This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" drawbar height to 20" drawbar height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18" drawbar height to 20" drawbar height
    Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 9:14pm
If you go to pulls where the drawbar height is higher, what do you guys do to accomodate the change.   I pulled last Saturday at a pull with my D19 in a 7000 farm no turbo class but it was 20" drawbar height rules.   All the other pulls are 18".   I moved the extra weights I had to the front to keep the end down as the track was hooking up good and everyone was powering out and most front ends were pulling up.   Never got a chance to see how I would do as I sucked some junk in the carb and the engine started dying at 240'.   The rest of the guys were pulling over 300' so I never looked to see where I placed, too pissed off.    Just wondering what's a good rule of thumb to do on a tractor when you go from one place to another and the drawbar height goes up. 
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Sponsored Links

HARVESTMOONPULLER View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARVESTMOONPULLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 10:19pm
We have a D-ring we made that bolts to the hitch bracket. Use long bolts and washers we can bolt it below the bracket for 16", on top the bracket for 18" and on top the bracket with washers between the bracket and d-ring for 20". It works great because they go in increments of approx. 1/16" so you can get the max out of it.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 10:21pm
 Chuck, I have been there an sorta done that. Have things dialed in for 18" and been allowed 20", my advice ...subject to change... is ,is,is, is, .... you may.... want to stay at 18" and not try to grab that xtra 2" as everything you feel in the seat changes!  
 You may not have turned up the rpm, or added weight, but your pulling a new and differant tractor with those added 2" of drawbar height.  Knowing what I know now I would not try to change a setup I was comfotable with to try to gain an unknown at some pulls..... but ya don't know til you try.  I think it is Dick L who spoke of this a few years ago... and also lengthening a drawbar on a loose track. How many here set up a drawbar to hook up 2 or 3 or 4" back on a loose track if needed for a little more leverage? This should be an interesting topic.
KevinC(MD) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinC(MD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 5:27am
Gary, I sure do.  I will go extreme - 6 to 8 inches or more drawbar length on a loose track.  On a hard track I will move my pressures too.  You can't just start making these changes on a whim.  You have to keep track of conditions, tracks, how much rain/water on track...but any change, right down to the length of the chain, will determine my drawbar length, especially on a short tire WD. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:17am
I bought a 180 super rolling chassis and they had that hook point way back behind the tractor , said it worked better than up close, ill try + get measurements off the old drawbar
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:37pm
Mine is adjustable up and down but not fore and aft.  I usually run to the max height and will change it after adding weight
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:36pm
I am with larry run it as high as they allow
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:43pm
mine are both (wd and d19 )are adjustable up down and in out i always run right at the heigt allowed and will move in or out depending on track and chain  length on the sled  (long chain long drawbar short chain short drawbar ) 
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 3:48pm
In my humble opinion the drawbar hight is not as important and having your weights and drawbar set to where it gets the best traction without having to look straight into your exhaust pipe. I pulled my C at 13 to 14 inches when the rules were 18 or 20 inches.
The slight changes I made were only to compensate for the length of chain on the sled. I did raise it an inch or so if they used a long chain.  I hooked 18 inches back from the center of the axle on any track. I would have hooked at 16 inches back from center if I thought I could have gotten away with it. Why? Because the closer you get to the axle the more the load you are pulling pulls down on your rear tire rather than trying to lift the front. Pulling down on the rear tires is like adding more rear weights. Pulling on a long drawbar adds weight on the rear tires by shifting all of the tractor weight to the rear tires.  With the shorter hitch and just enough drawbar hight to slightly lift the front tires lets all the tractor weight to be on the rear tires plus what added weight of the sled pulling down tells the rear tires they have. 
If you pull on a long drawbar at 18 or 20 inches and it lifts your front much you are no longer at 18 or 20 inches.  I have pulled my Oliver 77 where they were able to pull 20 inches and after reading the track and sled chain set mine to 16 inches and took the trophy.
I used a long bolt and spacers on my B and C but used a pair of the short third links to adjust the Oliver 77.

Over the ten or so years I pulled I was not satisfied with what I could figure out pulling on weekends so I built my own pulling track. That let me try different settings as far as drawbar length, drawbar hight and tire pressures in a lot of different combinations.
Its called practice! Might not work for the experts but it sure filled my trophy shelves.

colroy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 8:10pm
Ipull my wc with a gleaner engine at 19 ive tried 20 and cant get the front end to stay down. ive pulled 20 years ive decided once you get it set where you are pulling a good level pull dont mess with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic