This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

street pads vs. grousers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: street pads vs. grousers
    Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:22pm

When I make sharp turns with my HD5G it pops rocks out of the ground and leaves a significant pile of dirt where the locked track pivoted.  I'm wondering if changing to "street pads" would help, but:

1) would they slip when pushing trees and large brush piles?
2) would a set be expensive (if they can even be found)?

I'd appreciate hearing comments and experiences!...........O_O
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:42pm
Street pads or 3 grouser tracks are used mainly on loaders where turning with loaded bucket would cause excessive load on track and undercarrage . I have rebuilt the pads on my HD5G into 2 bar leaving the center pad 3/4" lower than other two.
 On HD5B I welded on 1" stock onto grouser to build up and get more traction. You want a bite into soil to transfer power to ground.
 On dozer you would loose ground engagement and would slip the track in heavy push .
Best to anticipate your turns and feather the clutch and apply short jabs to brakes to complete turn .
 On dozer the blade load should just be enough to create good fill but not enough to slip track or lug engine down. Pushing in 2nd gear rather than low and using less dig when moving across area.
 To high of gear will will waste energy , to low a gear will slow job.
Unsure of you have 2 speed reverse but if you do only use high reverse sparingly as track wear is like 4 to 8 times higher in reverse as fwd.
 The 5G I have did a lot of dozer work with the bucket using it to load , level , back drag as well as dig.  If i was to go back to one machine I know i would keep the loader over dozer. Then with the FD5, 6 way blade i would never be happy with a 5B again.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 10:53am
Thanks for the feedback Coke.  I pretty much do as you say about feathering the turns, but sometimes when working a brush pile, I have to lock one track and turn sharp.  I've actually "slipped" the tracks when pushing (usually in wet or loose soil). I always push in 1st gear.  Only have a single speed reverse tranny.  Always thought a 2 speed would be nice for back dragging.  I don't know how many grousers my pads have, either 2 or 3, but just never paid attention.........will look next time I am near it.   Have a good day....O_O
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic