This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 20 cold start and moving snow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Farrell(Utah) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 20 cold start and moving snow
    Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:52am
Here is a video of my brother's HD 20 with a 6-110 Detroit making a cold start and moving snow.  I previously posted it on the farm equipment section but without the link.  I hope it works this time.

A(1937), 2 G, 2 WD45 diesels, 6 WD45 gas, UC, 2 WD, D17 gas, WF, Farmall 400, D12, Kubota B3030
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:17pm
awesome!! i love to see the big AC crawlers still able to throw their weight around.  sounds just like my dads HD15 with 6-71 only throatier? if that is a word.  wish my camera (wo)man was that good, id like to post some videos also, instead i have footage of the kids and the dog running around, and dozer noise in the background lol.  i have to say though.. that ol girl needs a shed... its cold out there
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:45pm
Near the end of the video it stated that the torque converter used the fuel supply (diesel fuel) as the fluid for the converter. Is that true on these tractors? Doesn't make sence to me.
Yea, I can fix that.....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:57pm
Dave, I just checked with my brother and the torque converter does run on the tractor diesel supply.  As he said, if the tractor runs out of fuel then the torque converter can't be hurt LOL.
A(1937), 2 G, 2 WD45 diesels, 6 WD45 gas, UC, 2 WD, D17 gas, WF, Farmall 400, D12, Kubota B3030
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:03pm
Amazing. I would have thought with that kind of pressure it would heat the diesel to an unsafe temp. I wonder how they circulate the fuel and keep it isolated over such a long loop.
Yea, I can fix that.....
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:20pm

Too bad they didn’t include more of the Garrison Dam footage; there was a siamized HD-20, the right track was removed from one and the left track from the other then they were joined and a 20 foot blade added. The dirt haulers in the film are Euclid 25 yard center dumps which leave the dirt in a wind row. The siamized HD-20 was used to spread those wind rows. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:30pm
Dave,  according to my brother, the tractor engine used only a portion of the diesel that was pumped to the injection pump so the fuel circulated between the tank, torque converter and the injection pump in lines.  Seems like a clever idea.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:35pm
Lee, I have seen pictures of the "siamized" HD-20 working on the Garrison dam.  What a beast it must have been.  The flexibility of those tractors was quite impressive in terms of their compatibility for various kinds of teamwork. 
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:19pm
What a brute!  Thanks for posting!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 9:46pm
Great video. The Garrison dam footage was particularly interesting, as that dam is only about 60 miles from me, and I've been across it several times. When you see this dam, it is hard to comprehend how that much dirt got moved  to build the dam. It got put to the test this spring, as it was fuller than it had ever been. The HD20 moving snow was awesome as well. Had a chance to get an HD20 once for free, but couldn't even justify it for the price it would have cost to have it hauled home. And the motor had a picture window in the side of the block as well. It did go to a good home though, and I've had the opportunity to go see it. Thanks for posting the video, Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic