I need the patient approach on the H3 because I'm used to bigger bulldozers. You may want to try it out in all the gears, the one I owned used to pop out of 3rd gear, it didn't matter to me because you generally do more work in 1st and 2nd. Also check to see if the if the final drives leak oil around the out-put shafts, not necessarily serious but quite a bit of labor to change the seals. I wish you all the best in your shopping. I have a whole parts machine I need to sell (in the Pacific Northwest). 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
warddc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 10:57am
I own an H3. You can measure how much track wear there is. Measure the distance from the center of one track pin to another 4 pins away. When new the measurement is 24.1". 50% wear it will measure about 24-1/4" and 100% wear is about 24-1/2". I have had my dozer for about 40 years. It has been a good dozer but I have also done a lot of maintenance and repair on it. Redoing turning clutches right now.

Edited by warddc - 09 Dec 2012 at 11:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic