This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working On A 1939 B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texaskeykeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working On A 1939 B
    Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm

I typed the whole story of this tractor but my silly computer refreshed the page. lol

So ill have to make this short. I’m 14 and love working on tractors (got a lot of tractors and implements but only one Allis so far but this is the Allis forum so I don’t suppose anyone cares to hear about them) with my grandpa. This little tractor pretty much got us interested in collecting (though I had always been. We now have 5 more tractors than then) we got real lucky by getting this one because it would not have lasted another day. Way too good of a tractor for 500 if you ask me.

Well since we got the Allis it pretty much has sat by the farmall M until a couple months ago when we built our tractor shed. A couple weeks ago I began taking the little Allis apart and cleaning stuff up. Runs pretty good just needs a couple seals and such and should be getting some paint mixed soon. Tired once but the guy did have references for the code or something so I’m going to have to bring him the oil pan which has some paint that looks pretty good yet.  

Also got the cultivators that ill paint later and im going to head north to OK  with my grandpa to pick up a sicle mower and plow some times soon

Few quick questions before I get to the pictures. 1. How do I get the steering wheel off the shaft? Nothing for a puller to grab. 2.  Where should I get seals and such for the PTO and belt pulley?

Thanks!

Edited by texaskeykeeper - 11 Mar 2011 at 9:24pm
I work on all brands of old equiptment with my grandpa but i love my allis!

"You can't save them all but you can sure have fun trying"
Sponsored Links

Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 12:03am
Good to see you finally got your post out. Did you find out anything about getting the torch to it yet? Didn't know if you still had an issue with that or not. Heat is my guess for the steering wheel. Somebody should be able to help with the seals.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:37am
Iv seen your youtube channel and seen you on another forum restoring a super mta!
Welcome to this great site!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 10:15am
Somebody used an air chisel with a blunt end on the backside of the hub,guess it worked!
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 10:27am
Are the spokes on that steering wheel coated like the rest of the Steering wheel? If so and if it is in good shape, I wouldn't put heat to it. Why do you need the wheel off? Maybe you could remove the  clamp from the support, remove the toolbox and get the thing apart from the bottom up.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
texaskeykeeper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texaskeykeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 10:41am
Reese,

Yep i finally got around to it. Great site.

R.W,

Ok neat.  This site sure looks great!

BobHnwO,

Well farmers and their tractor modifications. lol. Although i can't say i have't modified a few things on the work tractors.

CTuckerNWIL,

the wheel had some coating on the spokes but it was about to fall off and sure enough it did when i was messing with taking it apart. I need to get me a new wheel on there and I need to put a bushing in there too.

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 11:51am
You should be able to get seals from advertisers on this site or from Motion Industries or any bearing supply company.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 1:41pm
When I took the steering wheel off of my B (it still had some original orange paint on it, so I took it off so it wouldn't get messed up), I was able to put a small puller on it. Take the castlenut off & put a smaller nut on the threads so you have something to put the puller on & won't screw up the threads. I was able to put the puller arms on the small hub of the steeringwheel. Spray a little penetrating oil on & good luck!
texaskeykeeper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texaskeykeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:04am
ok thanks guys!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic