This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#83 Plow-Why are bottoms tripping so easily?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #83 Plow-Why are bottoms tripping so easily?
    Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 8:17pm
Had this plow in really loose soil and two of the three bottoms trip really easily.  Tearing apart the first bottom doesn't really show real wear anywhere.  Any tricks to make these trip less?

Edited by nowaktj - 13 Oct 2011 at 8:17pm
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 8:46pm
That trip mechanism doesn't match my plow frame book for 70 or 80 but matches for 9000. I can't figure out how it works from your picture and the parts book. The parts book doesn't show the strap from the bottom of the spring going down. At least I don't recognize it. There are parts shown loose that I don't know where they go.

A wild guess is that maybe due to a rusty pivot or 3 that its not latching solidly or that the flat spring holding down the latch bolt is weak. Or it might be that the back side of the slot on the stub beam that pivots is worn at an angle a lot like worn gear teeth in a transmission that tends to pop out of gear. My 2000 has shown the opposite effect. Its never tripped which I attribute to rust and a lack of trip mechanism lubrication.

Gerald J.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 6:59am
Check the long leaf spring, it is cracked or about to break.  The leaf spring keeps the roller in place

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 8:40am
Put a washer or two under that spring. On a 2000 one washer is supposed to add about 500# additional force required to trip it. You probably have to knock out the roll pin to do it. 

Man that spring looks rusty. Might want to replace it.

Edited by Lonn - 14 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 9:04pm
Well, I tore it all apart and built up the surfaces with weld that the roller rides against.  Two of them wore quite a bit.  The bottoms no longer trip!      Been plowing with it and had to pull the coulters off because of all the trash.  Helped some.  Today, I have been plowing in disked ground and it seems to be better yet but still plugs up.   Is there more trash then ever?  Another factor could be that the moldboards are not shined up yet.
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 9:05pm
BTW, that spring setup in the left of the picture doesn't do squat.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 10:26pm
Sometimes you have to chop stalks or disk them to keep the plow from plugging.

I see there are a few 9000 op manuals on epay, perhaps one of them would help understand the trip mechanism and its adjustments.

The U on top the pivoting shank worn to a V would tend to make them trip often.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic