This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Pictures Model D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
D-allis Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Pictures Model D
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:38pm

I got this about a month ago. I sure am anxious to try it out.
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:48pm
Looks real nice. Does it have the range transmission? Looking for pictures of D graders with BEHLEN power steering.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 1:32am
I am not sure what range transmission is.  My brother has an older round tube D and I think it is like his.
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 3:08am
That is a nice one. Calvin i will try to get you some pictures of our Behlen unit on our D when i get a chance.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:28am
D allis that has to be about the nicest D- grader around!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:03am
I bought it from my neighbor who took it almost completely apart sand blasted it down to bare metal gave i dont know how many coats of primer and paint.  He completely overhauled the engine as well.  New correct tires  and chains.  All new hydraulic hoses ect.    He used it a few years to grade his drive.  It was in old Allis News years ago.  He loved the machine but then moved to town.  He can come here and play with it when he wants to.
AC 200 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 11:10am
That is nice. Would like to have to do some gadin on the farm.
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 1:06pm
D-allis-iowa HI nice looking D. What size tires are on it. I'm looking for 4 used tires to put on a Russlle grader for late 20's early 30's . The rim's are 24 inch have any leads

Thank You
Rod in MN
Ken McGregor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 1:22pm
Can someone please tell me why the front tires are on "backwards" to the rear wheels?

regards,
Ken McGregor
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:45pm
Depends on whether drive or freewheel according to the usual instructions on the tyres
Ken McGregor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:54pm
Thanks....I knew there should be some logic to it ;>)))

regards,
Ken McGregor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:37pm
The range transmisson ruduces the speed either by or to 30% in all gears. The lever is on the left and goes down to engage the low range.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 4:27am
Calvin Schmidt

re your motto

In the line that the way to more power is "Cubic inches and cubic money"?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 6:40pm
I thought I would add a few more pics along with the tire size.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 1:02am

What a nice machine!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 1:02pm
That is a very nice D grader and complete with all the options including power steering. With all those options it possibly has the hi-lo auxiliary transmission as well.
I have one question for you or any other D grader owners. Are the left and right blade controls together on one side of the steering wheel or is the left control on the left side and the right control on the left side? My D grader had the controls separated on each side of the steering wheel and I found that ergonomically it was the most awkward machine I had ever operated. I had never operated a grader before but I had operated a variety of TLB's, dozers, front end loaders and snow cats for ski hill grooming and the controls felt natural on all of them. Now, I am a professional engineer and not an equipment operator, but I grew up on a farm and seemed to develop a 'natural feel' for any machine that I was put on except for that D grader. It wasn't until I swapped some hydraulic lines around and placed the blade controls side by side on one side of the steering wheel that I developed a 'natural feel' for the blade in one hand while steering with the other hand.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 1:05pm
Whoops, I should have read my post more carefully. It should have read left control on left side and right control on right side.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 5:37am
Don, The blade controls should both be on the right side. The outside one is the right side and the next or center control is the left side of the blade. Inside one on the right is the scarifier. On the left side is the blade side shift, blade rotation, and the front wheel tilt.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 12:35pm
Thanks Calvin. I don't know if my grader originally was supplied with the controls separated on each side of the steering wheel or if someone changed the hydraulic lines to that setup. I can't see that anyone would want the blade controls separated. I am predominantly left handed so I have set my blade controls to the left side.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic