This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

160 diesel oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcFordHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 160 diesel oil pressure
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:19pm
Rather lengthy post, working a low oil pressure problem on my 160 with the Perkins 152 diesel.  With a cold engine the pressure was 55 psi and would drop to 0 relatively soon as the engine warmed up.  I pulled the oil pump out and found it was worn so replaced it.   Now has 75-80 psi cold but still after quite a while will eventually drop to 0 or so after warm up.  Additional info,  the oil filter was a cannister type and the PO must have lost the tension spring as when I pulled it apart the filter was just bouncing around in the housing, probably not filtering.  I have since changed it over to a spin on.  I have been told the cam bearings could also be a culprit.  Can these be replace with the engine in the tractor?  The manual I have is not complete on all maintenance aspects.    Anything else,  main bearings maybe causing the low oil pressure?
Sponsored Links

dscott View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:27pm
  Never worked on that type of perkins. But most engines lube in this order mains,cam then rod bearings. So as long as you didn't find a cracked or leaking pick up pipe, I would look at the rod bearings first. Or maybe an internal oil pipe ,say at the rocker arm area has broken. Are you using a know good oil pressure gauge.

Edited by dscott - 12 May 2012 at 9:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic