This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horsepower needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horsepower needed
    Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:18pm
What are guys doing to get more horsepower out of a wd Allis. We are wanting to make a pulling tractor and have already put a set of 38'' tires on it. I it also has the wd block with wd45 crank and d17 pistons and sleeves. What are ways of getting more ponies without major work. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:43am
Larger carburator.
R Schmidtt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Schmidtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:03am
Be careful not to over do it with that 45 crank shaft in there. That will be the weakest part of the whole tractor.
Allis-Chalmers field engineer (RETIRED)
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
I've got a carb off a gleaner e id sell if that helps
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:22am
There is horsepower to be had in the stock carb.  Drilling out jets and other things.  talk to Norm Meinert 815-238-4506, he has found some ponies in the stock carb for a local puller.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:40am

I've been finding out that the AC engines respond quite nicely to small mod's here n' there such as Distributor work, carb work, a play on timing, and maybe a little bump stick from Barney Taylor. My reworked Distributors work quite nicely with BT's camshafts. Reworking a large bore Marvel carb like a TSX464 or 773 will help in some small gains. We have quite a few modified carbs and Distributors out there working for our pulling customers. Its a lot of fun making these AC engines talk.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:40am
Larger carb they are power to be had with the original carb just not enough. Tighten the valve lash on the intake valves up add murphy roller rockers and degree the cam. The more you advance it the higher the dynamic compression goes Dynamic Compression is torque. Torque is rotational horsepower.anything else will require more cubic inches on a naturally aspirated engine.no replacement for displacement

Edited by mlpankey - 28 Aug 2012 at 9:07am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:12am
Put flat top WD-WC pistons in it and your compression will be higher than with the pistons made for the 4.5 stroke crank. Probably the cheapest HP out there.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:25am
You can raise your dynamic compression by advancing the cam. Increase intake valve lift by tightening valve lash if it helps run it untill murphys roller rockers come in. Bigger carb always helps. No replacement for displacement with stroke you gain displacement and compression 5.8 stroke d19 gas rods 413chrysler pistons.

Edited by mlpankey - 28 Aug 2012 at 9:41am
kniesshy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:50am
What else can be done? I have heard of putting a 175 cam in it? And how much extra horse will the gleaner e carb give me? Any other help is appreciated!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:11pm
Adding two oxygen atoms to gas seams to be a five percent increase in all rpm ranges.nitropropane.In order to get 175 horsepower is you need the compression the 175the has along with its cam carb and gov. A fellow has to find a egine with the horsepower he desires and basically copy it into his build platform. I copy the 403 moline when it comes omes to bore and stroke.

Edited by mlpankey - 28 Aug 2012 at 12:46pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 1:48pm
You're not going to get a lot of horsepower listening to pankey.  You will learn how to make a terrable combination of parts destined to fail or how to drill a camshaft full of holes in attempt to time it right.  He's telling you to build a 14.5 to 1 compression engine with cast pistons and soft junk rods.

The best thing you can do at this point is to time your existing camshaft to an intake centerline of 104, put in some WD pistons and put a little larger carb on and go pulling for a year or two while you're learning more about your engine and tractor.  Timing the cam will require some special tools and some help from someone with the knowledge to to so.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:28pm
You will never learn anything from rod but bad mouthing. Forged pustons are available for a 413 chrysler and the dish being. 3.25 accross the piston top doesnt make 14.1 either.

Edited by mlpankey - 28 Aug 2012 at 5:32pm
Brampton 02 gt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brampton 02 gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:31pm
I don't mean to hi jack the thread but I am finding this very interesting.  I am new to this so please take it easy on me - will an upgraded cam affect rpm's?  The classes around hear only allow 30% above stock.  ALso how hard is it to work over a TSX464?  Is this expensive?  Could I do it myself with some help
thnaks
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:30pm
you would be better off starting with a moline g carb . depends on how cam is ground as to where the power curve is
kniesshy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:54pm
So I'm seeing getting parts off of a gleaner e is what many people are saying? What all parts could I rob off a gleaner? Should I stick with the 201 or go to a 226? Will a d17 or 175 cam fit in to gain horse?

kniesshy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 1:04pm
Also, I what all can be done to stock carb? Should it be sent off or is that things you can do yourself? I think the wd also has the gleaner e governor but the place where the adjustable bolt is has been silicone shut. I is this something that would help to fix?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 4:40pm
Just bolt the whole Gleaner E engine in the tractor and you'll have an increase in HP from any Stock WD engine.
kniesshy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 7:12am
How much extra horse?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:32am
From 33 to about 54.
kniesshy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:09am
Have you heard of anyone punching out a 201 and putting 175 cam?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 9:46pm
yeah m&w was adding 1/8 overbore 50 or more years ago and their advetisement said it was 8 horsepower over stock  big power doesnt come easy

Edited by mlpankey - 08 Sep 2012 at 9:49pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by kniesshy kniesshy wrote:

Have you heard of anyone punching out a 201 and putting 175 cam?
If by punchin out, you mean boring the block, you could put some serious money in to have custom sleeves made. My 35 WC has 4.125 pistons. I might put it on the dyno next weekend for the heck of it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic